Magic Titles

Discussion in 'Research' started by ElvenSorceress, Dec 17, 2010.

1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

As a writer, it's your world so make it up. You decide. There are 'fantasy conventions' but they are quite broad and flexible. But some titles/areas, such as necromancer, would (may) be more restricted than others, say wizard or mage. I say 'may' because you can try anything you like--there are no hard-set rules, and even hard-set rules can be broken at times.

Whatever system of naming you describe/create, it should fit the world you created, be logical, consistent, and make sense to the reader.

I had to set out to do it in the world I created for Flank Hawk. There are wizards, enchanters, healers, necromancers among others. And varying levels/ranks based upon ability for some--such as for wizards (not in any particular order) greater, lesser, journeyman, grand, imperial, apprentice, etc.

Although there isn't a chart listed anywhere in the novel, through context of the story and title, the reader can grasp and understand the 'system'.

Yes, I have a chart and information so that I kept it consistent within Flank Hawk and the sequel that I am currently writing.

2. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Well, in Harry Potter, Hogwarts is a school of magic. So everybody in there is a "mage," but Rowling calls them sorcerers I think, can't recall.

3. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

I'm glad you liked the idea. I'm always thinking about how to switch the old standards up to make reading more fun.

4. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

I like TWErvin2 post up there.

To expand on it, when I'm writing a story I make a seperate file that lists and describes everything unique.

Example:

Characters:

Bob: I will write his psych profile. I will list powers he has since I like SF/Fantasy.

Weapons:

Tesla 5000: Bob's gun given to him by a transdimensional cyberdonkey. It shoots charged crayon dust, etc.

Gear:

Norand Exo: Bob's exoskeleton.

Tilberg Spiderline: Bob's monomolecular grappling hook.

I keep this file open so that I don't forget something important about the character. So far, my books run about 600 pages and if Bob has some weapon in chapter one I want him to pull it in chapter twenty, not something else. Also, the personality profile is important to be because over the months of writing I might change my feelings about the character and write them out of character. I tend to be a very positive person and want bad guys to be good guys in the end, but that's not always right. The guide keeps me on track.