It's Easier to Believe in God Than Evolution

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

Excuse me for butting in.

These days I notice an increasing tendency for self-centered internet philosophers to forget what the internet is - a ridiculously broad public forum. The type of coffee house Habermas talked about but never quite justified. Well, it's here now, and it's as public as you can get.

The one thing about being public is that whatever its content is, it can be accessed and discussed by all its participants. Your comment happens to be in a specific public space, for all to see and discuss (as public forums do). Now, if you didn't want others to question and elaborate upon your views, you could've written it in a diary or recited it under the shower. But since you've chosen to comment here, we have every right to comment on your comments. Hence, @minstrel has every right to dissect any part of anything you ever posted here. Comprende?

Here's what I understood from this: You attempt to mask the common sense claim that "intelligence can make stuff but stuff can't make intelligence" with a barrage of nonsense constructs. This is a blanket statement if I ever saw one.

It kind of gets complicated when we try to figure out the universe with a brain evolved to pick ripe fruit.

123456789 and Macaberz like this.
  2. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

That is why I'm attempting to back out of the discussion without conceding my opinion.

And I sympathize with the composite "we."

Are you saying "Not all are Bozo's on this bus?" Does that metaphor not make sense to the Mr. Ripefruit type?

3. Dean Stride

It became too late once you posted on this thread. You can't just claim something and get away with it. Haven't you learned anything from Scooby-Doo?

My final remark was aimed at you, mostly. You're not as special as you deem yourself to be.

I'm saying we all have the same mental development, more or less, as we share a common evolutionary lineage. Some may be able to make use of their capacity better than others (Einstein, Hawking) and deviate from common sense but the constraints are generally there. It's thanks to science that we can finally start to shake them off, and Not thanks to armchair logic.

4. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Actually talking cats are more impressive.

And was mirrored back to you, as is this. Aren't you as special as you deem yourself to be?

Then you admit we ARE all Bozos on this bus.

5. Dean Stride

Hahaaa, nope.

Not really. Don't have to be, don't need to be, don't want to be.

No, but it looks like your own narrow-mindedness can't put into more dimensions than one, so nothing I say will change how you take it.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ahait', chi'runs. This thread is getting a little more one on one than it needs to be. Deep breath, regroup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  7. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

I was ready to just stop posting to it. I try not to ignore people because there's always a chance they can say something worthwhile.