MBTI Test

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dbesim, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

This is where putting too much faith in the test causes problems ;)

The test looks at 4 factors of your personality, and there are statistical correlations between those traits and a person's career path, but it's not 100%, and it's not prescriptive :)

I'm INTP, so stereotypically, you'd expect me to be a mathematics professor, an architect, or a programmer (and in fact, I wanted to be a math professor for a pretty long time), but I didn't do well in college, yet I love my new day job in retail :D

If you don't want to get an "artsy job," you don't have to! Adolf Hitler was INFJ, and he completely failed as a painter ;)

2. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

It all just seems like glorified horoscopes to me, so...

3. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

I can see where you're coming from, and even agree to an extent. It may be worth considering that the middle ground between the test being just about serious enough to be used for character sheets and it being used as a foundation for one's sense of self is actually fairly broad, and that a sensible amount of those people who consistently score the same result regardless of the source will be able to find that middle ground without too much difficulty. I'll put this pompously - I'm too large, layered and complex to be defined, or summed up, by any personality test. I know who I am. What (I believe) MBTI to have reasonably helped me with is translate and analyse how I work to a degree greater than I'd been able to of myself, which is bliss for me, since (aiming to) translate and analyse how I and others work is an innate need of mine.

4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan Member Supporter Contributor

And if that works for you, that's fine, but I also see people take the test and then use those results to limit themselves in how they interact with the world. "Oh well, I'm and INTP, so I wouldn't have any fun going out and doing things," or, "I shouldn't try an art career because I'm supposed to be good at math," when in reality, both of those things would be incredibly fulfilling for the person involved.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

Agreed, naturally.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  6. Simpson17866

Not quite ;)

Horoscopes are prescriptive: "If you were born on Month the Dayth, then your personality is ____"

Myers-Briggs is descriptive: "If your personality is ____, then the label for your personality is ____"

Like I have
    • A strong preference for being asocial over being social
    • A strong preference for being theoretical over practical
    • A moderate preference for being insensitive to others over being sensitive to them
    • A strong preference for being disorganized over being organized
    And the Myers-Briggs label for an asocial, theoretical, insensitive, disorganized personality is INTP :)

That is true :( but just because many people use a thing poorly doesn't necessarily mean that the thing itself is a problem ;)

7. The Dapper Hooligan

But the thing is still kind of a problem. Even dividing people into Introverted or Extroverted creates kind of a false type class given that most people are pretty much in between. I don't have a problem with personality types or type tests in general, but the Meyers-Briggs is iffy. With result reproducibility at somewhere in the range of 50 and 80 percent (depending on the source) it's really not very accurate.

8. Simpson17866

Except that when you take a test, it gives you numbers like

87% I
    64% S
    75% F
    90% J

Even when I call myself "INTP," I still know that my weakest preference is T and that my closest second is INFP ;)

It takes extra work to reinterpret the labels from meaning "I = more than 50% introverted, E = more than 50% extraverted" to meaning "I = 100% introverted, E = 100% extraverted" :)

9. The Dapper Hooligan

The official MBTI puts it on a scale of 30 for whatever reason. But it still also treats things like Sensing and Intuition, and Thinking and Feeling like they're two ends of a spectrum, when they're their own unrelated traits.

10. Simpson17866

Not really:
    • Sensing is a focus on specific practical details over general abstract concepts, and vice versa for Intuiting
    • Thinking is when you try to be detached in your dealings with other people (even if you’re attached to the people themselves), and vice versa for Feeling