1. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Lumosity vs Neuronation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheApprentice, Dec 3, 2014.

So I think its a good idea to keep my brain trained just for life in general from work to school to household chores. I used to have a Lumosity account which my father paid for, and from what I remember it helped a lot with concentration and memory. Back then I think there was a way to use Lumosity for free and now its pay only, but I am on another site called Neuronation which trains the brain as well though I am not sure if it is as good. Neuronation trains memory, calculus, logic, perception, and language, but doesn't really measure attention though I notice I am less likely to miss things or make dumb mistakes as before I started on neuronation. The main reason I am on Neuronation and not Lumosity is because Neuronation is free. If they were both free I would use both to give my brain training sessions more variety.

So I am wondering from anyone who has used brain training websites:Do you think Lumosity beats all, or do you think all brain training sites are just as good? Also, are there any brain training websites you would recommend?

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Go for a walk and exercise your powers of perception and comprehension whilst getting fit.

3. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

If there's one thing in the world that I understand less, it isn't Lumosity or Neuronation. These sites sound like those rubber energy bands. Beyond that, it seems an attempt to formalize something I'd prefer to see more irrationally. I haven't interacted with these sites, and I know next to near nothing about them, but I'm still going to ignorantly judge them as some misguided abstraction of "intelligence." Brain fitness?

I better stop before I rant and say things I don't mean to.

4. Chinspinner

To be honest if you have not got the intelligence to understand that 'brain fitness' is BS sales speak, then no website will help you.

EDIT: Sorry, I did not mean to be offensive to the OP, but these things are clearly a nonsense.

5. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Neuronation is free....

6. Chinspinner

Funded by advertising?

7. Seekfind

Seekfind New Member

Wow, your level of ignorance is amazing. And I 'd say for someone in a writing forum, your lack of imagination for different interpretations of brain fitness is surprising.
    Regarding op' s question, both are good ways to exercise your brain functions, and both have acceptable scientific basis

8. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    I have to agree with Chinspinner on this one. You cannot train perception sitting in font of a computer. How can you perceive the scent of pine if you have never smelt it? How can you perceive the taste of Fugu if you have never eaten it? How can you perceive the feel of snake skin if you have never touched it?

9. Seekfind

Seekfind New Member

Brain fitness is not just about perception.
    There are brain functions involved in the process of perception; your attention abilities and memory are important, so if you train them, it will facilitate you're perception processes.
    I'm sorry if my earlier post was abit emotional but as a cognitive scientist, I feel responsible to fight such common misconceptions and false attitudes towards "brain fitness" exercises. A more scientific term for it would be "cognitive training and rehabilitation"

Another similar app for this purpose is" elevate". I guess it would be more suited to someone working with language.
    Also, Rosetta stone company has an app called "fit brains". It's worth a look

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  10. Chinspinner

I was going to argue the toss on this (but deleted it); we can all go and read the various studies into this and form our own opinions from the results.

(and everyone is an expert on the internet, apparently).

Here is a run-down of the major studies: -

A 2008 study by the psychologist Susanne Jaeggi found that memory training increased intelligence and implied that a person could boost their IQ by a full point per hour of training. However, when a group of psychologists working at Georgia Tech set out to replicate her findings with tougher controls, there was no evidence for a rise in intelligence.

A
    2010 study by the neuroscientist Dr Adrian Owen, which tracked 11,000 adults over a six-week computer-based training regime designed to improve reasoning, memory, planning, visuospatial skills and attention, reported benefits in executing the tasks themselves but little general advantage in other areas.

Owen concluded that regular players of brain games got better at the games themselves through familiarity rather than showing any marked improvement in
    fluid intelligence (the ability to solve novel problems and adapt to new situations as opposed to accumulating knowledge).

However, don't rely on me paraphrasing, the results are widely available (perhaps you should try reading them since it is your job, Seekfind).

Also, the following open letter indicates quite a consensus of opinion from the scientific community: -
    http://longevity3.stanford.edu/blog/2014/10/15/the-consensus-on-the-brain-training-industry-from-the-scientific-community-2/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Samurai Jack and Sal Boxford like this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I just have an instinctive distrust of something that spams advertising across so many websites. Evony, Lumosity, the woman who looks 28 but is really 52. Possibly because I'm outside the US Google Ads hit on really random things for me, but whenever I see an internet ad for something I haven't specifically searched for, my default is to assume it's a scam.

12. Recostar

Recostar New Member

I thought would share this with you. http://aceclinics.com/
    I have ADHD and have been to Ace clinics and had a assessment, it was really interesting. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the program. However, I did find some great apps like NeuroNation, that have helped me with my memory and focus, those being an issue I'm struggling with. I have noticed improvements, but I'm only using there Tab/cell version, the desktop version is different. I plan on starting a Video log outlining what changes I might notice as I start using their desktop version. I was skeptical of some of the results i was getting on my phone but I think they might be accurate. They kind of fit the pattern of a Brain that suffers with ADHD.

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

So is the forum partially.

14. mohini gupta

mohini gupta New Member

How can I use neuronation for free?

15. CrusherBrooks

CrusherBrooks Member Supporter

I used to be on the lumosity website between 2010 and 2013, during which I used it over 2-3 month stretches 4 times. Then I kind of lost interest again until the daily reminders shamed me into starting back up... You know how these things go. During these periods and maybe a month after I noticed the following changes:
    1) After looking at a map and going somewhere new, I always knew where I was and in what direction my point of origin and destination were.
    2) I stopped misplacing things (where are my keys/scissors/calculator) and I even over the weekends I instantly remembered where I'd parked my bike the last time.
    3) I started pickup up conversations where they left off with people I hadn't seen in a while.
    The effects were temporary, but I'm sure there were small changes in regular functions too. They're just much harder to notice. I mean, having a gut (correct) feeling of where you are at all times is an odd awareness but being able to focus for 40 minutes instead of 35 may go unnoticed. I've been led to believe that neuroplasticity is pretty much proven, but I can't tell whether these type of games really help in the long run. They certainly help keep you sharp in my experience. As for neuronation... Well if it's free, I should take a look. I discontinued my lumosity account because I'm a dirt poor student and I get my 'brain training' in anyway.

16. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

I dabbled in brain training for a few years. And by dabble, I mean I bought something like fifty books, read thousands of articles and guides, and even built a memory palace. During that time, I increased my mental strengths. I handled basic math problems faster than anyone around me, remembered far more throughout the day, and felt better. I stopped completely because I decided the energy I put into it was too much for me to bear. That became obvious when I tried mind mapping. With all the time I spent drawing up those maps, I had better results just building them into the memory palace. But even that seemed pointless to me because computer portability has skyrocketed. I can take all those notes and information with me for cheap, and spend more time on other things.

I have no doubt that those pursuits were healthier than not. I'm sure if I kept at it, I wouldn't even be the same person right now. But WOW! did it take energy out of me. Energy that didn't seem to replenish.

17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Reminds me of the Charles Stross book where the MC loses his portable Google-glassesque device and ends up with no idea who he is, since he keeps most of his memory stored in the cloud.

18. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Geeze. The day when people start stuffing their minds in computer hardware is the day when cybercriminals become the most feared criminals in the world.