Melting - A Thread about Summer Time

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JPClyde, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

Sat here now trying to work out what to book in advance for our trip to NYC next week like this:

https://media.giphy.com/media/4bWWKmUnn5E4/giphy.gif

(apologies, I don'tknow how to add gifs to a post so they work :confused:)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    JPClyde likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah..... I think your HTML code is broken, friend. Must be the heat. :whistle: :-D

3. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

I have no fucking idea why you crazy colonials live in places where the weather is trying to kill you. I was two months old last time there was a hurricane in Britain and even then the way my mum tells it she had a fairly good time camping out in the living room with a camping stove which is not quite the same as getting your house demolished. Seriously, I have no idea how you deal with that. Living somewhere that you can't necessarily take it for granted you house will still be there when you get home is... That is a dwelling for the adventurous.

JPClyde likes this.
  4. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

I'm going with that, as it sounds alot better than 'I really don't have a clue how to add a working gif to a post :twisted:)

5. Wreybies

The year of Charlie (4), Jeanne (3), and Frances (4), Floridians were deeply and truly traumatized. Plywood stayed up over people's windows well into the next year. Our HOA asked people to please take them down when the season was over and were curtly told to fuck off. They didn't press the matter.

6. Wreybies

It's soooooo important for Brits to remember that the first caucasian "Americans" to die in the freezing blizzards of the New World were, in fact, ex-pat Brits.

We are you, you are us, like it or lump it.

7. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Fences were torn down, a piece of debri fell into a friends house, and the roof of the court house downtown blew off.

8. Wreybies

My house actually weathered all three storms surprisingly well. It was an older home (as were most in my neighborhood) so had already been "tricked out" for hurricane readiness. Most places that saw real damage were newer construction. It was perfectly common for a while to see people getting their homes repaired and if their garage was open, you could see clean through to the back windows because all the inside gypsum walls were ruined and removed, only the shell was worth saving. I lost the screened-in porch around my pool. Never found it. Just whoosh....

9. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Well I am in Colorado Springs so I don't think anyone was expecting us to deal with hurricane like winds blow in. We also rarely get Tornadoes. And then when we do, people freak out and twiddle their thumbs up their ass because who'd thunk that.

10. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

We are more like cousins. The yanks are definitely the black sheep of the family, but we need your money to keep the old family estates from the bailiffs so at Christmas we smile and try not to talk too much about your latest girlfriend. Britain is clearly the stern patriarch whose monocle keeps popping out.

11. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

AUSTIN, TX

as of 6:04 pm CDT

96°
    PARTLY CLOUDY
    feels like 103°
    H -- L 77°
    UV Index 2 of 10

Ugh. This is our EVENING temps. We're at 99-101 during midday. Lows in the upper 70s. It sucks.

12. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Apparently I go from "Well, it's warm but I'm OK" to "Oh My God It's Hot" right around 97 degrees. Which isn't really that hot; I spent much of my childhood in St. Louis, where the temperature is higher and so is the humidity.

It's 98.4. I'm inside now. The air conditioning is working and I'm trying to rehydrate my brain.

Edited to add: In the time it took to write that it apparently went up to 99.8.

13. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Ironically. I was born in a colder country. But! I have cold sensitivity and a high heat tolerance. 80 - 90 is pretty comfortable for me. When everyone else is sweltering and complaining its hot I am normally not hot. You know its hot when I master of heat am becoming hot and overheated. Or at least, thats with experience with those around me.

To me hot is in the 100s. But Colorado has a very dry heat. Lack of humidity it just sucks forth the soul straight from out of you.

14. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

It's been hitting 30 Celsius/86 Fahrenheit lately here in London, and it's sweltering, worse at work, where we have a tin roof, I'm going through well over my recommended water intake to keep myself hydrated.

15. Wreybies

Where I live, 30ºC is a brisk February morning. :whistle:

16. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

35 is as hot as it gets in the UK. Our February is in the single digits.

17. morning_lightning

morning_lightning Member

i'm in florida and it's been going back and forth from broiling hot to pouring rain.

speaking of charlie, my porch was ripped off and there was an alligator farm that flooded and allowed the alligators to escape and my sister had a couple living in her yard!!

and for some reason, we're still here. . . . . .

Wreybies likes this.
  18. Wreybies

I spent most of my formative years in Melbourne Beach. The saying was "Don't like the weather? Just wait an hour." :-D

19. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

We have similar in Colorado Springs

20. Wreybies

I was there once. I was working for Bassett Furniture at the time and our region was looking to switch to a new software platform (PROFITsystems) and their training/seminar was there.

Also, Van Briggle art pottery is from there. In one of my many lives (the one where I dealt in antiques) I used to collect Van Briggle pieces. Sadly, the market has pretty much completely fallen out of antiques these days, but such is life. Back when I worked in that world, the first and best piece of advice I was given was "Collect what you like because at some point you may be stuck with it."

21. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

It got to 88 in NYC when we were there all this week (back home now)... walking 13 miles on the Sunday in the heat was brutal. Amazing place though!

22. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Least the low-mid 90s here in the NE corner of AZ.

"Phoenix Arizona in the middle of August. Your agent
    is a moron. And the people are like,' But its a dry heat.'
    A bonfire is a dry heat! You don't see me sticking my
    ass in one of those!" -Walter- :p

Millamber likes this.