Making A Female Villain Feel Intimidating

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marthix2016, Jan 13, 2018.

1. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Personal opinion: if a man disliked all kids automatically, then I'd say they were either some brand of evil or a selfish manchild of sorts; if he didn't hate them, had appropriate relationships with some, but found most annoying, that' be pretty normal; being awkward and uncomfortable around kids, because he just didn't know how to act around them bust still liked them, that's kind of an endearing quirk. Again, personally, if a woman hated kids, that would seem more evil to me because of the biology and social reinforcement (on both her and me) that women tend to be more.... maternal. So shrugging that off or not having that response comes across as more cold to me (in a theoretical and fictional sense) than if a man did it.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Fathers tend to be more paternal... does "paternal" not equate to liking/protecting/caring about kids?

3. The Dapper Hooligan

I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just talking about ingrained social expectations. Women are generally seen as the creators, harbourers, and protectors of life, while traditionally men, while protective and loving of their children, aren't seen as particularly caring towards those outside of their gene pool. That's why when I say that a woman that hates children is more 'evil' than a man that hates children, it's just because it creates a larger disconnect between what we as a culture perceive as particular traits inherent in particular groups of people bases on social conditioning and mythology. I'm not saying it's right or defending it, that's just my theory on how it works.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Fair enough - you threw me when you mentioned biology in your first response, but if we're looking just at socialization (of readers as well as characters) I see what you're saying.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

I hate how people tend to get patronizing when they learn that I, as a woman, don't want children. Because OF COURSE I will want them when I grow up! I'm just not adult yet to know my own mind! And not liking them? Everyone likes kids when they get them themselves!

I don't like kids. I don't think they are cute. To be honest I think they are scary, creepy and they make me feel uncomfortable. I don't feel the need to get any. I don't want to spread my genes because there's nothing very great about them, except maybe a cute nose.

If I were ever forced to become a mother I'm sure it'd ruin both mine and their life - so why on earth should I force myself to like children because I'm a woman?

Sorry, didn't mean to rant specifically at you. It's just a bit of a sore spot. Perks of being single: no one expects you to have kids anymore!

6. Ashmash467

Ashmash467 New Member

First thing first, does she have a solid back story? I find if you really want to relate to your characters, it's easiest to sit down and write a full page on them. All their likes and dislikes. What their childhood was like, and why it affected them growing up into the people they are. Then think of questions you'd like to ask her. And respond in the way you think she would. Get into a state where you're able to see inside her head and how she thinks. Because the greater the backstory and connection with humanity, the greater the audience will be able to react and connect to her.
    Then comes the question of how to make her more terrifying and more villian-like.
    When you read books or watch tv shows, or movies...what is it you notice about villians that makes you hate them so much?
    For instance (Hunger Games). The President Snow character is one that we all don't like very much off the bat, but as books progress we see that corruption, lack of empathy or emotion, self-interest, discrimination, and tendency for violence when things don't go his way. His entire presence screams (Monster), but he smiles sickeningly sweetly and charms everyone of power as if he's a God. He is more impressed by obedience and order in the act of chaos, then the actual people who are being forced to kill.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

See, I want kids for the exact reasons you don't. I know I'm going to screw them up, I know my genes are shoddy at best, and I can't think of any better way to get revenge on the world for bringing me forth unwillingly unto itself than to go forth and multiply and seed my evil around the world so little, even more screwed up versions of me can make the world rue my existence. Mwa ha ha ha ha!

8. Lemie

Aren't you a man?

Because if you get fed up by the critters you won't seem like such a bad person if you up and left ;)

9. The Dapper Hooligan

Well, as the old crowd up here likes to imply, it really depends on your definition.

10. Lemie

I usually go by avatars. I mean it's a big risk I'm wrong, but does it really matter when we're just trying to find out who's a bad person for leaving families or not?

11. The Dapper Hooligan

I personally think it's a dick move regardless of gender and I know a few people that have been messed up by having either parent walk out on them, but then I know a few people that have been seriously messed up by having a parent stick around and you'd just wish that parent would sod off and never say boo. It's not really something I can pass judgment on because I do actually have a kid out there somewhere that I've only ever seen in pictures.

12. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Great thoughts. Thank you for that. Yes, I think it would be wise for me to sit down and interview my villainess to gain a better feel of her background. She has a very different way of looking at the world...I suppose similar to President Snow in some instances...I think readers will feel sorry for her upbringing or past and how a good person she used to be gets twisted up and does very terrible things. If I was inside her head, what she does to get what she wants isn't crazy inside her mind, though others will look at her that way.

13. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

I can totally see your perspective on kids and I agree. Although I'm a male, I don't like kids and I will never want them and I can totally see why a female wouldn't want them either, for the same reasons. Does it make a character cold or unlikeable if they don't like kids or want them or whatever? I think not. I guess it's the way you portray it in the story. My villainess in my current story isn't very fond of them partially due to the way she was treated as a kid growing up; I don't think it makes her a bad person for not liking or wanting them...I want to show my readers her dislike for them (some view her as a hero) and I think that will add to her character arc...perhaps HOW she dislikes them may make her look bad.

In general, I think there are too many characters in stories these days that end up happily ever after and have kids and stuff.
    I particularly didn't like how Katniss Everdeen's story ended...felt kind of forced and that ending kind of ruined the series for me. Seems like every story I read these days is like this. I'm one of those people who likes and appreciates tragic endings sometimes...I thought the Divergent series was a little like that with the main heroine passing away...obviously unexpected but it felt new and fresh to me. Felt different.
    Just some thoughts I'll put out there.

