1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Is your job the same that you wished earlier?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mans, Mar 11, 2019.

Some people complain, they wished another job for future, but they are not satisfied of the job that they have now. Are you among them, or you found the same job that you dreamed?

2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The normal 9-5 was not for me, so yes, being self employed is all that I dreamed of. :D

Malisky, Xander17 and Mans like this.
  3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I have had some pretty awesome jobs, and none of them are what I suspected I would be doing or wished for.

When I joined the US Marine Corps I became a F-18 Electrician which was awesome. I traveled all across the Pacific and learned a huge amount about aircraft and military infrastructure, which I find useful in my writing. After all, experience is the best for research in writing.

After I left the military, I became a field service engineer for transmission electron microscopes. It's challenging, interesting, and the work that I'm helping to facilitate is potentially life-changing. I get to work with Nobel laureates and many many spectacular doctors and technicians using the microscopes. I love it.

I never imagined I would ever be involved in either of these jobs. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything though.

My end goal now is to work for NASA. I would like to design habitability systems for space stations or facilities on other objects in space.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  4. Mans

I'm glad about the scientific career that you have now, especially about joining NASA which I consider it as an international researcher organization that work in aerospace field.

I had a theory about formation of the earth and wanted to offer it as a paper to NASA. At the time my English was very weak and couldn't write the article, nonetheless I sent a letter to NASA with my broken English and announced about the theory. The responsible of the section could read my letter ( probably by difficulty) and welcomed me. He enlightened me how I could send the theory as a formal paper to NASA and he also sent me the address of the relative section. But sadly at the time I was not able to prepare my explanation in case of an article in English, so I had to ignore.

However, I love this scientific organization as well and hope to find this opportunity to write the theory with all its explanations and send to NASA. This theory lights some vague parts of the earth story.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Malisky, matwoolf and EFMingo like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm not a career person. For me, while I was still working (I'm retired now) I just had 'jobs.' I had jobs I really liked, but they weren't careers, and I didn't have to worry about them when I wasn't at work. My biggest criteria (besides decent pay and conditions) was liking what I was doing, liking my boss, liking my co-workers, and being able to get enough time off to do the things I really want to do with my free time (that nobody pays me for.) I built up a good work record, which meant I was never unemployed longer than I wanted to be. I didn't earn as much as career people do, but I liked my working life a lot.

The lack of a high income could have hurt my retirement, but fortunately my husband has a good pension, with widow's benefits included, so we're okay. I'd be less okay if I'd been on my own, though. It's one of those things. When you're young, you're not all that concerned about retirement income. You should be. I just got lucky.

Malisky, Mans, matwoolf and 1 other person like this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I work as a soils lab tech at an engineering firm.

When I started looking for a job, I wanted to work in a library or at a history museum.

I love my soils lab job -- wouldn't trade it for the world.

Malisky, matwoolf and Mans like this.
  7. Mans

I agree. Somebodies fall in love with their jobs later, gradually, and some just try to do their task mechanically without haveing a special feeling to the job.
    Usually scientific and artistic careers are along with love and enjoyment.

I think the most jobs that people escape from are repeatedly works that should be done monotonously. Nonetheless, somebodies even love such the jobs; it dependent on the mood of the person and the type of the work.

8. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Semper Fi!

I too have had a long strange trip that started on some yellow footprints. When I joined the Marines, I was contracted for some random option or other, but I scored high enough that they sent me to special screening in boot camp, which ended up with me being sent to linguist school to learn Korean. At that point in my life, all I knew of Korea was that we'd had a war there and tied, and it was in Asia. Probably somewhere near Vietnam.

