Lovecraftian Horror

Discussion in 'Horror' started by TheSerpantofNar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Well At the mountains of madness would have to get a R rating. Del Toro may get to work on it though he has a good relationship with legandary pictures.

2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I think that the big problem with making (another) At The Mountains of Madness movie would be in distinguishing it from the Alien movies AVP and Prometheus ;)

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Another favorite of mine is "From Beyond." It's short, maybe four pages, but very powerful. Lovecraft reinvented gothic horror. He's always a good read, even if his writing style is more Victorian.

4. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Are you sure you're talking about "At the Mountains of Madness" and not "The Shadow out of Time?" It's been a while since I read either, but I do remember there being a war between two sentient species in "Shadow."

5. TheSerpantofNar

He certainly has influenced the way I will write horror.

6. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Mountains was the one about the Ancient Astronauts that taught early mankind religion and agriculture, but the modern people get killed when they find out, right?

7. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I can't remember. I thought "Mountains" took place in the antarctic at some recently discovered ruins. In "Shadow of out Time," the man whose consciousness went millions of years back in time, discovers the ruins of that civilization in Australia and the "evil" species is still living down in the hole after escaping their prison and wiping out the good guys (who knew it was eventually going to happen).

8. TheSerpantofNar

The rats in the walls had a macabre ending.