kids having kids

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by coral reef, Apr 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

i am not saying that people can't have a good acreer and children from a young age, but it makes it a hell of a lot harder to do. it is much easier to focus on your sutdies with out complication, rather than juggling being a mother and studies. and yes, women do do it, and hats of to them. buy personally, i couldn't, and wouldn't want to do it.
    and please, i don't see why you are insulted, i have said absolutly nothing to insult you or anyone else. and i am not judging anyone what so ever. i have great admiration for the mothers who manage to care for their children and have a career.

but myself, i am going to focus on my career, as i think it is the best thing i can do at the moment, and probably for a lot of years.
    Heather

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

QUOTE FROM ALICE IN WONDERLAND
    "If you want to test the warning, go ahead it's your own damned fault. Enjoy life with your kid while all your friends are still living out their teenagerhood. Looks like you missed out all because you thought it would be cool to have unprotected sex..."

yup I did get pregnant. through unprotected sex, and I did know all the consequences. So far I have no missed out on anything. I have a lot of support in my life. I was never in to partying so I never missed that. It was tough on me thats for sure. It is not easy having a kid at any age. But it makes me who I am and I wouldnt change that.
    The last line you wrote I am not even gonna dignify with a response because you are so far of and it was just way uncalled for.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Oh heather my apologies I was not saying that I agree with your comments being insulting, I meant to edit that part out. We all have our opinions, I simply agreed with the rest of what he said is all.
    My apologies to you.

~Torana

4. Heather Louise

thats not a problem, i just wanted to make sure that everyone knew i wasn't trying to be insulting or anything.
    Heather

5. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Why does it make things harder because they have a child. Sorry but thats Bull we all have it hard from time to time.

What you said earlier was insulting and if you appologise thats good but if your saying you didn't mean it why the hell did you say it in the first place.

6. Heather Louise

i meant what i said, but perhaps i didn't word it brilliantly. but i will not apologise again as i find no reason for you to be insulted by what i said. it is simply my opinion, no need to be insulted.

and yes, having a child and going to school/collage/work is a lot harder than without a child. of corse everyone has it hard from time to time, but trying to do both is makin this even harder in a lot of cases. obviosly there will be exceptions to this, but in general, if you have a child young, as in before you have finished school/collage/university, then it is hard/er for you tocontinue and get the results that you would have done before you had a child.

i will remind everyone that what i have said is purely opinion, and there is absolutly no reason to feel insulted.
    Heather

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    If you have an end of year exam you must do well on to pass a class you spent 1000 dollars on, and your child gets a cold which keeps him up crying all night, before the exam, it's hard. A lot harder then the childless person in the same class who can just put ear plugs in to ignore the party upstairs, and get a good nights rest.

It's harder if you have to go deeper into debt to pay for a baby sitter, or daycare to look after your child while you go to class.

It's hard being a kid still in high school having to worry about your child being sick at home.

Now all of this can be dealt with. Many women do so. And most mothers of any age deal with the same issues. But for girls, not even 18, who never really thought of the consequences, or didn't care, having children is just a really, really bad idea. Even the ones who have thought it over, should be very certain they're really up to the challenge.

8. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I totally agree with you Domoviye, children can make studying more difficult compared to people without that level of responsibility but it doesn't make it impossible - especially with the right level of support, though it can be managed without. Albeit difficult.

I'm glad you made the point that its the people who didn't think of the consequences or didn't care that shouldn't have children - unfortunately its more likely to be these people that end up pregnant.

I know people (I know i'm young but I do know older people) who are older when starting there family, have a steady job, a stable relationship and lots of support that still struggle when it comes down to it because its different reading about it or watching somebody else do it to actually doing it yourself. Yeah you can even babysit but you only get a few hours taste of what the child is like... they may be cute at the time but they're not always like that!

I disagree with the people who've said young people are never able to bring up a child, because there are people who can, I disagree with those who say you can't continue with their education because they can, and finally I disagree with those that say all young people are irresponsible, because we aren't.

I don't mean for this to sound at all like a rant, but reading back this may sound like it to some of you so please don't take it that way. The views expressed are simply my own.

9. Raven

Raven Banned

The trouble is that both sides of the debate have good pointers.
    But I don't think having a kid young hinders a person. When you think many waste their youths and they haven't had kids yet. So in reality life can be difficult and yes having a kid whatever age can be hard work. But hey lifes hard work.

What I disagree with is condeming the young for having kids.

~Raven.

10. .PeanutButter

.PeanutButter New Member

I believe that if you have children at a....younger age, then you'll have more life with your children. It's a vague argument, but in my opinion, reasonable. I don't think it's stupidity if you have a child at eighteen instead of twenty-four.

It really depends on the type of person giving birth. If it's a young woman who is irresponsible and will dump the child of her parents the minute she has it, then, maybe having the child at sixteen or whatever wasn't such a good idea.

Now, a person who is responsible and thinks that they're ready for the early years of parenthood, might be different. If you have parental support, that takes a lot of stress off your shoulders. Having a supportive husband or boyfriend as the case may be, also should help.

I'm no expert. This is just my opinion.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

but not very practical, as where is the time going to come from on a daily basis, in which to have that 'more life' with your child, while a young mom is going to school and/or holding down one or more jobs, to feed and house that child?

an older mom would be more likely to be able to provide a decent life for the child, without having to leave it at day care centers or with its grandmom, so others would be the ones enjoying all that 'more time'...