Log cabin vacation turned into nightmare

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by WorldsStrongestPolyglot, Apr 28, 2022.

1. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

WorldsStrongestPolyglot Member

So I’ve brainstormed for my Neptune story, but still can’t think of a purpose, a “why” my characters would go there. It’s for a getaway, to go enjoy the scenery and to tell stories to each other while listening to the ripping 1300 mph winds. There’s no major plot, it would be the story of leisure. The retelling of a vacation (I suppose)?

2. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

Has anyone here ever been to Dillard’s?

3. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

Has anyone here ever been to Sugar Land, TX?

4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I've been to both, though not to the Dillards in Sugarland, should there indeed be one there.

5. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

So there’s another story idea I came up with on the long ride down to South Texas. I think it could be a romantic drama? Here’s the base idea…

So this younger man, probably 28 years old, notices a beautiful, slightly older Chinese women. They meet in Sugar Land (where I don’t know) and chat, he notices instantly there’s a spark between them (or at least he thinks).

So later, he finds out she spent the night at an older man’s home (a man probably in his late 50’s). In the story, the guy lives in a large, multi-million dollar home. The main character knows what probably went on there and he feels sick to his stomach since he had a crush on her.

Now he wants to capture her interest romantically but there’s a male orbiter in the picture, and the main character lacks some confidence and believes at first that he has no shot against an older, more experienced guy who’s got money.

I mentioned Dillard’s because I find the combination of the music (that upbeat stuff they play… whatever that is… I’ll try to find), the marble tiles, lighting and everything else peculiar and oddly fascinating. It’s difficult to explain. So maybe part of the story can take place there?

6. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

The music sounds like this

7. Catriona Grace

I got a feeling we're not talking about the same Dillards.

8. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

Not the clothing store?

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

My advice is pick a story and write it. Coming up with lots of ideas is only good if you actually act on them, otherwise it just becomes a method of procrastination

10. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

True, it must be my ADD

11. Catriona Grace

Okay, we are talking about the same thing institution, then. I don't experience any kind of fascination with the department store's music, etc., so thought perhaps you were referring to a different sort of Dillards.