La Taberna Española

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, May 7, 2008.

1. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Bastante bien :) Pero, no he hablado en espanol para muchas semanas y como resultado lo encuentro dificil al momento. Voy a tener un nuevo hogar en 11 dias :D

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Me aparece que lo esta hablando muy bien! Que bueno, un nuevo hogar! Por que la mudanza?

3. maddiemae

maddiemae Member

Pasa me el pan, por favor. Y la mantequilla. :cool:

4. Wreybies

No hay pan como el pan de Puerto Rico! Se lo paso desde aquí? :D

5. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Estoy un miembro nuevo aqui y acaba de encontrar La Taberna Espanola. Aprendi mi espanol en La Republica Dominicana. Vivi alla por dos anos en 1991 a 1993 y me case con una Dominicana y asi he estado usando espanol desde entonces. He ensenado a mis ninos el espanol tambien.

6. Wreybies

Tremendo! Me alegro ver alguien a quien le importó aprender una idioma ajena, y que también le da valor al idea de impartir tal idioma a sus hijos. Bienvenido. :D

7. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Gracias.

Si para mi es muy importante mantener mi espanol y pasarlo a mis ninos. Ellos resistan mas ahora que antes y tengo que esforzarme mas por hablarles en espanol para que no olvidan lo que ya saben. Queria que tuvieran espanol e ingles como primeras idiomas pero viviendo donde la mayoria hablan ingles lo hace dificil.

8. Wreybies

Si, es difícil. Especialmente cuando los niños lleguen a una cierta edad y no quieren ser diferente a sus amistades. ¿Que se va ser? :rolleyes: Mi hermano solo tiene tres años menos que yo y no te puede hablar ni una palabra de español. El siempre me dijo que no le importaba, pero cuando vino a visitar se dio cuenta que no pudo hablar con su familia aquí en Puerto Rico. Así que tengo que felicitarle a usted por tomar las ganas de aprender, especialmente después de ser adulto, mi idioma nativa. :cool:

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

(I think I actually managed to follow most of this, but I'm not going to try to respond en espanol). I know a number of first generation families who insist on the native language within the home, to offset the tendency to stick with only the "language of the land", and it does seem to help. Unless the kids take the tack of spending almost no time at home to avoid it :/

Plus they'll slip into whichever language is easier when they are out of the parents' earshot, so only the full together time will be in the "old country" tongue.

10. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Si, para Willem ere cuando estaba en el tercer o cuarto grado en la escuala que no queria hablar lo tanto. Lo que encuentro interesante es que cuando comenzo el sexto grado comenzo a hablar el espanol mas con sus amigos durante la escuela porque piensa que sus maestros no pueden entenderles.

That is the main way I was able to ensure that my children speak Spanish was to speak it and encourage them to speak it in the home and when with me. Basically if they want to get there way they must ask me in Spanish otherwise they have no chance. Since children always want there way they usually ask in Spanish. We also go to a Spanish speaking congregation every Sunday and I am the cubmaster for the children of that same congregation so that helps my children at least hear Spanish more often.

11. Cogito

That is good. It guarantees some good solid exposure anyway.

The younger they are exposed to a bilingual environment the better. Although they can learn language pretty effectively at a sixth grade level, it's nowhere near as easy as if they have early and frequent exposure to both languages.

12. zorell

zorell New Member

Cogito, tu razon es un razon bien y que yo necesito ayuda. Nadie de mi familia ni escrito ni hablar en espanol, perro es muy, muy importante por yo apprendelo con practicar en escrito. ?Puede meayuda con espanol?

13. Cogito

I'm sure it can help. For me, all the Spanish I know is from two years of Spanish in high school over 30 years ago, with some more recent attempts to brush up on it. This forum was one of those attempts, but it is late here and I am too tired to try ingles->espanol.

I never had the advantage, and I do consider it an advantage, of a mixed linguistic environment growing up.

You know what they call someone who speaks two languages? bilingual.
    And someone who speaks three languages? trilingual.
    How about someone who speaks only one language? an American/

14. zorell

zorell New Member

Gracias por tratas (crap, bad preterite conjugator) But, thanks for trying Cogi. I just don't want to go through another year of my teacher being upset that I think through writing and have to visualize the words to say them.

I shall conquer this, I shall!

15. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I can help any of you with your spanish, since I'm Mexican. Pero la verdad yo uso mucho los regionalismos de aqui de Sonora. Y tampoco uso acentos porque la configuracion de mi teclado esta en Estado Unidense.

16. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Gracias Marcelo :) Parece que tenemos más miembros que hablan español que esperamos cuando decidimos tener "La taberna española" :D

17. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

One thing I have found useful is to do as much as possible in Spanish. Spanish immersion is very helpful to learn Spanish. In the beginning, when I first started learning Spanish I had to think about how to conjugate verbs and I often had to translate from Spanish to English to understand what some one said in Spanish.

