Marketing

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by GingerCoffee, Feb 22, 2015.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I was curious and looked it up (marketing at work). The get-it-from-the-library was even more intriguing. The Wiki entry made the library thing even stranger.

Wait Till Helen Comes
    Funny but I don't see the trailer on the author's web page.

This may be one of those trailers made as an early promo to the movie which may or may not be produced eventually according to the Wiki page.

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

The Black Ice one, if it was bland it was because it went on way too long.
    They could have stopped it at "Britt Pfeiffer wasn't prepared" and the shot of her failing to get traction. The previous shots would have engendered all the interest in whether she'll fall prey to the killer that the author could desire.

I agree that the trailer for The Evil Librarian was too wordy.
    But when it got into the new librarian hitting on the MC's best friend, the story stopped being interesting to me. I mean, call the cops, now, the story's over. Too much like breaking news from my neck of the woods: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/02/23/plum-hs-teacher-arrested-again-charged-with-intimidation-of-witness/

The one with the 3-d and the song, yes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Most people think you need books to have the fans. It's just that no matter what, Marketing is going to be a lot of work, or cost a lot of money. And like I said, social media/blog isn't enough. You need the tailoring to get that blog and social media attention.

Ever watch an ad while watching something totally inappropriate for the ad? Just off the wall unrelated. This happens all the time. And a lot of ad effectiveness is lost when your turned off by the moment it intrudes on your life. Meaning the setting for the ad is just as important for it’s effectiveness. Finding the perfect setting, and not even for ads, but rather for tailored followings, is where it is at.

Everyone here is opinionated and you'd be surprised at how many people would care to listen if you said it in an interesting/intriguing/enlightening way. As writers it is our job to figure out stuff like that.

Whenever you can, spend the time to market yourself. develop ideas and imagine the influence. Exemplify and denote. Create entertaining and relative content/articles/videos/contributions in places where that content can gain traction. And not just any traction, the traction of your target audience.(tailoring the audience) The more consistent you release this content for this marketing tactic the more traction you’ll get and the more potential your book has to get off the ground.

I’m sure places like this exist all over the net for everyone’s genre/readers. I would really take the time to pick apart other people who are doing something similar. There is little competition in this field, making it fairly lucrative. And most of them don’t do it to sell books, which means you have more of a reason to do it better than them.

Maybe I’m still asking for too much, but if your on your own, I don’t see another reliable alternative. But maybe I’m not seeing everything here. So how about it GingerCoffee? What does your game plan look like?

4. GingerCoffee

I'm confident in my story. I think I've learned to write at least well enough that if the story is good, it will be well received. I'm close to finishing (months not days) so I've begun thinking more about marketing.

If people don't know about your book, they can't read it.

At the same time, I walk by rows and rows of fiction novels at the book store. Every time GoodReads comes out with the New YA This Month, the list is long. The new books table at the library is full of interesting titles.

How will my book get anyone's attention. I picture myself as a tiny person waving my hand in a sea of people where everyone is trying to get noticed.

I have two things going for me. I truly believe in my story. And I know marketing is a science, like any other science. And I'm good at science. :D

5. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Yikes. I fell for the light-hearted vibe and didn't even consider that.:eek:

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

Hey Ginger, we joined this forum in about the same week. I think I gave you your first "like." Haven't been here in a while. Glad to see you are only months away from completion. Same here.

As for marketing science, Facebook has many options, (like you haven't checked it out already) where you can advertise to so many subgroups. Pick an author or genre and send ads only to people who have liked them. Send to specific age groups or gender. Test market on the cheap, find the one that works, roll it out. If you do a trailer, you might put a link in the ad.

Good luck. I have faith in ya.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

Thanks for the thread move. :agreed:

8. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Friends of mine have a novelette that reached the number one spot on Amazon's free short book listing with zero advertising except for discussions on Goodreads.

I have two SF/Horror novels hovering within the Amazon (paid) top 100 Horror listings, again with nothing except notices and discussions on Goodreads and my indie publisher's newsletter.

Huge and expensive marketing is not the total necessity some make it out to be.

Megalith likes this.
  9. GingerCoffee

That is so cool, @Bryan Romer. I know I need to spend more time on Goodreads. I should probably start that sooner rather than later. I'm registered and I read their YA monthly newsletter but I haven't posted any reviews yet.

10. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

11. GingerCoffee

:rofl:

I'm not sure that trailer is one that appeals to me. Now if they had the woman imagine herself as gorgeous along with the guy....

123456789 likes this.
  12. 123456789

I believe that would then belong in the fantasy genre.

13. GingerCoffee

Helloo... romance is a fantasy genre, just not the magical kind of fantasy.

14. 123456789

In magical fantasy the MC is always beautiful also, right?

15. GingerCoffee

Of course! :D