Lazy writing on the forum?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by w176, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I don't understand how pressing shift can be annoying - it just happens automatically. I have to struggle NOT to do it. :p If I was typing with one hand I might leave it out.

(I do that more than you might think, considering all the wrist injuries I take :p)

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Well, when I'm ranting, even if pressing shift is automatic, it's still an inconvenience. It interrupts the flow! :p

3. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

Me too. Dictionary and grammar books are my best friends. :)

I think that people who has English as a second language are usually more careful writing anything, for we have to actually think before typing/writng/speaking.

Actually, I find difficult to write posts informally. The English taught in books is different than the ones we learn talking to native English people.

PS: I checked the dictionary two times writing this and probably it still has mistakes. :-D

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I try to make sure my grammar is somewhat accurate when I post on forums. Of course, that, the spelling and organization will be off a bit, but it's okay. Like others said, I'm posting on a forum, not writing a book or school paper.

I've been to forums where some members "wrote lyk this, lol!!! they had no sense of grammar or punctuation, u c? & they sound like small children ...it's kinda irritating, if u no wha I mean."

5. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

A forum is like a fun barroom where you're hanging out with friends and strangers shooting out ideas, having arguments, and then it's on to the next topic. It's not a place for perfectionistic standards like some kind of bourgeois tea party.

...or it is if you make it so.

But, I suspect that you'll never be happy if you aren't prepared for the casual atmosphere of The. Inter. Net. (I hate when people use periods like that!!!)

I enjoy being able to read a post and make sense of it, but on the flipside, I like the wild nature of humanity and people who aren't proper. They're spicy as compared to the "just so" fuss budgets who really tend to not be very creative and not get things done.

6. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Wait, I thought this was a bourgeois tea party forum. Are you saying I've been chatting with mere peasants all this time? Hmmph! How awkward.

7. Allegro Van Kiddo

The proletariat are the good guys, man.

8. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

For me, it not about formal, or informal writing. An autos voice can be a lot of things, direct, colorful, personal, funny, blunt and still be damn good writing. What leaved me confused is writing that just lazy and ugly from anyone who aim at being a writer.

9. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Maybe because you see it as writing? Whereas others see it as speech ?

10. w176

If your written tone is close to speech, it fine, that is normal for a discussion on a form, in all but the longest post. Yet even so, like when you write good dialog, or any thing else you want to get across you should be able to do so in a clear and nice way. The posters that take it even a step futher, that have an voice close to spoken language that manage write their post the way you really could feel like it was a friend speaking to you IRl when it comes to pacing, word choice etc are awesome writers.

I'm not talking about tone, just that I cant imagine why anyone post a post when they haven't made the least effort to make it a nice to read in any way.

Quality comes in many forms, but not striving for any quality at all is a mystery to me.

11. Elgaisma

Thing is when you write your posts you write in broken English. I have put your nationality down to being why your posts aren't always easy to follow or require more thought. English is a language which has many different forms - in the area of Scotland I live in the dialect changes every few miles. That will include the way a post is written and where the natural positioning of punctuation falls. You do your best with your posts but it is just as difficult to translate some dialects into written speech.

When I write mine they are written in an odd mix of Scots/Scouse (Scots too many commas, Scouse not a lot of any punctuation). I use lol a lot because of being online a long time from a time when it was mostly Americans. My humour can clash very badly a LOL or a :) or a ;) goes a long way to indicating intent to the work. When a younger person types it is more natural for them to include txt speak, and other similar forms, it's become part of their language it is evolving that way.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i was just going to make the same observation, w176...

your own posts have many mistakes and make little sense in many places, due to those mistakes... since your first language may be swedish, that's understandable, but i have to wonder why you would criticize others for poor writing when your own is so flawed... especially since the first language of many of our other members is not english either, so they should be allowed the same exception we make for you...

are you incapable of correcting your own mistakes the way you say others should do with theirs, or just 'lazy' as you say others may be?
    such as with:

An autos voice
    leaved me confused
    it fine
    an voice
    that manage write their post
    when it comes to pacing, word choice etc are awesome writers.
    why anyone post a post
    make it a nice to read in any way.

13. w176

It not about the quality you archive. We not going from some quality control here. Or for conformity.

I reacted to there a whole lot of post here I wouldn't even given an E for Effort to a 12 year old. Even within the framework that we all post here aiming to discuss writing informally, online, with smilies at hand and as a accepted part of the conversation, at an international forum where people write English for all parts of the world at different levels.

Because I can't see that Effort put into it.

14. Elgaisma

Precisely Mammamaia - even those of us with English as a first language not everyone speaks RP (Received Pronunciation) or American English. When I am writing an essay or a story the punctuation falls naturally in different places because I am 'writing' when I am posting I am 'speaking.'

When i am writing written grammar it is much easier to put the fullstops in the right place. When I am writing spoken grammar the natural place for me to put my punctuation is very different.

Some of us also have learning difficulties which impinge on picking up errors myself I have something involving dyslexia/dyspraxia/ADD. Which is why i can write a novel in 20 days rewrite it in 10-20 days but it takes treble the time to edit.

15. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Pot and kettle.

No offence, but I didn't get any of that.

I somewhat understand what you meant to say initially, but I don't actually think it's such a major problem across the forum. There's far, far worse out there. When it gets to the point of not being able to understand anything, then there is a problem.

But I wouldn't like to be scrutinised so closely for writing on here. It's not like I'm writing a master thesis, it's just people discussing things.

Speech isn't always perfect...

16. Allegro Van Kiddo

Everyone should read this thread for answers!

17. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I actually put effort when I write in this forum...on facebook it's a whole new thing.
    my yours = would be urs
    I would be doing this 'loool'
    I would forget the you're and your rule immediately xD
    psh, grammar on facebook...what's that?

But I don't think it's much of a problem on this forum. A typo, grammar error here and there is what I usually see, but by using common sense, i can usually tell what their trying to say. Besides, isn't this forum mean't to be kinda casual?
    Just my 2 pennies..

18. Leftwing

Leftwing New Member

I gave up on textspeak when my iPhone wouldn't stop correcting everything I tried to type.

19. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

/off topic
    You can change that..turn off auto correct or T9?
    /ontopic
    I think netspeak should only be used to appropriate environment..like Facebook.
    In forums, you should at least try..

20. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Re:

Lol me too, I'm getting quite tired of mine-_-
    So by force I have been trying to fix my errors/lazy talk...

21. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Re:

I know you can turn it off, but I prefer to be corrected I hate lazy talk it annoys me to hell. See right now it just, "tried" to correct hell to, He'll:p it's retarded more than me:p

22. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Meh. No need for the spelling police. Most of the time it's not an issue, and usually when it is, it is because I type too fast and my fingers get ahead of my brain. Pretty sure you got the idea there, why bother to point out one little mistake typed out on my phone...?

Really.

23. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Do you really want to start this?

How about we begin with the first post of this thread. Not only that, how about the first sentence.

"There are this thing I just don't get."

That should get the ball rolling.

24. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Everyone who posts here, read my post that regards this post! I will set you all straight on this fact...

25. w176

"guality. "="quality" - Pfft. That didn't help rhetorically. :)

It not a huge issue, you are right. But also not an observation without any merit, not worth thinking about. At least I though about it and asked a question.

I happy with the discussion. I managed to spark an interesting debate on the subject. We have had a lot of strong opinions and all sides and interesting arguments. I raised my question and have been happy to do so.

We not trying to find the "absolute truth of the universe" or something of equal importance so at this point I'm also happy to move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.