1. Inquire

Inquire New Member

Less On Getting An Editor...More On Being One

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Inquire, Apr 21, 2007.

I've recently begun the lovely process of finding colleges I'd be interested in attending. As a career, I want to go into editing or publishing or something in the way of getting authors published. Of course, I'd be writing on the side and probably minor in Creative Writing. But as for a major, I'm not quite sure what to do. General English is looking pretty good from where I stand, and if I want to be an editor or an agent, then is a degree in Publishing necesary? I'm less interested in the business and technical aspect of publishing houses than I am in the choosing and editing of what deserves to be published.

Right now, I'm looking into little liberal arts schools with an emphasis on english and writing. With a degree in General English, can I just waltz up to a publishing company and ask for a job? There's probably some bottom-of-the-ladder job that I'd end up in first, but I have no idea what it is or what kind of credentials I should start building up.

So...if anyone has any ideas or has been through this before, I'd love some advice or suggestions. :)

--Inq

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Editors do more than edit stories. They also have to do some selling, even if it's only to those who make the final decisions. There's some basic cost analysis as well, but for many houses, it is making estimations and plugging in numbers.

Reading interviews and having spoken with a few editors, most worked their way up. In general, it does not pay well (especially at the bottom) and there are long hours. But the editors I spoke with appeared that they wouldn't trade their job for anything else.

A strong foundation in English (writing and grammar can't hurt) nor would a strong background in literature. However, working internships, summer jobs or even volunteering with some publishing houses may give you a feel for the job or what it entails and get your foot in the door.

Just another opinion to add to the mix.

Terry

4. Inquire

Inquire New Member

Thanks so much to both of you. I'll be doing more research. :)

5. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

Iowa State Creative Writing Program is the best in the country. I live in Iowa to get in-state tuition. I have a professional writing degree and have worked as a editor. When you said editor, I think you meant more like an acquisitions editor?

6. mammamaia

what would a 'professional' writing [or 'professional writing'?] degree be?... and as opposed to what?... an unprofessional or amateur one? ;-)

7. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

No, it is the name of a business and non-fiction writing degree given by a few colleges (I'm in the U.S.). We were trained to write magazine style stuff, newsletters, executive summaries, science articles, creative non-fiction, reports, grants, proposals, scripts, and edited graphics and text. Also press releases, political speeches, computer Help support, computer manuals, web pages. I took several very good creative fiction classes but my real knowledge base comes from the professional writing. Look it up, I am sure you can find something about the program on the internet. Where is that? Oh yes. Here.

I've probably forgotten more than I remembered.

8. mammamaia

ok... so it's actually a 'BA in Professional Writing' or something along those lines, right?

9. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

It is a Sequence within an English Department. You can also get an BS, MA, MS, Ph.D in it. It is also called
    "Technical & Professional Writing" some places. Frankly, If you want to write non boring stuff, which offers new graduates much more job opportunities, you should consider Journalism. It is easier to find a journalism school, and more employment agency employees can spell it. Also work on a lot of web publishing because newspapers are going to the web.

10. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

I'm going through the same process right now, and as far as colleges go, my favorite so far for writing/publishing is Emerson College in Boston. They offer a degree in both publishing and creative writing, as well as a combination of those, plus any other visual and performing arts - themed major you could possibly think of. It's a private school, so it's a little on the expensive side (I think about 30 thousand a year tuition), but when I visited I loved it. Seems like they do an excellent job of preparing you, not to mention they're in the middle of Boston and have internships to pretty much anywhere you want to go.

11. mammamaia

sounds like a good one, alright!... best of luck re getting in...

love and hugs, maia