Tags:
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

LinkedIn - anyone get messages to join networks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Apr 11, 2015.

I got an email claiming to be from a nurse manager I work with to join her contacts on LinkedIn. I'm not on LinkedIn and I don't update much on my FaceBook page, FB is too intrusive.

The message:
    The thing is, the email is from "Messages-Do Not Reply@LinkedIn.com" so clearly it's not a personal message.

It asks me to confirm I know the nurse, which I do, and it so happens I actually did work for that facility just yesterday. But that could be a coincidence, unless she looked for me online or something. She does have my email address.

Below the message is:
    I am reluctant to confirm anything knowing they will then add me to their system.

It's not that I care, were this a true invitation I'd confirm I know her. But it smacks of FaceBook's tactic of telling me all the people it thinks I know, linking friends of friends to tell me to join their pages. My friends are not seeking me out, FB is. I will ask my fellow nurse what she knows about it, but I can't call her until Monday.

Just wondered what experience others had with LinkedIn's marketing tactics?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I used to get them. They make it next to impossible to extricate yourself from their network of junkmail and you have to dig to find the area where you can turn off all the email notifications.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Every five seconds.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

Are they supposedly from people you know or do business with?

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Yes, always, but I just ignore them. Till now I thought it was something I needed to take care of but didn't want to, like taxes.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I get them all the time, from business associates and family. I mean, it's not their fault. LinkedIn just starts gluing everybody together in hopes that Synergy will result and Great Things will happen. Of course, we all yawn and hope they all go away.

7. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

I'm a user, and I guess they just invited everyone in the user's e-mail contact list. If you accept the invitation, you'll be redirected to their website where you can join the network, if you like.
    I rarely receive these kind of invitations, but I often do get stuff like "People are looking at your LinkedIn profile" etc. but these e-mails don't bother me as much.
    Perhaps this person invited you intentionally to join.

Lance Schukies likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'd say ignore any messages that try to get you to respond. if you're not interested. Just put the message in your spam folder. I found that by designating them as spam, they now don't appear in my email inbox at all.

9. Podam

Podam New Member

When I signed up to LinkedIn it wanted to ask everyone in my emails contact list to join my network. There are people in my contact list that I've only had contact with once, like my real estate agent. I clicked the "No..."-button. LinkedIn is really obnoxious like that.

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I signed up for LinkedIn once in all innocence, because a business associate was on it and so was my sister. I've found it to be pretty darn useless. I get emails from them, but usually I just delete them without looking at them.

11. GingerCoffee

I don't know why I didn't think of that, I imagine I am in the person's email address book. As for intentionally, I can't see why she would but I've not yet asked her.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

BTW, once you get yourself nicely clear of their email updates, DO NOT revisit the site. It's like walking into a Walgreens when you have their little discount card program thingie. As soon as you leave, emails.... :bigmad: