Tags:
  1. canadaguy

canadaguy New Member

Job offer confirmation

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by canadaguy, Aug 19, 2013.

Hi ,

I'd like to write a letter for an employee of my supervisor which confirms that he is being offered a job offer ,

Something like this :

I confirm that I am employer/supervisor/(I don't know) of Mr. John McKay at .....

I don't have any idea, I only know that the the letter should contain the name of the research center, the position(research assistant in this case) the start date of the job (December 1st 2013), the salary per month (X$ per month) ,

(The job is being offered in Canada , if that helps)
    Please help,

Bests,
    Arian

2. The Peanut Monster

The Peanut Monster New Member

So this is a letter offering a job? Sorry, I didn't understand your explanation.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is too confused/confusing to make sense... please be more specific...

and why isn't your supervisor writing the letter her/himself?... if you write it without the supervisor's knowledge/permission that would be fraudulent misrepresentation...

4. canadaguy

canadaguy New Member

There's nothing illegal , my supervisor wants me to write him a letter for his another new coming employee , I don't know why he needs such a letter but he told me to write it for him ,

There's nothing about me in the letter, he wants a letter in this format :

I confirm that I am the supervisor (employter/ or whatever) of Mr. X Y and we offered him a position as Research Assistant at Z research center at Q university. The job starts at D/D/D date and the salary is U dollars per month.

5. The Peanut Monster

Ok - but the letter is not intended for the person who you offered the job too? I'm not sure why such a letter would be necessary, but if your manager has asked you to prepare it, fair enough. Your draft seems ok (if a little informal, in my view).

If he has accepted the position, I would just state that "Mr X Y has accepted a position as a Research Assistant ..." rather than the offer.

Letterhead should be enough for confirmation that the author is the supervisor of the new employee. But if he wants it explicitly stated, again your draft seems ok.

6. canadaguy

canadaguy New Member

Would you please write a full one , because I am not very good at official writing , that'd be great if you could help me with it ,

Bests

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

So is this a letter offering the new person the job, or is this a letter confirming that you have indeed offered him the job, or is this rather a letter that's saying thank you for accepting your job offer?

Pick one, so we're clear on what this letter is for, and then we can give you better advise.

But the truth is, if you just googled letter templates, I'm sure it'll pop up. Sounds like it's a bog standard kinda job.

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Note that I've never written something like this before, and since I work freelance, I think I've seen this sort of letter only once or twice in my life. But here's how I might write it:

Dear X,

I am writing as Mr Y, supervisor of XY at the XYZ research centre. Thank you for your interest to work with us. I am pleased to offer you the position of research assistant for a salary of XX amount.

(or change "I am pleased to offer you the position" to "I am writing to confirm your acceptance of the position of research assistant" etc)

Then you would carry on with more details, perhaps when they're expected to start, and finish with something like, "I look forward to working with you. Regards, Mr Y."

Please do note I advise this with no experience - so do your own research and don't just copy and paste :)

9. The Peanut Monster

This is a good draft. All I'd change is the first sentence. If you are drafting the letter on behalf of your boss for him to sign, then you can omit the "I am writing as Mr Y". Simply start with thank you for your interest, etc..

If this is a letter for someone else, to confirm that the job was offered, then you could write as follows:

To whom it may concern,

This letter confirms that Mr X has been offered a position as a Research Assistant under my supervision at ABC university. The terms of the offer are a salary of $Y and a start date of ../../.. . Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require more information on this appointment.

Yours Faithfully,
    [name, with title]

Mckk likes this.
  10. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

This seems odd. The only reason I could imagine someone, presumably a prospective new employee wanting a letter sent to someone else to advise that he'd been offered said job is if he wanted to use it as a bargaining chip in getting his salary raised at another job.

And I really can't imagine why your supervisor would want you to write the letter for him.

Cheers, greg.

11. The Peanut Monster

Yeah it is odd.

Though drafting letters for others is pretty normal I would say. Back in my early legal days I used to do it all the time for senior staff who have better things to do with their time. I would write the draft, they sign it. It's what juniors do.

12. mammamaia

as one who has written many a business letter and countless 'to whom it may concern' ones, i find this example to be the best recommendation...

however, there should be a colon after 'concern' not a comma... and it should start with 'mr x'... nothing before that is needed and is not usually included, as it is a statement, not an actual 'letter'... also, it should stop at 'information'... the rest is worded as well as it should be...

13. The Peanut Monster

Actually, I did pause on the comma. NZ, Aus, as far as I'm aware the UK and other Commonwealth countries wouldn't use a colon, I'm not sure about the usage in Canada. I know in the US the colon is standard.

And also canadaguy, if you do use a name rather than "To whom it may concern/Dear Sir or Madam" then ensure you change "Yours Faithfully" to "Yours Sincerely".

14. mammamaia

a 'to whom it may concern' statement/affidavit is not really a 'letter'... so a closing such as those wouldn't be used... no closing is the norm... simply the person's name and title and professional affiliation would go below the statement...

15. canadaguy

canadaguy New Member

Thanks a lot guys , it was very helpful !

Special thanks to The Peanut Monster :)

16. The Peanut Monster

I would still close a to whom it may concern letter; I hadn't heard the notion that they weren't "letters" before. Recommendation letters for example, are often "to whom it may concern", and my experience in seeing many of those (in the US and in other countries) is that they close with yours faithfully.

Affidavits, on the other hand, are an entirely different sort of document - definitely not a letter, that usually requires a specific form, formatting, specific elements that ensure that it is appropriately witnessed, attested to, etc.

And no worries, canadaguy, good luck with it.