La Cuisine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Neha, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Manic-Rotis can be made on frying pans too...and in not more than 10 mins. I'll tell you how if you're interested.

Okay here's the recipe for Chicken pakoras(Indian non-veg fritters)--they're yum with veg too and can be served with tea, curd, ketchup, or chutney:

500 gm Boneless Chicken Pieces
    2 tbsp Oil
    1 tsp Ground Cumin
    1 1/2 tsp Salt
    1-2 each Chopped Green Chillies (Jalapeno)
    1 Chopped Onion
    1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
    2 tsp Vinegar
    1 cup Curd
    1 tsp Lemon juice

Preparation:
    Put everything but chicken and batter in blender and blend till fine. Marinate the chicken pcs with the resulting mixture. Keep in the fridge for 40 minutes. Put chicken in batter. Deep fry it until its colour changes to golden brown Condiments.

2. lessa

lessa New Member

neha what is curd?
    is that what would make the batter?

3. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

My favourite by far is...Baked Alaska.
    This is a cake on the bottom, with some vanilla icecream on top of that, then some strawberries / mandarin segments / raspberries on top of the icecream, and the whole lot smothered in meringue. Then you whack it in the oven for 2 mins to bake the meringue, and its magic because the icecream doesnt melt!

Deeeeelicious.

xxx

4. Neha

Lessa-it's plain yoghurt...ad yup! vegetable fritters are prepared diffrently though...do you get bengal gram flour there? And Chicken pakoras can be served as snacks too.

Raichelle-kool! I'm gonna get my Mum to try that out as soon as I get back to Naini!

5. Edge

Edge New Member

WOW, just like my wife, I'm just glad I can cook or we would starve. Anyway one of my favorite recipes.

Coconut Cake with 7-Minute Frosting
    Prep Time:
    1 hr 0 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    hr min
    Cook Time:
    40 min
    Level:
    Intermediate
    Serves:
    1 cake

Ingredients
    1 coconut, see Cook's Note
    For the cake:
    Vegetable oil, for cake pan
    14 1/4 ounces cake flour, plus extra for pans, approximately 3 cups
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 cup fresh coconut milk
    1/2 cup fresh coconut cream
    8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
    16 ounces sugar, approximately 2 1/4 cups
    1 teaspoon coconut extract
    4 egg whites
    1/3 cup coconut water
    For the 7-Minute Frosting:
    3 large egg whites
    12 ounces sugar, approximately 1 3/4 cups
    1/3 cup coconut water
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon coconut extract
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Grated coconut from 1 coconut, approximately 8 to 10 ounces
    Directions
    Cook's Note: To open a coconut: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the coconut onto a folded towel set down in a large bowl. Find the 3 eyes on 1 end of the coconut and using a nail or screwdriver and hammer or meat mallet, hammer holes into 2 of the eyes. Turn the coconut upside down over a container and drain the water from the coconut. Store the water in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Place the coconut onto a 1/2 sheet pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. The coconut should have cracked in several places. Using an oyster knife or other dull blade, separate the hard shell from the brown husk. Using a serrated vegetable peeler, peel the brown husk from the coconut meat. Rinse the coconut meat under cool water and pat dry. Break the meat into 2 to 3-inch pieces. With the grater disk attached to a food processor, grate the coconut.
    For the cake:
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil 2 (9-inch) cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper. Oil the parchment paper and then flour the pan. Set aside.
    Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
    Combine the coconut milk and coconut cream in small bowl and set aside.
    Place the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and using the paddle attachment, cream on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Decrease the speed to low and gradually add the sugar slowly over 1 to 2 minutes. Once all of the sugar has been added, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Turn the mixer back on to medium speed and continue creaming until the mixture noticeably lightens in texture and increases slightly in volume, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the coconut extract.
    With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture to the butter and sugar in 3 batches, ending with the milk mixture. Do not over mix.
    In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter, just until combined. Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bang the pans on the counter top several times to remove any air and to distribute the batter evenly in the pan. Place in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is light golden in color and reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.
    Cool the cake in the pans for 10 minutes then remove and transfer to a cooling rack. Once the cakes have cooled completely cut across the equator of each to form 4 layers. Place the 1/3 cup coconut water into a small spritz bottle and spray evenly onto the cut side of the 4 layers. If you do not have a spritz bottle you may brush the coconut water on with a silicone pastry brush. Allow to sit while preparing the frosting.
    Frosting:
    Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium to maintain a steady simmer. In the meantime, place the egg whites, sugar, coconut water, cream of tartar and salt into a medium size-mixing bowl. Place the bowl over the simmering water and immediately begin beating with an electric hand mixer set to low speed. Beat for 1 minute and then increase the speed to high and continue to beat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and beat in the coconut and vanilla extracts for 1 minute. Allow the frosting to sit for 5 minutes before using.
    Place approximately 3/4 cup of the frosting on the first layer of cake, sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut and top with the next layer. Repeat until you reach the top layer. Frost the top and sides of the cake and sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

6. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Tellmetellmetellme.

