1. Flamenco1

Flamenco1 Member

Just starting out

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Flamenco1, Sep 4, 2020.

I have a question about multi-timeline plots.

I want to write a crime/mystery novel based in an English market/tourist town in the mid-eighties.

Having read many crime/mystery novels it seems the modern trend is for multiple timelines, and even for one to know the bad guy(s) and their motivation from chapter one. I prefer a beginning, middle and end, as in the old ‘whodunits’. I still read Maigret and Sherlock Holmes.

I figured that the single timeline might be less of a distraction and allow me to focus on getting some quality text on paper.

But equally I might end up with a one-dimensional story that disappoints.

I assume I’m talking plot design/structure here, but as a newbie I may have got that wrong.

But any thoughts/help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Honestly? I'd say go write the book and see how it shapes up. As you say a 'single-timeline' might be more focused, or more shallow. You won't know until you've put pen to paper and actually wrote the story.

I'm not much of a crime/mystery reader but I had a Sherlock Holmes phase when I was younger. The idea that 'whodunits' are out of fashion makes me kinda sad. There's nothing, IMO, structurally wrong with one of those, so I see no reason why you can't write it that way.

Flamenco1 likes this.