1. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Like Some Advice, Constructive Critisism, Etc.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Xeno, Jun 28, 2008.

Hi, I've been thinking and planning for a while (about half a year) on the plot for a Science Fiction Novel that i've been wanting to write but I wanted to know if my plot was becoming too far-fetched. Here goes...

The Book is about a team of bounty hunters living and working on board a fairly large cargo ship called the Merry Hell (As in-to play Merry Hell with something). The team consists of five people, all generally from either an ex-Criminal or ex-Mercenary background and, most notably, an experienced Con-Artist who serves as the team's way of getting what they need, regardless of funds. The action begins when they are given the job of retrieving an extremely valuable object by the government themselves. They are given the deadline of a week and no longer under any circumstances. The odd thing is that this particular object is fourteen foot in length and begins to drain the ship's power the moment it is brought on board. Assuming it is some sort of experimental weapon, the crew puts the object into safe storage to block its signal. Due to the object's draining of their power reserves, the Merry Hell is forced to land to re charge, taking them over their one-week time limit. This causes their cargo to break itself out of storage and attempt an escape, leading to the crew's discovery that the 'cargo' is in fact a large cybernetic being from across the galaxy, captured and experimented on by the government. Now the crew finds themselves caught in the crossfire between a race of heavily armed bememoths and their own employer, who has been creating an army of machines to combat the Alien 'menace'.

Sorry about the length of this message, but I felt the need to explain thouroughly.

2. Klee

Klee New Member

The only thing that can make your plot succesful is your own ability as a writer.

You don't need to ask other people what they think of your idea, just write it and find out yourself.

3. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I like the idea. It kind of reminds me of Doctor Who. In a strange way.
    But as Klee said, it's your ability as a writer that matters.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think it sounds like a storyline idea, which will be as good or as bad as the characterization and the writing that develops it.

These are meaningless queries. Do you want people to tell you it's been done before? Of course it has! So has nearly any other storyline you can conceive of.

Never ask what anyone else thinks of a nascent story idea. Create the characters, write the story, and polish it up as much as you can. Then, and only then, is there a meaningful response to "What do you think of it?"

5. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

No, it's not too far-fetched. It's Sci-Fi, it's hard to get too far-fetched.

6. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

This sounds promising. However, you'll need to plan a couple things out further than you've told us- First, who wants the creature- what government, assuming you're not going for a 'whole universe government'- and why? Second, why didn't the energy-drainer broken free earlier? Third, is the group going to be a 'party', a 'merry band of adventurers', or a 'bunch of guys who all have their own motives?' Finally, what's the real goal of the group in the end- how are they going to 'win?' Take the creature back to its flock? Escape? Somehow bring one side, or the other, or both, down?

Answer these questions- or have answered them, at least in your own mind- before you write the thing. And last, but not least, know your ending from the very beginning. If you don't know your ending, you won't reach it.

That said, good luck- it's a promising and imaginative story. I'd read it.

7. Knotting

Knotting New Member

Greetings,

I agree with what has been said so far.
    But I do encourage you to think about the motivations of the bounty hunters. Why do they decide to place themselves in between the government and the heavily armed 'behemoths'? I see little possibility for monetary gain, and it would be easier to simply hand the creature over to one side or the other.

For example, if the people of the Merry Hell are sympathetic with their cargo creature, would they not simply give it back to the species from whence it came? If they are more inclined to help the government out, due to a financial reward for instance, would they not simply give it to them instead? Ordinarily people do not engage in conflict for no reason. Though, maybe those of the Merry Hell do simply enjoy a good fight and do wish to engage in conflict for its own sake, but that is an entirely different matter isn't it?

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Kind of sounds like a combination of Firefly, Alien vs. Predator, and Terminator?

Nothing wrong with that. As other said, it all depends on how you execute the writing/story telling aspect of the idea.

Good luck.

Terry

9. edens garden

edens garden New Member

It did seem very similar to firefly. Crew of less than legal individuals who steal and con pick up a mysterious package, except in firefly it turned out to be a girl, but the government went after them just the same. But, like cognito said, basically everything has been done. My advice is this: be sure to make it your own. Give your characters distinct personalities and the story your own feel and it should work out just fine.

10. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria New Member

I think it's an interesting idea. :) Just let it grow and write it. Don't ask our permission to go crazy with your own idea.

It might sound like Firefly, but it isn't. Create the characters, build your plot and just write. *hugs* :-D

11. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Thanks for all of you're advice and responses. I wasn't expecting this many responses so quickly. For all those who made references to Firefly, that was my basic inspiration, that and Tansformers, but I'm making every effort to distinguish it. Thank you, all.