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I love kids, personally. Much prefer them to many adults I meet.

I agree with those who say the villainous aspects don’t necessarily have to be tied to gender. They can be, but one shouldn’t be compelled to make it so just because the villain is female.

izzybot likes this.
  15. Lemie

How ever I make it feel I do not think think it's a good idea to skip out on your kids. Sure, adoption might be better in some cases, but if you've put someone to this life you have the responsibility for them. You could make someone a horrible villan for leaving their family - but there is as big of a chance to that a story like that would be a sad one from the same characters point of view. Were they bad for leaving their kids? Yes, probably. But then there could be a reasoning behind it all which might not excuse it, but make easier to relate to.

I just get frustrated how things are viewed depending on gender. If a man walks out on his family he's an asshole. Bad person indeed, but if a woman does it she's a monster. I'm not saying this is everyone view, but it's seems to be the truth for some people... and that is what derailed this thread.

And all of this has nothing to do with the original post. I'm sorry. Just felt like clarifying ;)

CoyoteKing likes this.
  16. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Or the woman had the profound experience of being invaded by another being, one that dominated every moment of her existence for months, and then forced its way out, causing injury and immense pain.

It’s all how the individual sees it.

Fernando.C, izzybot, BayView and 2 others like this.
  17. Lemie

In some places abortion isn't legal/socially accepted, you know. So those past nine might've not have been some cozy bonding time, but a nightmare that just begun.

izzybot likes this.
  18. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Stephen King (in one of his non-fic books) had a very useful explanation about what scares us. It was something in the lines of, we fear the unnatural. So, a woman would feel intimidating if there's something unnatural about her, something that we generally think is not suitable for a woman to be. One that is "very physically strong and bears several battle scars" is definitely going to be intimidating. Then, you can think of other female villains, Cruella DeVille comes to mind. She was cruel and unstoppable. As for how to "exemplify her power and mercilessness" - you can do it exactly the same way as you would with a male villain since those are qualities suited for all humans. Of course you can add something about kids but threats to kids is a very overused cliche and may end up having less effect on the readers than you intend.

19. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

I have a very good idea now how best to show my female villain's sharp turn to the dark side. While there may be some aspects of her that could seem unnatural (she's not superhuman or anything), people will definitely fear her and she will still seem very human. If I mention threats to kids at all, that won't be a major focus really for her. My female villain is fairly young and has a unique quality about how she views how the world should be. I believe her character arc may be the most surprising for my audience. From the beginning of the story all the way to the very end, she will have changed so much. Going from good to bad. I think how she gets to that dark corner will be unexpected and unusual. I've honestly never been this excited about writing a story.

20. ITBA01

ITBA01 Active Member

It really depends on the type of threat you want them to be. From your descriptions, she seems to be strong, and intelligent, but also has a temper. Some questions I'd like to ask are...

How old is the character in question (along with the age of your protagonist) because that can have an affect on how people perceive a villain?

How mature is your character mentally (there's a difference between intelligence and maturity)?

She's a strong woman, so how does she fight (is she a martial artist, a sword fighter, or is she skilled in various fighting styles)?

Is there a line that she won't cross, or does she believe that the ends justify the means?

21. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Thank you for your post. Got me thinking more towards the right direction. I would say she's in her 30's and the protagonist is roughly the same age as her but a little younger. I'll have to think about your second question a bit but she is definitely a bit of both. She is a very smart thinker, she is a master strategist and rarely overlooks the little details. Her temper will get out of control at times and it won't be good for my protagonist's side...casualties are bound to happen. No doubt, she's a strong fighter...brilliant with the sword and she is good at hand-to-hand combat too in case she doesn't have her sword in those situations...I would say the story is set in more a Medieval era...so I'm not sure whether or not I should incorporate magic into the story. If I incorporated magic into the story, I suppose I would almost have to my villain have some magical powers. I just want to make sure I don't make her so extremely powerful (with magic...that's what I'm getting at)....I want her to feel very human to my audience. She isn't immortal. As far as a line she won't cross....well...for her there is no line. She will do absolutely everything to get what she wants.

Ashmash467 likes this.
  22. Maggie May

Maggie May Active Member

I've known women that at 5 foot and 100lbs dripping wet scared larger men ( 6 ft 200lbs+) just from the look in their eye. It's how they carry themselves and the attitude.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  23. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I would think of the most intimidating characters you can think of and determine what exactly about them makes them scary. It’s not their penis. For me, the scariest monsters are the mysterious ones. The ones that just stare at you, but you feel their brain processing in a cold, calculating way. I prefer not knowing what a monsters abilities are.

One of the scenes that always made me shutter was a where the Agent Starling that Lector had talked an inmate into swallowing his own tongue. It instantly painted Lector as having no limits to wat he’s willing to do and has such a mastery of human behavior that he could make someone do anything. The entire story would have worked perfectly well with a Hanibelle Lector.

24. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

When I think of a small frame bad ass I think of Maggie Q
    When I imagine a female that would scare the hell out of me I think of Charlize in Monster

Simpson17866 likes this.
  25. ITBA01

ITBA01 Active Member

Glad I could help. About her temper however, would that in any way clash with her strategic side? Generally when people are angry they aren't thinking clearly, and often make rash decisions, and overlook things. This is one of the things I meant when talking about intelligence vs. maturity. And with regards to magic, you wouldn't necessarily have to give her magic. In fact, that could make her even more intimidating if she can take on magic users with simply her strength and wits.

TheScorpion and Simpson17866 like this.