1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Love triangle, square???

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by live2write, Feb 28, 2013.

In my book I am writing I am curious to how a possible love triangle or square (some shape of sort) that affects the characters and the events of the plot.

Down the list here is how it goes.

Main Character Protagonist (telling the story): Amber
    Character 1: Geb
    Character 2: Carmen
    Character 3: Sully

Amber is single, a strong dedicated woman of her position. She has a step-brother named Geb who was adopted into the family after a tragic incident. Over the years Geb has fallen in love with Amber and it has become Unrequited love. She does not know how much he loves her and only considers Geb as a brother and partner. He is often over protective and does not allow men to get close to her.

Meanwhile Amber comes across Sully, her husband from her past life who has been searching for her for years. She does not know of this and has no memory what so ever. However they do share a give where they are both two creatures alike. He possesses her and is involved in every aspect of her life and often intervenes on occasion when it comes to jealousy or when she confronts another man. Overtime he learns to understand that Amber is not the same person, however Amber slowly regains her memories and realizes how much she loves him.

Carmen is introduced to Amber as her guardian appointed by her father. He is there to help her through her missions and military projects and falls in love with her at first sight. Amber does have a heart for Carmen and she is in love with him but is afraid to express it because it would be her first love.

Carmen knows who Sully is from the past and they grew up being friends. Carmen does know that Sully and Amber were married in their past life but confronts him many times that things are not the way they are now in this life. Sully and Carmen butt heads all the time and it often turns out to Amber getting hurt physically or a serious fight.

I see this being an interesting catalyst to the story where love and conflict can change the series of events and add twists and turns.

However I also see this as a possible problem where how far can you drag the love story for so long?

2. Xatron

Xatron New Member

I don't understand your question. You want to know it it will become tiresome after a while if you drag the love story out?

Btw Carmen as a male name? He must have been beaten up really bad throughout his school years.

3. JennyM

JennyM New Member

Think it's a great concept. Will you be bringing different time zones through past life regression? Different time zones could perhaps help make your story flow if you're worried. Could she be tricked into a hypnosis / regression state?

4. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Carmen is my boyfriend's name. He is italian.

How the past is revealed is through Amber's dreams. Dreams are the equivalent to going into a time machine. She can relive her past life as well as be able to see some elements of the future. She is able to find this out after she encounters Sully. Especially when before she was an insomniac.

Also I am concerned because love triangles always end up the same repetitive outcome. Honestly would it hurt for the main character to have both?

One character being the physical relationship and another being the emotionally attached? I can see using this love triangle scheme into allowing the characters to shape the story and add surprises here and there.

However one of the major questions is show long should this drag on? Initially I want this to be a series of books, and I want the relationship to be able to transition into the next book. I think leaving it open ended would really make the reader say "come on who does she choose?".

5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Could I get you to make that character Sicilian? (And blue-eyed) My Aunt Clara would be so proud.

As for romance and work and "balance," let me tell you, there is no such thing. I made that mistake once.

In truth, girl, you should make the interaction "over the top." When a man gets mixed up with a woman on the job (and my experience was also with a 'redhead') then he throws away all reason.

After all, the woman is with him always. Working, eating, sleeping, on his motorcycle--oh, wait, what was I talking about?

The real conflict in this love/practicality equation is that there is no balance and it is consuming to distraction. As for the discussion of feelings, just pour yourself into it and beat it to death. That's what emotion is during this application. Besides actually being crazy, this situation is the closest example.

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Three guys all in love with the same naive girl? Is there a vomit emoticon anywhere.
    This is not a triangle, or square, its just one character being over appreciated. Don't you think a more appropriate shape for this relationship would be Y?

7. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Digits, you're not going to believe this, but it happened at the coffee bar to young barista at the end of last summer.

I pulled a stalker off of her, only to find out from her manager that a mall rent-a-cop had become her new stalker. The brass were walking her back and forth to her car.