7. Neha

Okay, in the recipe, anywhere tawa is mentioned, you use the frying pan...fine? and make sure the pan is dry, with no water at all! None. The dough you should prepare 2 hours before making the rotis. And leave the pan on the stove for three minutes to get the base heated up. So here we go:

Making the dough
    Put flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in a stream of water in the center. Use one hand to mix the flour and water in a rotating motion from the center of the bowl outward, until the dough is moist enough to be gathered into a rough mass. Wet hands and continue until the mixture cleans the sides of the bowl and has become a nonsticky, kneadable dough. When the dough is kneaded, it will be elastic and silky smooth. To test the dough, press it lightly with a fingertip. If it springs back, it is ready to be rested. Resting the dough is the last step and allows the dough to relax and absorb the water and kneading. Rest for 1/2 hour in warm climates and 1.5 hours in cold climates. Cover with a wet towel so the dough does not dry out. The rested dough is light and springy, less resistant to being rolled out into the thin rounds.
    Dough can last in the refrigerator for about 5 days. It also makes rolling out easier than the freshly made dough.
    Also note that you don't use TOO much water all at once, it'll spoil the dough. We want the dough to be firm and tight, not wet and sticky.

Ingredients to make about 6:
    2.5 cups chappati flour with 1 cup water at room temperature made into a dough
    1 cup chappati flour in a large plate for dusting the dough while rolling it out
    ghee for brushing the bread, or you ca use butter--but not to be mixed in the dough, only for prepared chapatis.

Method to roll out the dough:
    Knead the dough well. Divide the dough into peach-size balls. On a lightly floured surface, flatten one ball of dough with your hand. Using a rolling-pin(make sure the rolling pin is well floured so that the dough does not stick to it), roll out the dough into a thin,round patty, about 5 inches in diameter. Roll from the center, turning patty several times to prevent sticking. Try to make the edges slightly thinner than the center. As you cook the chappati/roti, one could be rolling out the next, rather than shaping all of the chapatis at one time.

Method of cooking the chappati or roti:
    Preheat a cast-iron tawa over medium heat. Place the rolled dough on the palm of one hand and flip it over on to the tawa. When the color changes on the top and bubbles appear, turn it over. When both sides are done, use kitchen tongs (chimta) to remove the chapati from the skillet.
    Gas Stove: If you have a gas stove, hold the cooked chapati over a medium flame and it will puff up immediately. Turn quickly to flame-bake the other side. Do this several times, taking care that the edges are well cooked.
    Electric Stove: If you have an electric stove, chapatis can be encouraged to puff by pressing them with a clean kitchen towel after the first turn on each side. Repeat the shaping and cooking process until all chapatis are cooked.
    To keep the chapatis warm as they are cooked, place them in a towel-lined bowl and fold over the sides of the towel. Serve hot, either completely dry or topped with a small amount of ghee or butter.

Okay, that was it. But one thing--if instead of the frying pan you can get a tawa, maybe in the market, it'll be better. But the frying pan has a flat base, so it can do.
    It sounds like a lot of work, but actually it's not much labour. Enjoy!

8. Neha

sorry for the double post---but if anyone wants to know recipes for different types of chutneys, I'll be glad to share, they're types of liquid things that can be used to supplement your diet like pickles can--only they're made at home and don't require much work. Can be had with pretty much almost everything except some sweet stuff. Let me know, I should've posted it myself but I'm too lazy..lol

9. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

*Looks up chappati flour, gets sad when he realizes he can't get it*

10. Neha

aww...no wheat flour?? *runs off to parcel some to Manic*

lol, We have two farms so there's never much shortage of wheat...or rice...or pretty much anything.

11. lessa

lessa New Member

most of the bread we have here is risen with yeast.
    very few ethnic delicasies are available.
    so these recipes you are posting are intriguing to me.
    I am saving them and will try them all at some point soon.
    thanks for the adventures.

12. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Oh, wait, it's similar to cake flour - am I right?

I glanced at wikipedia and it had some schtick about atta flour, but on closer examination it just seems to be made out of wheat. I know very little about this sort of stuff - flour is something that happened to other people.

13. Neha

lol, yeah, a lil diff, but I bet you get wheat flour in Japan. Atta, is the hindi world for Wheat flour. Atte ki roti, chappatis made from wheat flour are called.(the t is pronounced like the t in little and a is like the a where we open our mouth in a o, and e is like a pronounced like when we say the alphabet)