Magic for Everyone?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by adamant, Jun 24, 2007.

1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I was reading up on the effect of social status, the Italian Renaissance, and thinking about the Adepts of the Split Infinity series. From those, I thought up having some simple magics taught to everyone, and those that excel become candidates for the next generation of Senators. These Senatorial candidates will have access to a better education in the arts (paid by powerful families in return for protection, etc) -- and for those who feel they aren't suited may forget their early lessons if they don't pursue some other form of schooling.

As for side-effects, I believe I have found a reasonable way for that as well. Those learning may not realize every aspect of the art made, and thusly, may injure themselves. For example: one may attempt to create a fireball, however, due to negligence, they are capable of burning themselves -- causing them to drop it; havoc ensues.

"HOLY EM-EFFING-ES DUDE! YOU JUST BURNT DOWN MY HOUSE!"

Also, using magic takes a resource, and though it is not particularly rare, one may run out of it -- or one may be unable to afford it.

2. MedicMan

MedicMan New Member

Normally I make magic the preserve of a select few - makes it that much more interesting, 'cause it's not common :) Also, I tend to have the magic users as being 'the enemy' rather than actual characters; if the characters themselves can't use magic, then they have a whole new reason to be mortally afraid of encountering the big baddie until they've worked out some method of defending themselves.

~MedicMan~