1. SpecialAgentDias

SpecialAgentDias New Member

Killing off one of the main character and bring him back to life again?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by SpecialAgentDias, Jul 4, 2014.

So the whole story is told in Dara's point of view, Dara and John are both federal agents and dating. Dara and John love each other. Their is a Mafia boss. Seth. Who has killed many people they love in revenge but is in love with Dara. But Dara is some what in love with him. Basically John ends up dying, Dara falls for Seth even more, The reason why Dara falls for Seth is because he understands what happened in her past which her father abused and his dad to. So the connect on that. Later on she get pregnant from Seth but later on has a miscarriage. But when she later finds out John has been alive this whole time to protect her and her whole team was part of John's fake death plan. Does it kill the story?

2. Earthshine

Earthshine Member

No, so long as the whole thing is well set up. I'll admit that sometimes these kind of plots can seem kind of annoying, kind of like the author is cheating. But if bringing John 'back to life' is your plan from the very beginning, and you foreground this well and perhaps provide a few subtle clues hinting towards this, then I see no reason why it won't work.

3. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh New Member

Firstly, is English your second language?

If so, I would advise writing in your first language. A plot like this is difficult to pull off without it feeling hokey and contrived. It can work [BBC's Sherlock - The Reichenbach Fall/The Empty Hearse is one modern example] but it only works if your grasp of the delicate nuances of the English language is solid. There are a lot of native speakers who don't have a strong enough understanding to do this. I'm not confident enough in my own abilities to think I could pull it off, so I don't. My characters stay dead once I've killed them. If I'm going to have a character fake his own death [I say his because it's unusual to hear of a woman doing that] then I make sure the reader knows the death is faked, even if the other characters don't. If I'm using multiple points of view throughout the story, I'll write the death-faking scene from the "dead" character's point of view.

I don't like writing in first person if I know I have something like that planned, because multiple first-person points of view is a pain and hard for the poor reader to follow.