1. Ziggy.

Ziggy. Active Member

Looking for romance recommendations.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ziggy., May 10, 2020.

I'm looking for decent romance recommendations, maybe with some science-fiction involved. Fell in love recently with The Mad Scientist's Daughter and wanted to find more well-writeen AI/Robot & Human romances, or generally well-written romance.

Seems there's a lot of generic oversaturation when it comes to the genre so I'm just trying to get a good idea of separating the wheat from the chaff.

2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I'm not sure about sci fi romance, but the last romance novel I read that now I think about wasn't a romance novel necessarily is a book called Be Frank With Me, by ... Someone. It's rather cheese covered in a few spots, but overall, it's a decent story. I don't typically go for romance, so I was happy to be surprised by that one. It's about a woman who is this author's personal assistant and ends up building a friendship with the author's son, Frank. Hijinks ensue, hue hue hue.

3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

At first I thought this was an ad about single ladies in my area. Anyway-

Your Name.

Your Name.

and

Your Name.

It's an anime movie, so different medium than a novel, but don't restrict yourself to the written word. You can learn a lot from any storytelling form.

If you have an open mind and you're willing to give anime a try, then I also recommend The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and the show Steins;Gate (not the prequel, which is Steins;Gate Zero).

It's NSFW, but there's also the Bakemonogatari series. That's an erotic, perverted harem though.

These are all available on Amazon Prime Video, or on Crunchyroll. I would start with Your Name if you've never watched anime before, or if you're skeptical of my taste. Just do yourself a favor and watch the dub.

(Note: These romances all have supernatural, sci-fi / fantasy elements to them. Your Name is more of a teen romance, whereas Steins;Gate is more adult I'd say.)

Last edited: May 11, 2020