1. Danvok

Danvok New Member

It by Stephen King

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Danvok, Sep 10, 2012.

I'm working on this behemoth of a tome right now. I'm on page 191/1138. In loose terms, I'm a few pages into Part Two, where it goes back into the childhood days of 1958. In all honesty, I was thinking the book was a little long winded before I read Michael Hanlon's personal journal entries on Derry. From here, it looks like things are only going to look up!

Anyone read this book? Or seen the movie? What do you think? Don't spoil it for me! :p

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

King is very long-winded in this book, but if you can wade your way through it, it's one of his better stories.

It exploits the fears and weaknesses we all have within us. But who come together to try to defeat it but the school misfits, possibly the most deeply flawed and unlikely heroes. Will any of them survive? Will they destroy It, or will it destroy all of them, or will some stalemate put off the threat for another generation? I won't say.

I am no great fan of King, but this is one of the few I actually enjoyed, despite the excessive length.

As for the miniseries, Tim Curry is wonderfully chilling and sinister as the clown aspect of It.

3. Danvok

Danvok New Member

Makes me want to read the book more. You must've been a copywriter in a past life!

4. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Agree with Cog. I am neither a huge King fan with the exception of a few books, but this one is really good, once you get going. I finished it surprisingly quickly as well. The miniseries (I watched it as a long movie though) with Tim Curry is great, but has left me with a phobia of clowns. Stupid big brother that let me watch it when I was six...