1. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

It's about time....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Evelyanin, Jun 19, 2009.

'Ello everybody, I'm Evelyanin, and if you haven't guessed it yet, I am fairly new here. At first I didn't really think of writing an introduction, since I felt I wouldn't really need it. However, I also didn't want to be the weird person skipping around, making random comments here and there. So I reasoned that a formal introduction would be a good idea. After all, it would be unfair of me to intrude into your group of writers without saying who I was. I have been able to figure out who a lot of you people are, but I am probably still the unknown name in the comments section.
    Now might be a good time to tell a little about why I am here. The reason I joined this forum is pretty plain and boring. I am just another person who loves to write and has a story to tell, but who isn't quite sure how to tell it properly. I want to be able to learn from the abundance of tips provided, and from the example of other writers. Since I have already been doing a lot of reading and commenting on this site, I know that there are some pretty high standards for writing, making me want to learn all the more. Right now I am not planning on posting anything soon, since (as I mentioned in a previous comment) I myself know my story needs improvement, so it would be unfair to make people waste their precious time, telling me what I already know. I sincerely hope to get to know some of you a little better, and to be able to learn a lot from your experience.:)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Evelyanin, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here anyway. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Hey Eve, I'm Hedge, but Greg works fine if you prefer that. What genre is you novel intended for release? Do you have any hobbies or interests other than the obvious? -- I'm sorry for a blase introduction, as it is quite late-ish tonight but perhaps I'll see you around the Forums.

Welcome to the Writing Forums, and enjoy your path to literary enlightenment. :]

Do not touch my Nilla Wafers, and that should do it.

4. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

Hi Cogito
    I can't help but notice that you post the same comment for every new member, and add something more personal for the first few lines. :) Then again, I suppose you do get a lot of new members every day, so it would be difficult to write something new for everyone. You do list quite a few good points though.

5. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

Hello Hedge,
    Actually, my genre of novel is something that has had me stumped so far. It isn't quite fantasy, since it has absolutely nothing to do with magic or anything out of this world. Everything could in theory happen, but at the same is quite impossible because of the situation. First of all, the setting isn't placed particularly anywhere on this world, but rather seems to combine a few settings. The only mention of anything "normal" is a town, but even that has a fictional name. The people are all fairly normal, with normal motivations, even though the antagonist may be taking things a little too far. I guess it would partially fit under the adventure catagory, but yet it isn't a stereotypical adventure story. I guess I'll figure it out sooner or later :). Hmm... hobbies... besides writing, I like to sing, I do random activities like swimming and hiking, but nothing really as an all out "hobbie". I love to study history, which is why I am planning to become a historian. I really don't mind your introduction either. It is really sweet of you to welcome every newcomer here. It makes me feel a lot more welcome.
    No, I won't touch your Nilla Wafers, but I am really curious as to what they are.

6. jlauren

jlauren New Member

Welcome Eve! Don't worry I wouldn't have known if you were new or not! There are so many members for this site that it's hard to keep up with who's new and who's old.

I hope you enjoy your time here. It's heaps of fun and if you're willing to help people out, you will learn a lot. I've found doing reviews has really helped my writing style and flow because I recognize things in my own writing that I correct in other people's work! Makes you stop and think.

Hope to see you around :)

7. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

jessicalaurenking,
    Yes, I suppose there are a lot of members, though the junior member thing could easily tip you off.:)

8. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Nilla Wafers are processed, delicious vanilla cookies that come in cardboard boxes. I love them. >.< They should be in a supermarket near you. :-D

9. Sonshine

Sonshine New Member

Welcome aboard Evely! I know I've learned a lot here and I'm sure you will too. :)