Now, if you met this girl there would be an odd dichotomy. Perhaps it's my age, but she looks fourteen to me. Perhaps 95 pounds and a biscuit. Kind of a waif, long hair that looks like a breeze is always blowing on her--strong breeze would knock her over. Yet numerous guys chase her.

I asked her boss if she was a tease, and found out she's just clueless.

8. GhostWolfe

GhostWolfe New Member

Just because it happens doesn't mean that it makes it any less off-putting for us less-fortunate readers who are getting to the point where it's time to settle down with three cats & a bottle of vodka & call it good *harumph* :p

9. La_Donna

La_Donna Member

I would caution against writing a character with a real person's name. Although it can help with character development at first, in the end you may just be writing him, and it may detract from your eventual character.

Back to the main point. If three men are going to be in love with this girl, she needs to be a pretty amazing character. She needs to be wholly different and not just a pretty, but bland girl. That makes for very annoying reading when you cannot see why these characters fall head over heels with her.

Quick question: are you going to make your character conform to her "destiny" by getting with Sully? If so, are these other two characters who are in love with her a little superfluous? I almost think that 2 people fighting over her will be enough, and maybe you should bring in another character for the other man, or leave him single.

And, from you description, I'm not sure that your character sounds very pro-active. If she's not, it will be very difficult to understand why these three men are all in love with her!

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Maybe not for this era, but we accepted that James Bond did it. In the late 1970s most of the guys in my office dated more than three girls, including me. This is just a case of turn-about.

Like many people say here about other fantastic and improbable ideas--like the 17th zombie story, but the lead undead guy is actually a dragon--it's how you tell the tale.

But c'mon guys (and I mean the guys) we all know a woman with that special something that you cannot define, but other guys hit on her like she's the last viable transport back to Earth.

11. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Only if the girl's a tease.

And with James Bond it's a little different. He saved the world.

12. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

That plot with them being married in a past life and the resulting confusion this would cause the one who knows is actually a great idea

13. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I crush on this girl in high school. Two other guys also had a crush on her, and we had to compete for her affection. It was weird and too reminiscent of caveman mating rituals, in my opinion. So, things like this really do happen in real life. But it doesn't really matter if it happens in real life anyway, because stories are not truth, they are the illusion of truth. You can have the most crazy situation and circumstances in a plot, and it's fine as long as the writer makes it feel real.

Be careful that this character doesn't become a "Mary Sue". She sounds pretty innocent in your description, but she should not be innocent in this process. Maybe she starts out not understanding what's happening, but at some point (probably halfway through the story) she should realize what's going on. I see it as potentially each guy views her differently, and she doesn't know which view of her she likes differently. Maybe one views her as perfection, and another views her flaws as beauty, and the third guy sees her only as her past self from another life.

If you're afraid of the love story getting boring, it won't be as long as there is conflict. Amber should have internal conflict (which does she choose), and she should make some dire mistakes along the way, and also there should be external conflict. What are these men prepared to do to win her love? Will they soil another's reputation? Will they commit crimes?

14. live2write

live2write Senior Member

to clarify the character Amber here it goes:

Amber concentrates more on her job and duties than relationships. At a young age she had worked to obtain one of the highest positions in her nation's army. She makes sure that she stays there or strives for another hierarchy position. Socially she only has few friends and most of the people who speak to her are her students and coworkers. She spends her time in a library researching for personal gain and her personal agenda. Geb was the closest friend she had growing up in her life and Sully and Carmen step into her life at a very important time in her life.

Because of the changes of her position ordered by her Father "General of the military" and her uncle who is the leader of the nation, she was forced to undergo changes in her life that ended up having her focus on her destiny rather than her work.

15. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I've read enough of your stuff and exchanged enough PMs with you to know you're going to seek the best story you can write.

As some of the later posts admitted, we all know girls who did this in real life, not just on the pages of a novel. In fact, the girls who pulled it off made us guys look like buffoons.

As a boy I remember a TV show called Honey West. In pulp literature there was a similar female detective named Chastity Blaze. Live2Write's character has well-documented literary precedence.