Tags:
  1. Dreamfarer

Dreamfarer New Member

Kresniks

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Dreamfarer, Nov 4, 2019.

So, I'm not sure if this is fine but basically I once found out about a type of mythical creature that is essentially the opposite of vampires. However, there is little to no information on these creatures. All there was was a small paragraph on Wikipedia and the exact same on Superpower wiki. So I decided to take what was there and expand on it and try to make something out of them. I don't know if this is fine, but I decided to bring what I wrote here to see what you all think. Looking for constructive criticism.

Kresniks are powerful beings considered to be stronger than even the eldest of vampires. Kresniks fight to balance out the destructive nature of vampires and understand they aren't necessarily evil. Therefore, destruction and balance must be maintained. That is the job and purpose of a kresnik.

Kresniks are truly apathetic and possess no emotions. This allows them to ignore emotional distractions. They cannot suffer from psychological or emotional stress and feelings don't affect their thinking process. Kresniks believe emotions get in the way of their goals.

Kresniks are nearly indistinguishable from humans and often pose as them to blend in. Despite their apathy, they even mimic the emotions and mannerisms of humans when around. Otherwise, Kresniks normally speak in third person.

Like vampires, Kresniks have near immortality. They don't age, and can essentially live forever. However, they can die via decapitation.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Dreamfarer - Just a note here from one of the forum moderators. Mod hat on.

If you posted this because you'd like feedback on the nature of Kresniks or any information about them that somebody else might have, that's fine. However, you are not allowed to post your actual writing for critique anywhere but in our Workshop. And to do that, you need to:

1) Be a member here for 2 full weeks
    2) Make at least 20 posts around the forum
    3) Do at least 2 critiques of other people's work in our Workshop areas

Please take a look at these two links, as you're feeling your way into the forum. They should make our objectives clear, when it comes to posting your work.

New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules

However, because the subject is interesting and does impact on setting, I'm leaving your post open for comments. But members, please: comments on the nature and existence of Kresniks and ways to portray them only. Do not give a critique of the actual writing here.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have somebody new on board, with what sounds like a great story idea. :) Just take your time, get to know us, participate on threads that draw your interest, and the two-week-20-post restriction will fly by.

By the way, critiques given to other members will also count towards your 20 posts. So why not kill two birds with one stone and do a few critiques? Build up a backlog, as the Workshop ratio is 2 critiques/1 original piece of work as long as you are a member here. That's not a Workshop requirement just for new members.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    NoGoodNobu likes this.
  3. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Have you considered looking into Slavic folklore? That's where it originated. And perhaps you could find some equivalents to these creatures in other cultures.

4. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

B51D0E3B-78B2-4746-ABC2-C2E4D982B3DA.jpeg

This is from Vampires of the Slavs by Jan L. Perkowski, a collection of essays and stories about Slavic vampires. The excerpt is particularly from the translated work of Jan Machal called “Slavic Mythology.”

I don’t have The Darkling: a Treatise on Slavic Vampirism, which I think has more information on the krsnik but I may be mistaken.

Perhaps of interest are the other works named in Vampires of the Slavs’ introduction:

1E5BCB97-978B-418C-8570-1F45D7126A01.jpeg