Is Writing Fun?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Elgaisma, Dec 11, 2010.

1. m5roberts

m5roberts Member

When I was in high school, I was on the cross country team. That's long distance running, 5k per race and more at practice, if anyone doesn't know. I feel about writing the same way I felt about running. While I was doing it, I hated it and wondered why I was so crazy to think it was a good idea. I would pick off mile by mile just longing to be done. However, when I got to that last mile or so, I started to feel great (a second wind, they call it). It wasn't until this point that I began to like it. When I'd finished a race, the feeling was absolute content.

Every time I go to write, I dread it, just like I dreaded running. It never starts fun, but by the time I'm done, I feel a great sense of accomplishment.

2. Bartleby

Bartleby New Member

Writing is a form of escape for me, to exit the real world and enter my mind. The only place besides with my soul mate that I feel comfortable.

3. EagleOne

EagleOne New Member

Absolutely, telling the story is fantastic. They flow like water in my mind to the paper. I still hand write many of my tales. The act of typing interrupts the flow and encourages on the fly editing (the worst!)

So yes, the storytelling aspect of writing is immensely enjoyable and for me is quite separate from the mechanics of writing.

It's one of the reasons I don't like my employer knowing I write novels. I end up getting assigned all the department's business writing (yuck).

Cheers,

4. I love writing.

Editing, revising, re-writing. . . not so much. But it has to be done.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

That's sort of like the musician who loves to play but hates to practice. :D

I think there is a range beyond which an activity that some do for "fun" becomes something else, something deeper and more important. And the more important it is, the more serious we are about it. For a lot of us, writing is not just what we do, it's who we are. It defines us.

There are many things I love to do...make music, read, watch movies, cook. But none of those - not even making music, which I dearly love - come close to writing in terms of who I am. I suspect that many others here feel the same way.

I can laugh about music (including mine), and lots of other things I do. I cannot laugh about writing. It is the one thing I am completely serious about. In short, it's too important to be "fun".

6. EagleOne

EagleOne New Member

Interesting concept Ed.

Once upon a time in a city far, far away I worked for a woman whose husband was a concert violinist. The man didn't so much as practice but play because the music was as much part of him as the air in his lungs. I never saw the man use sheet music. Many of his peers in the strings section sounded as good to me (I suppose I don't have the ear for it; I still think CDs and vinyl sound the same) but they always used the sheet music and you could definitely tell the difference in the way they played. Where her husband had his eyes closed most of the time and just played, the others played with fabulous technical skill concentrating on the piece.

To me, one had a miraculous talent and his life was the music and the others were very accomplished musicians.

I believe I am a capable writer who is a more exceptional storyteller. I doubt I will ever be an outstanding writer because I have zero desire to edit and re-edit. One or two runs after completing the tale is all I can tolerate. After that I'll pay someone to put the final touches on.

Work is what I do to make money. Writing is what I do to have fun. I never want my writing to become work, though getting paid for telling a compelling story would be nice. :)

Cheers,

7. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Someone should start a new thread: is being published fun?

I can only speculate with an emphatic yes.

8. Hartnell

Hartnell New Member

Writing is the only thing that makes me feel alive, it is all I have ever wanted to do. I was born to do it and so yeah, it is fun. But it is more than that. It is breathing.

9. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I don't care much for writing, but I love storytelling. I love creating characters, worlds, and plots; those things are fun beyond measure. So I have fun while writing, but I know it's not the act of writing I'm enjoying, but the story that's being written. Writing is merely a means to an end.

I also enjoy driving, but hate working on my car. However, when I'm driving down a fun stretch of road and feel a shudder in the steering wheel, or the brakes aren't biting as hard as they should, or there's a knock in the engine, I know it's time to pull her into the garage. The car, and the maintenance thereof, is a means to an end.

I would be lying if I said wrenching on my car never put a smile on my face. Because I know next time I take her out for a spin (literally :D) it's going to be even more fun than it was before. That's how writing is to me. I don't hate it. I don't love it. But I know it's the ticket to doing what I want to do --telling a story-- so I can't have fun without it. Thus, it becomes a form of 'fun' in its own right, if only for the promises it holds.

So, to answer your question, "yes, writing is fun."

10. DarkIntuition

DarkIntuition New Member

In general I love to write but when it comes to a lengthy project I find my inspiration often times leaving me and scrap the project.

11. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

Writing's like a love affair. One moment the romance is entirely present, hot and passionate as I find myself churning out page after page, poring over what I've written, editing and revising, even deriving a great deal of joy from just that. Characters, plots and ideas just roll out onto the page (or computer screen, more properly). I find myself entirely invested at such times, hardly able to keep up with the wealth of thoughts. At other times, however? The feeling grows a bit cold, and I just can't summon up the energy to get involved in a work. I'm more apt to groan inwardly when looking over something I've written than anything else, and am so much more likely to doubt myself as a writer. I do tend to find, more often than not, that the more effort I constantly impart to some project, the more likely I am to stay enthusiastic about it.

Still, it's one of those things that I can't quite control all aspects of, and there's no saying which way my thoughts might turn in any given moment.

12. lost123

lost123 New Member

what makes you enjoy any writing?

Thanks

13. flanneryohello

flanneryohello New Member

Readers are individuals with individual tastes. There is no one correct answer.

Certain genres are more popular than others. Romance has long been the bestselling genre in fiction.

If you're asking because you want to write what's popular, that's the wrong way to go about things. Writing requires hard work, dedication, and passion for the story you're telling. Write the story you want to tell--there are readers out there who will enjoy whatever type of story that may be. If you "fake it" by writing a story that doesn't personally appeal to you, readers will know. If you even manage to finish.

Chasing trends and popularity is a terrible idea for an artist. By the time you finish writing your story, something else could be popular. ;)

14. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

Mostly, readers like well-written fiction.

15. lost123

lost123 New Member

I understand that but I want to learn more to write better. I am really focused on these stuff, I want to write something likable and smart in its way.

Thanks for replaying

16. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

If you want to write well then be an omnivorous reader and read whatever you can get your hands on. Once you find what you're really passionate about writing, then write that.

17. flanneryohello

flanneryohello New Member

Write the kind of story you want to read. Seriously.

1 person likes this.
  18. lost123

lost123 New Member

If your answer would not be helpful, then please don't write it. I asked questions.And I am interested in what others might like.You might find my questions annoying but that's why I want to learn what others might like.

I never learn anything talking. I only learn things when I ask questions.
    Lou Holtz

19. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Take a look at bestseller lists and see what kinds of books make it on there. Those are the books readers like to read.

Just keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean that the books that appear on those lists are well-written.

20. Cornys

Cornys New Member

I've always found fantasy/romances to be the most popular. My self, I enjoy mid-evil and fantasy the most.

I'll always tell people to write what ever it is that they like to write after going into a popular area one time or 2 to rack up the readers. Once you pull out of that area some of the readers might follow you. If you don't care how many peopel read it, then I think that you should just write what you feel like writing and let the world decide if they want to read it.

21. lost123

lost123 New Member

Thanks and I just want to include everything in one piece of work.But I would try to focus on what people like mostly and what I like.It helps my brain to become healthy..

22. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Trying to appeal to the mass public is a bad idea (especially for a new writer). Flannery has some good advice about writing the stuff you like to read.

23. lost123

lost123 New Member

I know it is a bad idea but I write for practice. I proofread a lot and I try hard to make the piece of writing as perfect to me as possible.I don't write for profession, just to enjoy my time and challenge my brain.And I search in what subject I write.Also, I practice writing in a specific area.

24. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Actually, that answer was a very serious and honest answer.

Start out by writing a story you would want to read whatever genre that may be. You'll end up developing your own style as you go. The more you write, the more practice you get. The more practice you get, the better your writing becomes. If you don't like what you write first, then you can always go back later and edit it.

The bottom line is, if you don't enjoy what you are writing, you aren't going to write a very good story.

25. twopounder

twopounder New Member

Just a suggestion, but if someone is going to spend time to respond with a positive answer, I highly recommend respecting it, even if you don't agree with it.

By the way the original question is phrased, it sounds like you're looking for an easily marketable story (it seems your not a native English speaker, so it might just be the translation). There is no such thing as a sure fire story or the perfect book. Everything is hit or miss, really. Nobody can explain why two books, written equally well, do so drastically different in sales.

Also, as Thirdwind said, making your story too broad is detrimental. Keeping track of a number of characters and plot arcs can become tedious enough in one genre. Consider it a finite amount of space in a box. You can only fit so much in it and the more of item A you put in, the less of item B it can hold.

But nothing prevents you from writing multiple genres. Most writers stick to one type, but there are a number who write whatever they fancy at the time.

I suggest putting pen to paper and simply writing whatever comes to mind. See where it takes you. You can also pick the 4 W's from random newspaper titles (Who, What, When, Where) then come up with the why as you write the story. It's a good exercise.