Just had my worst ever review

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by rincewind31, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Yeah, I'm just putting it out there for everyone. I like soapboxing. ;)

2. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

The term "soapboxing" immediately makes me think of that scene in Full Metal Jacket ... *shudder* :meh:

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I agree, and with hindsight, after I'd thought about it, you're right. Interfering would have been a mistake. Especially in this case.

I was initially thinking this was another 'review' written by somebody who ONLY writes one-star reviews. This can be terribly harmful to a new author if that's the only review they have received yet. I've seen a couple of those, where the troll has taken on about 10 new authors, and given each of them a one-liner, one-star nasty reviews. In that case I'd have no hesitation (with the author's permission, of course) in pointing out the fact that this troll does nothing else.

Actually, I think Amazon does a great job controlling this issue. They allow reviews to be written by anybody, but there are also systems in place to double-check the tone the reviewer uses in other reviews. And of course they provide a good sample of the book to read before buying. I don't think they can do much else, other than stop reviews altogether.

I also know another traditionally-published author (Scottish) who has a personal troll, who writes a 1-star nasty review of every single book the author has written! Genuine? I don't think so. Why would you buy and read 5 or 6 books by an author you can't stand? And these were not 'verified purchases' by the troll either. So where is he getting these books?

Amazon does do the 'verified purchase' thing, so any person who is reading reviews seriously can take this into account. Of course it's perfectly possible to buy a book/CD/DVD elsewhere and write a review on Amazon (I've done this myself) so it's not an absolute. Some books are free or nearly free, so it doesn't necessarily indicate a huge investment—but it is an indication that the person actually bought the book. Which might help with troll-spotting to some extent.

At any rate, I hope people read all reviews, or a good sampling of them ...and a sample of the book itself ...before judging it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. jannert

Totally agree. My favourite response in comments sections, is "this is not a review; it's a vote." This can happen for 5-star positive reviews as well. Just saying 'This is the best/worst book I've ever read" is not a review, unless you explain why you think so.

We don't know "you," do we? So why does your opinion matter, unless you give us some reasons for taking it on board?

5. jannert

There's a difference between a negative review (explaining the reasons why the reaction is negative, so potential readers can make up their minds whether or not to buy the book) and a simple attack by an online troll, or a person who wants to trash the author's reputation but can't be bothered making any real points.

I know several authors who have discussed this issue with me. In ALL cases they don't mind a genuine negative review, but they all hate trolls. I think that's my way of thinking as well. The good thing is, I suppose, most readers are smart enough (I hope) to distinguish between a genuine review and a vote from a troll.

Ussaid likes this.
  6. jannert

There is a big difference between :
    and
    The first is a review which is helpful to somebody who wants a quiet blender that makes snow cones. The second is not helpful at all.

I have no problem with 'vote' reviews. What I do have a problem with is having them linked to the star system. In fact, if I could get rid of anything on Amazon pertaining to this issue, it would be to eliminate the star rating system. Just present the reviews. That way people would need to read and evaluate what is being said, not just pre-judge based on the number of stars a product gets or doesn't get. And the trolls would have to do a lot more work if they want to bring somebody down.

Ussaid likes this.
  7. rincewind31

rincewind31 Active Member

I hardened myself to bad reviews by continually walking the streets wearing flared, half mast, green curduroys and socks and sandals, just so children would laugh and shout abuse at me as i walked by. After that a one star amazon review is a stroll in the park.

plothog and jannert like this.
  8. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

to me if I read a book and like it I may look at who hated it and see what else they hated as I may find another author I will like . So a review who just posts "it sucks" can be spot on as they have the opposite taste to me.

9. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

Having worked in the online games industry for many years, I'm sure I'll be able to cope with negative book reviews.
    Hell hath no fury like an online gamer who's favourite overpowered strategy has just been weakened.

10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

But you're calling this reviewer a troll, and I wouldn't.

This reviewer sounds like someone who doesn't like the book. He's not posting inflamatory things just to get a reaction, he's not making up lies about the author, he's not following the author from site to site trying to start a war. He just didn't like the book. He doesn't need to give his reasons for not liking the book, but honestly, in this case, he did. No plot, etc. How is that a troll?

If I've just bought a blender and it doesn't blend, it's okay for me to just say "this blender sucks", because people will understand, surely, that it sucks because it doesn't do its job. Sure, it would be more helpful to other blender-buyers if I took the time to give more details, but I'm not morally required to do so. The rating system exists, I have used it as it is designed to be used, I'm done.

If I've just bought a book and it doesn't entertain me, it's okay for me to just say "this book sucks", because people will understand, surely, that I'm just one person with just one opinion. Sure, it would be more helpful to other book book-buyers if I took the time to give more details... etc.