Now however, when I speak in Spanish, read in Spanish, or listen to people in Spanish, I do not translate to English. I think in Spanish. With practice and frequent use you can get to the point where you simply think in Spanish and that helps a lot because you won't lose part of a spoken conversation in the second sentence because you are still translating the first one.

I can help you out with Spanish from another perspective as a native English speaker who has learned Spanish and I consider myself to speak it fluently.

18. zorell

zorell New Member

Gracias vosotros:) It helps knowing ther are people that will help me. My teacher has been insisting that we stop trying to translate, but he's ffrom somewhere near Argentina, which is the dialect my school teaches. Apperently, according to many people that I know had to [learn the language, you've arrived when you dream in Spanish. I can understand what people say around me, but my mind is set to english.

19. Wreybies

Todos de nosotros usamos los regionalismos que nos pertenecen. Algunos, como los de Uruguay, Paraguay, y áreas de Argentina están a punto de tener nuevos idiomas. Cuando ezhos hablan, todo sale tan bezho, y a veshesh me da mucho trabajo entenderlosh. :rolleyes: Aunque La Real Academia Española le gusta pensar que tiene control sobre el cambio del idioma, la realidad es que se habla español en un área tan y tan granda (por dios, ¡tenemos un continente!) que el tratar de mantener el idioma estático simplemente es imposible. Idiomas cambian. Hecho y punto. Por eso tenemos la variedad, los miles de idiomas que se usan en todo el mundo. ¡Y que fascinante! ¡Me encanta!

Pero, con todo eso dicho, me alegro que los latinos del forum están usando sus voces! Este thread estaba abandonado por tanto tiempo. Y tal como Marcelo, yo también ofrezco mis servicios a cualquier que quiere mejorar su don sobre el idioma mas bello del mundo. Yo trabajo como interprete de español e ingles. También he trabajado como interprete de ruso e ingles.

20. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

I do not know if at some point everyone that learns a second or third language gets to the point that they think in it but I believe that they do. I can't remember when I stopped translating and simply started thinking in Spanish.

In my opinion until you have practiced a word enough you have no choice but to translate it. And if you know all the words very well in a sentence but one you can be left trying to translate that one because that one was the crucial word.

Vivi en la Republica Dominican por casi 2 anos y hice lo mejor para usar Español continuamente. Aun cuando leia libros usualmente leia en Español.

I put that last in Spanish to give you some more practice reading it.

I know by the time I left the Dominican Republic I was thinking in Spanish whenever using Spanish.

21. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Espero que con decir que usan regionalismos significa que usan palabras que solo se encuentra en uso en su piaz. Si es asi entonces se que conozco algunas palabras que solo son usadas en La Republica Dominicana.

Tabien quiero que sepan que no he terminado de aprender Español y no me voy a sentir ofendido si me corriges cuando escribo algo mal.

22. Wreybies

It’s not any easy trick to master once one is an adult. The window of opportunity for laying down a language in a natural, organic manner is between three and seven. After that age, it becomes increasingly difficult to take in a new code and have it function in a natural way where one is simply using words to express ideas instead of finding words to equal ideas.

As you mentioned, immersion is the best way. The Dominican Republic, where English does not have the foothold it has here in my native Puerto Rico, is a good place for immersion to happen and for someone like yourself to have the chance to truly get the language to process through the correct backways of the mind.

Not just vocabulary! There are syntactical differences between our speaking regions as well. And, of course, there is the word play for which Spanish is so famous, that is very particular to certain locations.

23. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Many people in the Dominican Republic want to learn English but in my experience unless you are in a learning environment with the intent to learn English then it is simply not used. I found the immersion to be wonderful for me.

Oh yes I forgot that it was more than just vocabulary. I got too focused on thinking regionalismos simply meant the vocabulary.

Spanish sayings give me problems because I don't know the background behind them and most of the humor in Spanish I simply don't get. I have tried and do understand some sayings but the humor has been harder for me to grasp.

24. Wreybies

Dude, I am 100% Puerto Rican, and I often don't get it either. :D

I was raised in the states, so I didn't have all the funny little coloquialisms used around me on a regualr basis. I don't know how it was in Santo Domingo, but this way of speaking can be as much as half of an entire conversation here in P.R. So, when the conversation goes in that direction, sometimes I just unplug. My friends can tell when I do this, and they try to explain the convoluted nature of these little sayings and phrases, but sometimes they are so culturaly dependant that I still don't get it. Watcha'gunna'do? :rolleyes:

25. zorell

zorell New Member

I understood the first sentence because I recognized most of the words and filled in the others. It's the second sentence I stumbled over for some reason though. I know the reason now, I didn't read it correctly, the second sentence was a lot easier than the first.

And, Wrey, "overload" is all I have to say, I caught snippets, which is my problem. I can keep uipwith bits and pieces because I'm drawn to words and phrases I already understand so I can use them as context clues for the rest.