1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, May 31, 2010.

[​IMG]

Today is the day to honor all those who served in the US military so we could enjoy the freedoms we have today. The holiday dates back to 1868 and honors all who served and those who died for the nation.

Please take a moment today to remember all those who sacrificed so much for us. They deserve the ultimate respect and honor. No matter your thoughts on war, these people made the ultimate sacrifice and gave of themselves for us.

Happy Memorial Day.

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Indeed, Gigi.

[​IMG]

3. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

I'm not American, but it changes nothing. Many wars have been fought for noble causes, whilst others, (in the Middle East recently springs to mind) have been waged for very contentious purposes. Either way, the soldier on the ground is the one who ultimately suffers, and as you rightly say, they deserve our respect and gratitude for their sacrifices.

As Odysseus said in Troy - "War is old men talking and young men dying..."

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I went to Arlington National Cemetery last summer, and there is no place on Earth that is more solemn, sad and beautiful. I highly recommend going there. The respect in that place is palpable.

[​IMG]