11. jannert

No, actually I'm not calling that reviewer a troll. At least not since I've investigated the situation, after I was able to look up the review itself. I initially thought he MIGHT be a troll, based on what the OP said in the first post. However, I checked and discovered he wasn't one of those who just gives 1-star reviews and nothing else.

My post to TWErvin2 said:
    As for your other point, I stand by my assertion. "That blender sucks" is not a review. It's a vote. If the person wants to vote, that's fine. But it's just a vote, and in many cases trolls do exactly this kind of thing. How do I define a troll in this situation? Somebody who maliciously trashes other people's efforts, without making any attempt to justify what they're saying. And you can discover this leaning by simply reading their other posts. If they do this to everybody, sorry...they are trolls. What else is a troll? Unless it's a critter hanging out under a bridge waiting to grab goats? How would YOU define 'troll?'

BayView likes this.
  12. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Oh, okay, so... this review is fine, trolls are bad? We agree!

jannert likes this.
  13. jannert

Yes. Totally. Grrr... trolls bad! :supermad:

ArnaudB likes this.
  14. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

Can any one best this troll http://archive.is/rFgtE

15. rincewind31

rincewind31 Active Member

Blimey that escalated rapidly. And his review was nowhere near as bas as mine :D

16. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Except I always read the negative (1 or lowest star) reviews first. I find they tend to be less effusive, and more succinct / to the point. They also more often recommend similar books as alternatives. Thinking more non-fiction or instructional books here. When reading the review, I weigh the content and the delivery of the review as a priority.

Maybe they could change the star system to a simple trinary "recommended read", "recommended avoid", "neutral"?

jannert likes this.
  17. jannert

That's okay, as long as you also read the other reviews as well. But my worry is that because they tend to be succinct, folks might read these short negative reviews only and decide there is so much wrong with the book that they won't give it a chance.

However, I don't see any way to get around that. Myself, I pay very little attention to reviews of things like books, CDs or films. Because I know this can happen and that the reviewer is likely to be subjective, because music, books and films are rated in the eye of the beholder.

I DO pay attention to reviews of other products though, such as gadgets or machines, etc. However, I do NOT pay attention to any that don't give coherent reasons for the position they're taking. Bought it, it didn't work, I sent it back. Not really a review ...kind of a diary entry. I want to know things like ...did you plug it in, turn it on, and nothing happened? Or did you plug it in, turn it on, and the result it gave was substandard? Or did you plug it in, turn it on, it worked for a couple of days and then stopped?

These bits of information are what makes a review helpful. At least for me.

Aaron DC likes this.
  18. Aaron DC

Oh heck yes. The number of times, as a programmer, I have had to deal with....

"Hey um my software isn't working".

Oh gee thanks, that's so informative and useful. I'll be able to fix it from here no worries. *mutter* *grumble*

"Can you give me a bit more detail about what isn't working, exactly?"

jannert likes this.
  19. Aaron DC

Yes definitely.

It's difficult to describe, being an intuitive process. But I start at the bottom and work my way to the top, check other reviews that a knowledgeable-sounding reviewer left elsewhere, check the reviews of the book(s) they suggest as alternatives, and in the end make my own mind up based on other reviews in other venues and the synopsis, as well, etc. It sounds exhaust(ing/ive) but it's really quite quick with a few tabs open, Ctrl+click and having a good idea of what you want to purchase beforehand.

The Amazon reviews are only a piece of a 1000 piece jigsaw, so the influence is relatively minor, if that makes sense.

jannert likes this.
  20. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

Well that's an example of exactly how not to respond to a one star review.

Authors attacking people who give one star reviews doesn't seem to go down well among regular reviewers, and in just two days both his books have been flooded with people giving him 1 star.

He may have to write under a pseudonym from now on.

21. Aaron DC

IMO: that book should be stickied here as a How-Not-To example of responding to reviews.

22. Aaron DC

"My life's work" vs "It was only 100 pages".

:meh:

23. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Until someone gives that book a one-starred review and he lets 'er rip again.

Here's the deal fellow authors including moi. Not everyone will like our books. Some will trash it and call it the worst pile of shit they ever saw grace the bookshelves. The door swings both ways; if we get to trash talk other people's books, they get to trash talk ours. What we should do is not start a verbal flame war with them no matter how badly hurt we might be. All it'll do is hurt our sales and our career (or future career.)

24. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Getting a negative review is better than getting nothing. Trust me. At least you know people paid attention to your stuff in some degree.

25. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Wow! Just saw that Goodreads flame war about a one star review and all I can say is WOW!!!

Again I reiterate my advice for authors on receiving a one star review - take hands, place on seat and sit on them.

Unless of course your objective is actually to amuse me - in which case please respond to the review, start a war, and send me the link so I can have a good laugh!!!

Cheers, Greg.