So there I was, a typical Reagan-era right-wing pigeon who had enlisted rather than let Dad send me to college, and my brain is being wrenched open with not only foreign sounds and grammar, but foreign thought patterns. Confucianism, shit like that. They didn't put those names on it, but to understand the language, you have to understand the culture, no? Who'd have thought that the military, no, the damn Marines would be the jumping-off point to a more international perspective in life? So I bounced around, did my four, got out, went to college. The Soviets had packed up shop, but the Middle East was still open for business for a young man interested in the way humans interact when they really, really don't like each other, so I decided to do Political Science with a side of Islam in university. Itchy feet, I found out about a study abroad program in Istanbul and popped over there for the summer. At night, I hung out with "the boys who never drink water but only drink beer and say 'fuck' to Allah," and in the daytime I argued alongside the Islamist students in my class for the rights of the religious to greater inclusion in Turkish civic life.

And then I got back to the States and started to stagnate.

But one of my classmates, an American girl from [REDACTED] who moved like a snake when she wasn't thinking about it had gone on to get her certificate and become a teacher in Istanbul.

Teaching abroad?

I had student loans, Turkey wasn't going to cut it, but I cleared those out eventually and started casting about. Teaching in Japan? Sure, why not, my Korean teachers raised me to loathe the Japanese. I guess growing up under occupation will do that to you. But I found a job in Japan, came here for a year, year and a half, something like that.

Then I met this girl...

Malisky, matwoolf and Moon like this.
  9. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Errahhh!

Recruiters were actually quite pissed I refused to go to cryptologic linguist school. I just couldn't find myself really wanting to decipher codes in other languages, or pack hike with the grunts as a translator. I dont regret telling them that I wanted an aircraft electronics job or i wouldn't sign the papers. Career started off with people in my face. Didnt get much easier from there.

"Then I met this girl" is the reason I'm still in San Diego, and will be for a long while

10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm red/green colorblind, unq on anything with wires. As for hiking, in my day it was "If you can't truck it, fuck it."

Malisky and EFMingo like this.
  11. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

I was a hugely messed up soul with very low self esteem, though with many positives lurking in the background helping me survive and make slow intermittent progress without being consciously aware of them.

I was average in school, though excelled in tech drawing and the workshop subjects.
    Grew up without being encouraged to venture into hobbies or personal endeavours.

I found myself constantly acquiring labouring jobs outside and in factories. Was never interested in office jobs or anything technical as I believed I didn't have the mental capacity.

I was offered an electrical mechanics apprenticeship in my mid teens due to some bosses seeing my excellent work ethic. I was still far too messed up and my undiagnosed depression caused me to be sacked on the 4th year, thus I never got my license.

Mid 20s I ended up learning plastering and ended up being the best cornicer in the southern part of the state for about 15 years, though it took me a few years to develop the high level of skill.

I started off only able to throw 100meters\day, and the work was low quality but passable. After a few years of experimentation, figuring out efficient ways to do the job, I could easily throw 200 per day and finish the day feeling like I hadn't worked at all.

I had no dream jobs, not in any age period. I was simply passionate about learning and doing my best in whatever came my way.

"Know first who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly." - Epictetus
    ( ha, if only I knew this before I hooked up with my ex wife, marrying her was definitely a huge mistake based on not knowing myself well enough)

Now that I have a jolly good understanding of who I am and my abilities, my dream job, which I'm currently doing in a small capacity that has room to grow, is to help folks with their soul issues...hence the three books I want to write. I envision the info in those three books will occupy me for the rest of my life.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Malisky and matwoolf like this.
  12. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

I've been an army officer, a navy rating, a coastguard officer, a fireman and a policeman. Those last two are my current jobs. I was an office drone once, briefly, but I don't really talk about that. Too traumatic.

Honestly, the things I've been involved in with those jobs have made a mess of me, but I wouldn't change my past for the world. I'd like to change my ability to cope with bits of it, mind you.

I think my current job with the police might actually be my dream job- I get to do crazy awesome things that most people only see on TV and work with some amazing people, including my partner, with whom I've developed a full-on Buddy Cop Movie relationship.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  13. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

No.

Xander17 and matwoolf like this.
  14. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

Can't think of any at the mo as I'm engrossed in the final edit of me book, but surely there's many a dream job out there for folks who are direct and to the point. A quality I admire by the way.