Let's talk about sex

Discussion in 'Research' started by BFGuru, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

completly agree Mckk :)

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

As a guy, I agree - that's why we become so impatient with all that romance crap :D

Nah, just kidding - guys can be romantic too.

3. Manav

Manav New Member

I totally agree with this, specially in romantic novels.

As far as naming genitalia, it has been done in many award winning books as well. But, I strongly suggest against it for romantic novels of subtle sexuality nature. I mean, "she felt his warmth inside her" is more pleasurable to read in such novels than say, "His ##### entered her ######".

4. jpeter03

jpeter03 Member

Sorry I'm a bit late to this topic, but I think it's important to remember that your primary goal is still advancing or enriching the story. A sex scene, whether graphic or implied, can give tangible and invaluable insights into the characters involved or it can simply draw the reader in. If it's the latter you might choose to just imply, because an intense, explicitly detailed sex scene is going to throw a reader off if there's no real reason for it in the story.

As far as a rape scene goes, I would still follow the same philosophy. If the details are important write them down, keeping in mind the delicacy of the subject and the fact that many readers will simply skip through those passages. Just make sure the rest of your story is intriguing enough that they will pick it back up again at the end.

No euphemisms if your story is directed toward adults unless you actually want to write a harlequin novel.