1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

marie colvin: RIP

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mammamaia, Feb 23, 2012.

a great, great loss of a great writer, reporter, and human being...

she had cheated death many times, but never let it slow her down... we are all diminished by her death and that of the equally brave and gifted photographer Remi Ochlik, who died with her, which was nothing less than premeditated murder... sadly, their killer will not be brought to justice for his crimes before many, many more pay the price for opposing and/or exposing him...

i also mourn the loss of the 'citizen journalist' Rami Ahmad al Sayed, the day before... much of the video footage of the atrocities being committed by assad's forces that was posted on the internet from homs was captured thanks to his courage and disregard for his own safety...

people like these are, sadly, anomalies among the human race... we owe them beyond measure, for insisting on being so... but it's not enough to just mourn them, is it?

2. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

This saddens me a great deal. I am not too familiar with the writers you mentioned, but just the fact that writers have passed really saddens me. But it also makes me wonder about these heartly devoted journalists and reporters that will put themselves in danger just to find their story... which makes writers like us appreciate them. Like Marie Colven as you mentioned, had cheated death many times but would never allow that to stop her. Things like that would make writers like us proud. To answer your question, it isn't enough just to mourn them, but to appreciate them for what they have done and who they were as writers.

May they rest in peace and cover many wonderful stories in the heavens/afterlife.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

A great loss. First Christopher Hitchens late last year and now this.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

[​IMG]

R.I.P. =(

I really hope I don't offend, but looking at Colvin's pictures, I can see that she wasn't one to back down; she was going to face any danger to get the news out. Her and Ochlik.

Again, I really, really, really hope I'm not offending their memory.

5. mammamaia

how could that possibly offend their memory?... i'm sure if they could read what you wrote they'd see it as nothing but an altogether appropriate tribute to their lives and their work...

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I just like to make sure, because...well...I'm not used to talking about the departed, and have trouble finding the right words.

7. mammamaia

don't worry about it any more... if you're a caring person, as seems apparent to me, the words you come up with will be okay...

love and hugs, m

8. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

Tragic. Sadly, I really didn't know who she was until she died. What an amazing person.