1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

MC introduction - for the What Would they do thread.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Feb 2, 2011.

Birmingham raised a point on the What Would Your MC Do? Thread so if anyone would like to introduce the character's you are talking about/

I'm using my Covesea Island stories mostly for the thread, Covesea Island is at the centre of a disc like planet that is a fixed point in space and time. The universe which is a living breathing entity revolves round it. It is where all life in the universe came out the sea and was created before being transported to where the Universal Father wanted them. All energy flows to and from the planet. The three main characters are:

Socrates Lorenzo: Has been with me for four books, he started life as an abused, neglected Crown Prince. He met his best friend Nate at age seven when he started at the Royal Academy. They became instant bestfriends and were pretty well inseperable - the friendship developed in their teenage years, into something more and they were 'welded' together for over a hundred years when Nate died. Socrates abdicated in favour of his seventeen year old brother to live with Nate.

In my second book Socrates discovers King Lorenzo is not his real father, his birth father is actually the person legends teach is the Lord of Evil - the reader discovers Socrates bird form is Cobbley the swan. From his birth father he inherits the position of Keeper of the Sanctuary Temple of the Fifth Element, which gives him responsibility for keeping the very heart of the universe and the site of all creation safe. Snot is his version of kryptonite and he carries a collection of handkerchiefs to help deal with it. He is the most proficient at the fighting arts and meditation/magic, and carries a retractable magic bow as his main weapon.

Angus Lorenzo: Socrates half brother. Begins my stories as a rebellious scruffy teen growing into a wise king. He is intelligent, kind and has a hot temper (first to punch someone also the first to offer the poor victim first aid). His big issue is he doesn't like being seen naked - he used to skiive school rather than change in front of other people for PE. Although if his wife Bea's reaction when she first saw him naked he has nothing to be shy about lol

He is married to the bossy, independent red-headed Beatrice. He has an ability of empathy with animals and can turn into Mayhem, the Great White Falcon.

Nathanial Smith (Nate): Half sparrow/half immortal man, his birth father was actually one of the Lords of Evil. He was brought up in foster care by Damocles and Lilac Sorenson - slightly nuts Earth elemental people (Damocles is my version of an ogre around 7ft with long dark curly hair, beard and black eyes). He is Socrates bestfriend and lover. Despite having perfectly good vision he has worn a collection of brightly coloured 'magic' eye patches, since he was beaten up at fifteen.

He is a spy by trade, was promoted to head of the Covesea Island Secret service at 23, his Dad, Damocles (big Mac) is his version of Q the scientist that works with the magic jing-ore only available on the Island to make all the gadgets.

He has a very rare ability to turn into any bird form - however his true bird form is Tarquil the White Peacock. He can almost match Socrates with his magic ability and can use any number of weapons, breaking a mans neck is something he does and makes it look easy. However he is also kind and loving with Socrates, a respectful loving son to Big Mac and Lilac and a big brother type to Angus. However he isn't very nice to his foster brother - sees him as a self righteous (*^&^ Very few get to see what Nate really looks like as he can project an image.

2. Birmingham

Birmingham Active Member

Hey, cool, I've inspired someone to do something. Which is great, as I don't do much :)
    As they say, the work of the rightous is done by others.

I welcome this thread, of course, but at the same time I think that in the "what would your MC do" thread, people should still write a word or two about the motivation of the person they're writing about, at least in a way that is relevant for the question they're answering. For example, if a character does something compulsive, you might wanna write that he's 5 years old.

Anyway, I have an ensamble novel, and I guess I have 2 major characters there.

Major ones:

Kevin: The novel started from a short story idea, where Kevin was the only character. He's an old man, an author, and the person he was in the past sort of reminds me of myself. He switched party affiliatin as he grew up.

Robert: He's a good man, highly motivated, who wants to make the world a better place. He's sensitive, but at the same time, he knows that in order to achieve his vision he has to break a few eggs, both in foreign policy and domestic policy.

There are also many supporting characters, and I don't know which one of them is gonna become big and which is gonna just vanish, because I haven't even written many of them. So here goes:

Supporting and minor characters:

Jeremy: Jeremy and Robert are good friends, and they help one another to get ahead in the world. Jeremy has had some rough experiences in his past, and it's unclear if he was born evil or became evil due to what he went through. Overall, he wouldn't mind killing anyone who is reading these lines right now. But he won't, because it won't help him in any way.

Roger: When I wrote him, he changed from someone I liked into someone I somewhat disliked. I describe him from ages 5 to 11, and he might not be mentioned at all in the future of the book. He lives in a third world country, and he's a big fan of Robert's.

Grant Donovan: vice president. presidential candidate. I'm gonna write him soon for the first time. He's pissed at Robert for not doing enough for him, and for screwing him over. He feels that Robert hangs him up to dry. He'll be introduced in the chapter "Vice without virtue", which says a lot about what I think of him.

Carl: Deliberately named after someone who pissed off a friend of mine. Introduced in the chapter "Carl Evans Is A Jerk", and will show up briefly in the chapter "Carl Evans Is Still A Jerk".

Jason: A combination between Jack Bauer and Todd Beamer. The most admired man on the planet, though some hold a grudge against him. He's the type of person you'd put as the main character in a series of novels, yet he's not seen much throughout the novel, as he's a very private man.

Wendy: The only character that is truly based, copied and pasted, on someone I know. Since the book takes place in 3 different eras, she's presented as a college girl who befriends young Kevin in one era, and as a law enforcement agent on another era. She's a bit quirky, she's tough, and you would not want her as your enemy.

Mark: Big guy, tough guy. Soldier. Strong silent type. MAN in the old fashion meaning of the word. The one you'd call if you're in trouble. The only thing we reallly know about his past is that he took several courses on feminism and gender when he was a student. Also, he's such a minor character, that when I saw a note I made for myself to write about his plotline in a certain chapter, I started panicking, going "Who the hell is Mark???"

3. Elgaisma

I don't always know how old my character is lol I have written him at seven, twenty-eight, thirty and one-hundred-and-fifty. Like he says he gets jet-lag the way I move his age around.

4. Birmingham

Birmingham Active Member

I have nothing to ask, so I'm recycling something that someone else wrote a long time ago in this very thread:

What would your character do if he/she finds a note in a high school library book saying:
    I will kill everybody in this library on Junuary 18th.
    (It's the 16th the day your MC finds the note)

5. Birmingham

Birmingham Active Member

I posted it in the wrong thread, and I don't know how to erase it. whoopsi

6. Elgaisma

Thats ok I answered it in the other thread :)