1. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Magic, Skepticism and Reactions

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Gammer, Mar 6, 2012.

Hey all,

In my fantasy WIP, the magic (chi) and the Gods who watched over them were once a prominent part of the world. There was a organization of warriors that interpreted the Gods' will and defended the land from demons and dark lords. Everyone was able to use the magic and it was basically like martial arts schools where there a number of variations and styles.

Then the Big Bad comes around and pretty much destroys everything in a war that's only settled when the top God sends a comet to Earth that just wipes out everything. The warriors that defended the world are dead (save for one) and the demons and dark lords have run amok. The Gods lock away the magical potential in humans and banish demons to the underworld. The Gods in turn decide a "hands-off" approach to the world.

100 years later the magic and the demons are starting re-emerge. Since then humans have developed alchemy as their main technology.

The thing is, I'm just really struggling with just what the general reaction would be to the reemergence of magic after all this time. Would people panic? Would they be more skeptical? Relived that the Gods are returning?

Any suggestions, questions or ideas would be really helpful.

Thanks

2. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

Yes to all.

There would be groups of all three reactions. Some would be very against the idea - a la witch hunts - and this would probably be headed either by a church or the state or a mixture of both - they tend to be the most dogmatic and fearful. Those that might lose power - i.e. alchemists would also probably be pretty peeved.

The majority would probably be sceptical until proven otherwise - people are essentially preoccupied with other things like food, work etc. to care much.

Some will probably be guardians of the old ways and be relieved that the old ways are returning.

Some might even worship the demons return and work to advance this course of action.

It is essentially up to you how you decide to write their reactions - my opinions are only that - opinions. You might decide that everyone is for the idea or against, or can't be bothered - it's your fantasy world - write the story that advances your plot and your characters.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are many possibilities, and it's up to you as a writer to decide, The reaction you choose speaks volumes about how the people feel about magic to begin with.

Do they express excitement and wonder? Magic was a bright spot in their lives, and they have longed for its return.

Do they exhibit terror? They remember magic as a tool used by wicked men and creatures to inflict harm.

Disbelief? Ridicule? Magic is but a rumor to them, which they doubt ever really existed.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

People will vary in their opinions in a credible world. The opinion of an elderly, socially conservative religious leader (if that applies in your world) will be far different than that of a young, change-oriented idealistic person.

Asking how people will feel about the return of magic is like asking how everyone in America will feel about the next U.S. president being elected. Lots of people will have different opinions, and for MANY different reasons.

5. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

You've said that in a 100 years humans have developed alchemy; this is just my train of thought, but wouldn't it take a little longer than that? I think that people would first need to get over the shock of losing their magical abilities and recover from the horror the demons and Dark Lords created, there would then be learning to live without magic and the aid of their protectors. And if the Gods played a vital role in their lives, then it would take time to addapt to live with out them. In addition to this, I don't think that people would really be skeptical of magic and demons reappering because it wasn't that long ago, teenager may think that it was just a fairy tale parents and grandparents want them to believe or something. A 100 years sounds a long time, but thinking about it, people can live that long, so adults will have been told of magic and demons by their grandparents.

Sorry, I know you won't asking about your actuall idea, but I thought I'd tell you those things that came across my mind as I read your post Gammer, hope it can at least be of some help.

Anyways, to your question = People react in different ways; most will probaby be panic about demons returing, though for magic they'd probaby be relived. Young people maybe a little skeptical (such as teenagers or maybe someone in their early 20s), though children would probaby be all excite and looking out for it. What little kid doesn't believe in magic? There'll be very few I think.

6. Tashanel

Tashanel Member

If it is really 100 years, what came across my mind is:

I really think many possibilities. Firstly, i divide magic and demon into good interpretation and bad. And then, i divided into three kind of ages. Later, i make it two kind of ages because i think elder and kids will have same reaction. I delete the interpretation because i think good are bad nearly have same reaction. And now we have two kind of ages with reactions. When i look at the list, oh man this isn't going anywhere. The elder/kids and the adult must be have a lot interpretation and reaction, because people are not same. Sometimes, we have young one that opposite with his/her elder and sometimes we won't. Then my final decision is delete the list and write this.

since i don't know what your god look like, and your demon, and also your human. Even like magic, why people in your story need magic.

you must decide by yourself. The condition must fit with your whole story. fit with your character. and fit with your moral. After moral, is worth quality.

7. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Oh no I've actually been thinking about the same thing. Recently I've been thinking of making it longer like a 1000 years or so. The only reason I was keeping 100 is because a character from the earlier age was going to make an appearance and I figured it would be easier to justify how he's still alive 100 year later than a thousand. But then again, if I can justify people flying and shooting fireballs, a guy who has survived for 1000 years shouldn't be that hard.

Also I've been thinking the reactions would depend on the social class and even then it would vary. Younger kids and elderly adults of the peasant class would probably believe in the old legends and tales more than teenage or adult peasant who would be more focused on providing and the crops.

Merchants and other mid-class people would probably be more skeptical and see it more as elaborate tricks while the Nobles who would have access to historic records would believe somewhat.

It would all vary person to person like people have said earlier but that's the general idea i've been coming up with

8. bazzie

bazzie New Member

Hi,

I agree with most of what has been said here. I think everyone will have different reactions, depending on the own values / agenda. Also, if enough time has passed then they will likely not believe in Demons, dismissing them as myth.

Odds are anyone with power or super alchemy skills is likely going to resist any change. As an aside, there could be a great character in here who has spend most of their life fine tuning their alchemy skills only to then find out that they can do magic, but they don't want to as they love alchemy / all their friends are alchemists etc

It is a little cliche but sometimes some sort of "group" that have "kept the faith" since demons last caused havoc could be handy.... usually even magic skills need some sort of tuition, what you can / can't do with it...

Overall though, i think peoples reactions will be believable as long as you explain why they are reacting in that way (preserve their own power / grandfather used to tell stories etc)

bazzie

9. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Whatever you do, please don't do that old trite stereotype where the church is always against everything. It's not only unrealistic, it's pretty dang boring. It also assumes that because people go to church they automatically become these inhuman weirdos that do things that make no sense simply because "they're churchgoers so they must be crazy". Sort of like how the "religious" character Locke on Lost was portrayed after he found the hatch.

Well, in any case, I do wish your description was a little more detailed. It would make your question easier to answer. Anyway, a lot of people probably would be afraid. They'd be looking up and going "oh no, now magic is going to come back and start a war like it did a century ago". Since it was so long, you could have some older people being all doom and gloom because they're the ones that remember what their parents told them about the wars. Definitely you have to have a bunch of impassioned teenagers try out magic, and maybe a girl character or someone who is very polite and very fearful of what her parents might think of them messing with such a thing.

10. Afion

Afion New Member

I guess the demons are going to be the bad guys, but it would be cool if one of them wasn't. The runt of the litter that eventually helps save the world. :)