Is writing easy for you?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by SMTM, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

I do. It's one of the only things I really think I'm good at. I'm naturally artistic, so I have something special that I think A LOT of writers today, despite how good they might think they are, are missing.

2. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I could probably sell my art but probably not my writing. Everything else I have to say would be superfluous.

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

I have good ideas, but I fail to express them sufficiently.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

I don't even consider myself a writer. If a publishing house ever pays me for my stories, then and only then will I consider myself a writer.

5. Fungimandias

Fungimandias New Member

I have the same problem.

6. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Honestly? No, I think I really suck as a writer. People have told me otherwise but I still find myself not believing them.

7. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

As i said before, one must BELIEVE they can do it, if they want to achieve. If you don't think you can, then you will never achieve. Most of success comes from your mental attitude!!

8. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I think that's true. Although I think they are also many other variables.

9. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I've been told I'm a good writer. My biggest problem is that I'm highly critical of my own work, even if its good, and I'll often question the quality and my own talent. Most of the time, I just have to ignore the little perfectionist naggings that come up every once and while and keep working on whatever it is I'm writing. Once I'm done, I generally can read it over and modify to the point I find it "acceptable" in my insane obsessive-compulsive word of perfection. :) An example is right now I'm working my first novel and I'm maybe 140 pages into it and keep questioning the quality of it. So I've been doing my best to ignore the desire to start over. I know that I've got editing to do, but I know its not nearly as bad as my perfectionist mind thinks it is.

10. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I can’t wait to find out if I am a good writer. I’ve been researching and planning for my first book for a year. Slowly I put the storyline, plot, and characters together. In the meantime, I write to improve my execution, so that when I do write a book…

maybe it’ll be good.

11. CommonGoods

CommonGoods New Member

Lets just say that if the faith of humanity was based on my writing, we would all be doomed.

But to be less cynical, I don't think I am a terrible writer. Sure, I can't write a novel if it would save my life, but my short-short-stories are pretty good, and there are still people out there who write me mails wondering how my poems are comming along. I guess that counts for something, right.

Right?

12. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I believe I am a fairly decent writer, but no genius. I like trying my hand at wordsmithing, but I am always very critical of my own work. However, others seem to think I do a pretty good job... I just hope one day it sinks in to my own head and I actually start believing that.

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I believe I am good enough for my knowledge level now. But as I gain more knowledge my writing should get better.
    Even the best writer still needs to refine his tools. There is never a such thing as a good writer or a perfect writer.
    Writing is always refined and always made better.
    And this refinement is what makes someone a good writer.
    Not the way he writes, but the way he grows is what makes him a good writer.
    The way he gains more knowledge, that is a good writer.

Hope that made sense and didn't confuse anybody.

14. sailor_venus

sailor_venus Member

I enjoy writing, but I wouldn't say I'm good. Not at all. Also to add to that, I am too safe.

15. Steve Benson

Steve Benson New Member

I've been told I'm pretty decent at poetry, but that's really all. I've only had one truly great short story, while the rest have been...ok enough. It really depends on the reader. You can't just say to yourself "I'm a good writer" because its your own work. You just don't have a vote.

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Of course you have a vote! :eek:

If faith in your writing does not begin with you, I can promise you that it will begin in no other place.

17. Jon

Jon New Member

Not particularly, but I don't hoooneestttllyy know whether or not that I am, this is based off of what I know about myself. I kind of joined here to get more confidence and help.

18. Ennui

Ennui New Member

Well,writing and writing is inexorable when living,and writings is written by humanity hitherto.I am not stimulated into writting much,solely essays would befits.I write what is requisite and not a hobby,as I do not take it as a hobby.Essays is likewise writtings,and essays are requisite in exams,ergo,I am sanguine when writing essays.

Newspaper reports stimulates me,and perhaps,I would be an editor of a newspaper organization.

You ought to be conversant with of what you love to do,you cannot attain your accomplisment if you are not stimulated in it.

19. kehl

kehl New Member

I have the same answer as most of the people so far. Which is: No, I am not a great writer but I hope to someday be. It's all a process ; )

20. Redsrock

Redsrock New Member

I don't think I'm a bad writer, but I'm definitely not a great writer either. Sort of in between I guess, trying to find my own personal voice.

21. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually
    I think I'm a pretty good writer, but I have this problem with reading my own writing (and watching my own acting performances). I don't know why really, but it definitely helps to have other people read my writing.

22. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't really care how good I am, I am at as good as I can be, and I can improve.

23. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Almost everyone who has replied to this topic has made a modest response ("no, I'm not a good writer" or "I'm only a moderately good writer"). And yet nearly every new member who has joined this site in the last couple of weeks does so for the sole purpose of wowing everyone with his/her INCREDIBLE, AWESOME, ASTOUNDING, SUPERLATIVE WRITING TALENT. Most new members resent that they must review the (crappy, boring) work of others in order to post their own (amazing, earth-shattering) original work.

Of course, I haven't belonged to the site for very long, so my research in this regard may be incomplete.

Does it seem to others that membership in this sort of group is a generally humbling experience...? (That's a serious question.) xoxoxo

24. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I'm probably going to get accused of arrogance for this post, but I believe myself to be a very, very good (bordering on exceptional) writer. If I didn't believe myself to be so, and didn't want to keep bettering that, I wouldn't be a writer.

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Scarlett. I agree there are a lot of new membersw who do just whaqt you say, except most of that set never even bothers with an intro post. But there are also many new members who are frank about their need to improve.

Most of the first set don't hang around long when they realize reviews aren't just a gift here, but a cooperative process.

As for me, I haven't responded to the thread before this for a reason. I think I can be a good writer, but I'm still early on that journey. Furthermore, I think those who think they are at the end of that journey are the most deluded. ANYONE can improve his or her writing, and those who think they have reached the summit are probably right; sadly, from the summit there's only one way to go.