1. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Lack of help, just arguing...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by naturemage, Jan 29, 2012.

Something I've noticed a bit on the forums, and it's a little bit annoying, and also defeating the purpose of the site. So, allow me to speak my mind.

Writingforums, as I thought when I joined, seems to be a social site for assisting fellow authors in their dreams of publishing, writing a fantastic story/poem/song, etc. It is a place to discuss techniques, get reviews and help, talk about submissions, play games as writing exercises, etc.

The thing I've been noticing, especially General Writing section, is that some people have the tendency to think that their suggestion is better than others. Therefore, instead of doing what the forum is designed for (aka, helping the original poster), some people seem to think it's okay to hold up the forum for two pages arguing with another user. Meanwhile, the OP is not getting ANY help whatsoever, and now we have an argument forum instead of a forum designed to help an author in need.

Let's be reasonable people. We're here to help people, those who are having troubles, or on the verge of being the next Tolkien, but need the extra push. If you want your idea to be out there so badly, write it yourself. I'll be the first to admit that when I write a suggestion, I do like it. It's my idea (even if it's headed towards someone else's story), and I want very badly for the author to use it. But BE REALISTIC! There are dozens of suggestions, and the OP isn't going to use all of them. Bashing another poster's ideas just makes you look like a jerk. We are supposed to be helping one another, not sitting on the site arguing that someone isn't experienced enough to give the advice, or that they are "stupid for suggesting something", or bashing their grammar or spelling of a post.

My point: PUSH YOUR EGO ASIDE!! These authors, inexperienced or not, are looking for help. I know I need it. When I go onto a post that I put up, seeking help, and I see a new post, I get excited. I rush to it to find out what new advice someone has for me. Then, I get there, and find that the five new posts are just two people arguing because they can't agree with one another. No one is asking you to agree on each other's ideas. We (myself included) are inexperienced authors looking for help. Arguing with one another isn't doing that. That's just creating more frustration for us, because we are still sitting there, waiting for the advice, and being held back because we can't think.

I think we all need to step back and remember what this site is for: HELPING FELLOW AUTHORS. If you want to argue with someone, take it to AIM, or Messenger, anywhere else. You want to be like Congress? Where everyone argues because they aren't getting what they want? Go ahead. But remember, Congress is supposed to be helping the United States citizens. They aren't doing that while their sitting in their big building, arguing over things. Things are just getting worse...

2. twelveninetysix

twelveninetysix New Member

Really? I haven't noticed this much at all. Maybe one or two people who don't seem to understand the question, but I assume it's down to language issues or something.

3. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

I've seen exactly one thread lately that fits this description. Maybe I'm oblivious to all the others, since a different forum that I frequent is very rowdy, and no thread stays on subject for more than a handful of posts. Compared to that one, this place is incredibly well-structured, civil, and helpful. :D

4. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

I know exactly what you mean. It seems to be a very unfortuante side effect of the internet and it doesn't seem to matter where you go.

I just got my butt chewed out when I opened a thread (on a different site) about well meaning, but misguided advice when it comes to writing/stories. I was only interested in what experiences others have had and used a personal example to break the ice. Baaad idea, everyone proceeded to tell me I was whiney and too sensitive, and that I should take the (bad) advice I was given. Why bring up a (stupid) story about myself? Okay besides my need for attention, at a certain point it just became an argument and I had to leave and decide not to reply to the forum anymore. You can't control others but you can control yourself.

Basically it is easy to get distracted and caught up in something else while online. As long as I'm not the one being attack ;) I try to start the conversation back on the right track. Ignore the argument best you can and try to get the conversation back on track. Often people will look at just the first and last post so if they don't see the argument they won't add to it.

Don't let an argument or a derailed thread or two get you down. :)

5. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

not getting me down. I just feel bad for the authors who are trying to get help, and end up opening their forum and just finding arguments. It's not getting them anywhere...
    I'd just like to know if the moderators can/are doing anything about this.

6. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

I'm new and I've already noticed exactly what you're describing. Sadly I have refrained from posting positive comments in several threads because of the adversarial tone in the recent posts. But I don't think there is a solution. People are people. We have egos. We're going to argue. When I see it happen I just avoid it and try not to fan the flames.

Peace.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you see such an argument taking place, USE THE REPORT POST ICON ([​IMG]).

This behavior is not tolerated. Members taking part in this behavior receive infractions, and if they persist they may be banned.

8. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Thank you Cogito. This helps a lot. :) I certainly understand a post now and then, but some of these arguments get so out of hand, the original post topic has disappeared.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I see your point, but only to an extent.

Overall I find that there are a very many helpful posts made each day, to aid writers and their work. If someone gives advice, and then another poster
    doesn't agree with the advice, explains why etc, and posts their own - is that argueing? Not always, imo.

This kind of organic interaction could be quite useful and enlightening.

If things descend into petty arguments, well then I agree with you.