1. inkyliddlefingers

inkyliddlefingers New Member

Just wondering...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by inkyliddlefingers, May 13, 2013.

Are we really allowed to dicuss anything here? FOr instance politics is mentioned but not religion. I only ask because on another forum I belong to everything even slightly delicate, or potentially incendiary, is banned. including politics and religion.

2. jeepea

jeepea Member

I don't think anything is banned from conversation on this part of the forum. Look under the Free Speech subsection of the forum rules.

3. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I think anything is permissible, but when it goes down the tube and devolves into a flame fest (and it will) the mods will shut things down (and sometimes distribute infractions too).

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Threads discussing topics like politics or religion usually end up getting locked or deleted because people can't keep it civil and respectable, but according to the rules, such topics are allowed.

I was actually hoping for a separate philosophy/religion/politics subforum where such things could be discussed.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't mind people talking about such things at all, but they will be watched carefully by us mods as they are always like piles of low-grade tinder.

6. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

Do we get sweet badges on our profiles when we earn infractions?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If your thread is inflammatory, you may be held responsible when matters get out of control.

There are general site content rules.

No. Get enough of them and you get banned, perhaps permanently.

8. squishytheduck

squishytheduck New Member

It would not be remiss to tatoo one teardrop on your avatar's left cheek for each infraction.

1 person likes this.
  9. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

Now this is what I had in mind, not that I'm planning on earning myself any infractions (although you never know when you're going to have to unsheathe your blade and defend your family's honor).

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yeah, well, watch out for anything and everything that by some absurd stretch of logic can be considered "promoting or advertising", like discussing the writing software you use or a literature contest outside the forum. What constitutes advertising or promoting is arbitrarily determined and selectively used against people. Even the mods admit the rules are vague and unclear.

I'd add the who and why in that used-against-you accusation because it's not a widespread phenomena, but it's against general forum etiquette on the Net to personally attack people. I'm not even sure if going this far is going to be considered inflammatory, but I think the issue of selective enforcement is something that needs to be said.

11. inkyliddlefingers

inkyliddlefingers New Member

Thanks guys. That has answered my question. What has been disclosed is exactly as I had hope: reasonble and fair. I've never been sanctioned on any forums I inhabit, but I do know of some disaffected ones from the site I was thinking of in my original post. They have become so strict recently, that people tend to be banned without warning and the first time they get to know is when they try to log on one day.

So I wanted to tread carefully here. I enjoy this site very much. Even when I am hospitalised and cannot post myself, I am still reading lots of threads and picking up tips.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Most who are banned don't get another chance.