1. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Figuring out Foreign (Danish) Grand Jury Equivalents....

Discussion in 'Research' started by Commandante Lemming, Jan 18, 2017.

Random question - and this might be more of a "how to" than asking if anyone actually knows.

I have one project that involves an investigator for the Danish national special police (the Rigspolitet), and I'm trying to figure out how a major criminal case would be filed in Denmark...and the reason is that I want to tell part of the story through false transcripts. If I were writing this about a U.S. FBI agent, I would be writing these as grand jury transcripts leading up to an indictment. However, what I have been able to figure out is that Denmark does not HAVE US-style grand juries (and I don't know whether they have indictments as such).

So, how would I go about figuring out how a case is actually filed in Denmark. I don't actually need to know how it's resolved, I need to know how something goes from an investigation to a formal criminal charge - and whether doing that requires the investigating agents and lawyers to present their evidence to some body that authorizes them to go to trial - which would likely produce transcripts if it existed.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd suggest you contact the Rigspolitet and ask - if you explain that you are an author doing research wanting to get your facts straight i'd imagine they'd be fairly helpful, they probably have a press and PR dept who are used to handling these issues

https://www.politi.dk/en/servicemenu/home/ (Click on English in the top bar if it appears in danish ) contacts are at bottom right