1. Muxy001

Muxy001 New Member

Lateral thinking fiction that explores the alien question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Muxy001, Dec 14, 2020.

Hello,

I'm a first-time fiction writer substantially down the track of completing my first novel:

"We should never have trusted the aliens"

I think my genre would most accurately be described as Speculative fiction, but it has shades of Sci-Fi and Historical. I'm a little unsure, to tell the truth, as the novel has slowly evolved from what I had always intended to be historical fiction, into something ... more.

Three things that I hope to achieve (long-term) from this writing forum:
    1. Meet like-minded creative writers of fiction;
    2. Gain insights into the path that leads to publishing success; and
    3. Beta reading exchange for similar genres.
    I invite contact from other writers. I especially hope to find at least one writer of alien fiction.

If you want to know more about my project, I have a website that talks about the book and my [link and text deleted by moderator]

Have a great day,

Muxy

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2020
    Xoic and Madman like this.
  2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Hello and welcome, Muxy!

Science fiction and speculative fiction are lovely genres! By alien fiction do you mean that we see the story from the alien perspective? Or just that there are aliens in the fiction?

3. Muxy001

Muxy001 New Member

Hello Madman,

The story is about a dying 88 year old man who claims he had an encounter. The man is real, the encounter ... Hmmm

The aliens used telepathy to communicate which includes empathy, vision, and engagement of the normal senses. So, the story is very much from an "alien" perspective, but "interpreted" by the failings of the humble human mind.

Thank you for your greeting. I'm struggling to find time to explore this forum ATM, but I hope I see you "out there".

Muxy

Madman likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Hey Muxy, welcome to the forum!

Have you seen the movie Arrival? It's from a story called Stories of Your Life, by Ted Chiang, collected in a book called Stories of Your Life and Others. It's about a linguist attempting to learn the language of newly-arrived aliens who are quite different from how aliens have usually been presented in B movies or standard sci-fi fare. When she does manage to learn it, it fundamentally changes her entire relation to reality, in a way that forms the structure of the story. Very intriguing.

Muxy001 likes this.
  5. Muxy001

Muxy001 New Member

Wow! I'm luving the "feel" and "depth" of the people in this forum.

Xoic, that was an entirely different perspective to my own ... and it gave me insight into why so many people say they enjoyed the movie ... or not.

I hated the movie. The science was inaccurate/unlikely, and I couldn't figure out a reason why a so-called intelligent race that had seen the future hadn't considered and put in place a communication protocol/solution before they arrived. Especially considering that they knew in advance about the problems that it would cause. The failed logic and science completely distracted me from what was probably a great movie.

I remember walking out of the theatre to take a phone call, and then I smelled coffee. My partner came looking for me. Luckily, I had better foresight than the aliens and I'd ordered coffee for her too. LOL.

I/we have no idea how the movie ended.

Did the movie accurately reflect what the author had originally written?

I just realized something ... I need to get my own "science and logic" into better shape. "Interstellar" was such a great movie (for me) because I wasn't "distracted".

Xmas is a time for staff to take holidays, and me to fill in gaps while they do. I will get active in this forum in the new year once the staff return. Your insight made me all the more keen.

Thank you, and see you out there ...

Muxy

6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I kind of enjoyed the movie, but didn't think into it as deeply as you did. When I say i enjoyed it, I mean parts of it were nice and the concept was intriguing, and I did like the fragmented structure and the reveal that it was due to the language and what it does to the mind.

And as for the story, I got ahold of the book long before the movie came out and I'm not sure I ever read that particular story, though I did like the ones I read in it. Each one is quite unique and very clever.

Muxy001 likes this.