Life in an orphanage

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lorravan, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Nikolay

Nikolay New Member

It was easy to find for you, because Russia have no censorship, unlike in America. Try to find something like in America.
    It's been said that "unspeakable violations" in Russia. Literally, this is "Harsh beating children".
    Yes, that was in Russia, Amur region. Yes, that was not good and that was in Russia. Yes, that is not good.
    Does this fact give you a right to say about "unspeakable violations" in Russia at all? Does this give you a right to say about whole Russia as about bad country?

2. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Of course not! Please note that I didn't say that. You made it look as if only Russians are eligble to say whats wrong in/with Russia. If you believe that, then what right do you have to "provoke" America by saying they have censorship?

Let Americans answer for America. :p

See the point?

3. Nikolay

Nikolay New Member

Then don't write about "unspeakable violations". If you answer for him, be responsible for him.
    I talk about censorship in America because you can't find the same case in America, at least, so many.
    Yes, I got your point. And I told that you're provocator.
    Because you made a provocation about Russia before.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

[MENTION=53761]Lorravan[/MENTION]: I am a believer in making your idea work. I want to encourage you to write about an orphanage in the US, whether real or imagined, it can be very meaningful and interesting. Don't change your story just because someone had an objection to your plot idea.

One of my favourite books, Jane Eyre, is about an orphan. It was Victorian era England but stil, I think the emotional side of it is spot on and relevant today. Beautiful book, I highly reccommend it.

[MENTION=54591]Nikolay[/MENTION]: I can totally understand how you feel considering the propaganda against Russia that's been going on since the cold war. I'm Serbian and I know how it feels to be badmouthed on an international level, through false emotional arguments.

But I think we shouldn't shy away from freely discussing the issues our countries have, and whilst 'unspeakable violations' was a typically illogical argument used to diminish the value of the side they were criticising, still, Russia did have issues with orphanages and it was shocking to people from the countries that prohibited institutional mistreatment of children many years ago. I think the biggest advantage of the internet is that we can learn from each other, rather than be defensive.

5. Nikolay

Nikolay New Member

If this is a provocation, there is no reason to discuss.
    As long as I discuss it, I get stronger facts and harder cases I should agree with. Thereby, I should agree that "Russia is a bad country". Because "you see, that's right".
    But let's don't start it, we can go far, not only about Russia.

6. Lorravan

Lorravan Member

If this is meant to be fiction, would a made up orphanage be that distracting to the reader? Do you think if I included it in the story, the reader would be totally put off due to it being too unrealistic? It's supposed to take place in modern times. I'm not changing the time period, but I'm open to switching from orphanage to foster care or even homeless. The point is that he doesn't know who his parents are.

7. Lorravan

Lorravan Member

The reason I'm so stuck on the orphanage idea is because I've already written a few pages with the main character already living in the orphanage and I really like how it came out. I don't wanna have to throw the work away.

8. jazzabel

But nobody actually said "Russia is bad". You are the only one who used those words, when you were objecting to them. All I'm saying is, the best way to help your country, or represent it, is to welcome the opportunity to tell others good things about it, to dispel any misconceptions they may have. If people already have biased, bigoted view of Russia and then a Russian is being really angry and dismissive of them, they are not likely to change their opinion.
    Like I said, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think your reaction is doing your point any favours :)

9. jazzabel

[MENTION=53761]Lorravan[/MENTION]: I seriously think you should stick with it. And of course it won't be a problem, people dramatise the truth all the time in fiction and the audiences love it. Detective fiction would not be alive today if we had to stick to "realistic".

I worked as a psychiatrist and am well aware of the way things really are, but in my detective novel, I'm gonna make it so that my detective gets drugged and imprisoned in the psych ward, by the villain. I know there's almost no way in hell that'll ever actually happen tjese days, but I can make it work. That's what writing fiction is all about - finding the way to tell your story. Not a modified Frankenstein's baby version of it ;)

10. Lorravan

Lorravan Member

Thanks, Jazzabel. :]
    I'll probably try to find a way to make it work.

11. Nikolay

Nikolay New Member

Any words in such a case are not quite good.
    I understood you.

12. B. anthracis

B. anthracis New Member

Don't do that. While we do have the foster care system we also have foster families that somehow manage to adopt a surprising number of kids. A set up with a family like that, one that's even cult-like could be intriguing. And it could take place just about anywhere in the U.S. Maybe the family is well connected, wealthy, both, or whatever; they just have the ability to adopt a lot more kids than average. There's plenty of room to keep the orphanage-like scenario you're thinking of and it would be interesting.

And remember, there will always be someone who can geek your idea and say that it's not 100% accurate. As long as it's believable, the other 7 billion people on the planet will be fine with it.