Tags:
  1. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

Looking for a name for a symbiotic species

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Feo Takahari, Apr 24, 2022.

My setting includes aliens called Riders, little lizard-caterpillar thingies that have a symbiotic relationship with animals. I’m trying to come up with a snappy name for the animals.

They’re these big dumb quadrupeds, roughly similar to bovines, but with digging tusks for eating roots. Riders use the animals for transportation/remembering how to get somewhere (Riders have terrible spatial memory), finding food, protection against pack predators, and companionship. The animals need Riders to deal with powerful lone predators (by a method I won’t detail here), and Riders also treat their injuries and keep them clean of parasites. Riders can communicate some commands, like “remember this location” or “hold still for now,” but the animals aren’t smart enough to say much back.

Usually it’s just intelligent species that get an English name in this setting (the Builders, the Scholars, etc.), but I feel like these animals need a name because they’re so closely linked to the Riders. I’ve been calling them “Bond-beasts,” but I feel like I’m missing a better term. (“Companions” sounds like a euphemism, and “Diggers” underplays their importance.)

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

If I were far away from a finished rough draft, I'd just use a simple thesaurus, find the best candidate, and use it as a placeholder and maybe change it later.

For your example, I came up with

'Brawns' (get it - you've got the brawn, I've got the brains...),

BOBs (short for beasts of burden), and

'Juments', a word I never heard before that means beast of burden.

3. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

I actually like "Bond-beasts", for some reason. It sounds unusual, nearly alien, but very descriptive. Like a word born out of necessity to describe a thing that's very integral to the Riders' biology and culture.
    Often, things that have been around forever, don't have complicated names, because nobody ever sat down and tried to make one up. The names arose in the dark of the past.

If you simply leave away the hyphen, it sounds fine. The word is as unfamiliar to us, the readers, as the entire concept of always being dependent on another animal is.

4. Alcove Audio

Alcove Audio Contributor Contributor

I know that you seem to want English words, but.....

I always default to thesaurus and translate apps when I get stuck.

My Thesaurus list:

bovine
    oxen
    grazer
    steer
    beast
    kine
    cattle
    bullock

From Translate (I picked a couple at random):

language - Bengali

Bōbhā'ina
    balada
    cāraṇa
    hāla
    dharā
    jantu
    kā'ina
    gabādi
    paśu
    balada

language - Xhosa

inyama
    yenkomo
    iinkomo
    idlelo
    lawula
    irhamncwa
    inkomo
    iinkomo
    inkunzi
    yenkomo

I sort of like "Balada" and "Inkomo." Mash them up a bit and I get "Balink."

5. Fervidor

Fervidor Senior Member

I know the feel. I'm actually just about to post a thread very similar to this one, for exactly the same reason.

Anyway, I gather we're looking for a term implying "something that carries you, that you rely on for survival," and I agree it feels like there should be a fitting one. All I can think of right now is "steed" or "mount."

Life Mount? Life Steed? Carrier guide... thing? I dunno, I'll try thinking about it some more.