Let's share people's reaction after they find out we write!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cherrya, Apr 27, 2017.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Wow.

2. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

Wow, what?

3. 123456789

We'll need a second opinion but I think it sounds very condescending, for starters.

4. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I honestly didn't mean to sound condescending at all! I was having a little giggle at how clueless some people are ... but tried to acknowledge that even I was quite clueless before I started my novel. I was genuinely trying to acknowledge that people do try to give what they believe is a good response to the news that someone writes. I think sometimes we writers can be quite harsh when speaking about the people who don't know what to say. But if those people don't know what to say, props to them for trying to say something at all!

Anyway. Apologies for the misunderstanding. :)

123456789 likes this.
  5. 123456789

My bad ;)

6. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

People I know a little bit aren't that surprised. I already act, draw, play an instrument... I'm gifted in the arts department, in general. Except dancing. I can't do that.

People that don't know me, well. They're super surprised. Mostly, they see that I'm gifted in the academic side of things. They think I want to be a scientist or something. XD

People online usually think I'm a lot older than I am. If I send a sample of my writing to someone I meet without them knowing my age, and then tell them after they read it, they'll say something like "Oh my god, I thought you were in your twenties you're so good what an ambitious child" which... is sort of condescending, but is also a compliment? I'm usually not sure how to react in that situation, lol. I'll just be like "Thanks! :)" and flee.

Ugh. I hate it when people ask me what my book's about, because if I give a one-sentence summary on the spot, the entire plot sounds childish and sort of dumb. If they ask me what I write, I'll say "Modern Fantasy" or "Fantasy" or "Fantasy and Sci-Fi" or any combination of the three. :p

7. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I just get smiles and blank condescending stares. Hardly anybody asks me what I write. If they do ask, I say "Mostly non-fiction."

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

If you're one of the people (like me) who doesn't like talking about what you're writing, try this:

Annoying Person: So, what do you write?
    You: Obituaries.
    AP (desperate to change the subject now): So, how 'bout them Yankees (or whoever)?
    You (taking notes): ______ is a Yankees fan.
    AP: Uh, excuse me. (Starts to walk away)
    You (still taking notes): And he has good manners...

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superlaugh:

10. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Even better: "__________ was a Yankees fan."

minstrel and Skye Walker like this.
  11. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I've stopped telling people I write. My dad thinks I should get a "real job," my sister and brother-in-law don't care, and I don't get out much. I used to tell people I'd meet in passing when they were making polite conversation, until I overheard one of the baristas at my local coffee shop describe me as "that bum who thinks he's a writer."

If you work in customer service, don't turn your back to the counter and talk shit about your customers. They might be behind you, waiting to get a refill.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Me : I'm a writer
    Her : Wow that's amazing, is it like on Castle ?
    me: yeah, it's exactly like that, would you like me to sign your boobs ?

13. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Historically, people have asked what I write after they learn I write. I tell them "fiction," and it stops there, because only the worst among us will pull a stranger's tooth.

14. SnapFandango

SnapFandango Banned

Mine has been generally positive. I have sat in interviews in which they ask about my interests. I caveat my response to some degree, in that I enjoy writing, but only for relaxation, as if that dream of being published and successful is not one that haunts me, like Sarah Greene.

Unfortunately, all creative endeavours seem to pay sweet FA these day, so perhaps I am best to temper my expectations.

15. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

The only reaction I can even think of was a pause, followed by a confused, awkward, "... Oh."

I think the conversation ended there and I sidled away to talk to someone else.

D.Clarke likes this.
  16. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

This.

Or, they ask you to proof their kid's essay, or they ask you to write a cover letter for them or polish their resume...all for free, of course.

ETA: I'm fortunate to live in a creative community, so my close friends, also creatives, know. That's enough for me.