1. evan_messy

evan_messy New Member

Memory and Sci-Fi suggestions.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by evan_messy, Jul 22, 2010.

I am writing an alternative history sci-fi story

A man works for a large corporation where he replaces memories and de-programs people for a living.

He deprograms a woman and sees himself in her memory, though he doesn't know her.

She escapes from the gruesome process and leaves him with questions about his own existence.

He goes to extreme lengths to find out who this woman is and what he did in the memory. After he puts the pieces together, should it be revealed he didn't really do anything that horrific, like he imagined? Or should it be something so horrible he wish he never found out?

Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

My suggestion, therefore, is write the story as you see it. You'll make decisions and fill in the details as you proceed. It's good practice to work it out on your own.

3. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

A story got a lot of elements. If you got to possible solutions to the story that you like i would stop at that and work on other aspect of the story. Like characters or the beginning of the story.

When you done some work on this elements I'm sure you will have a gut feeling of what solution fits best with the other elements.

4. untalented311

untalented311 New Member

You know despite what Cogito said, I honestly believe if I was surfing through my local library, and opened the flap of a book, seeing a summary of a book that sounded like yours, than I might pick it up.
    But at the same time he's write, it's the story that matters more than the plot, it's like all the flashiness behind a magician, that's where most of the fun is, not the trick itself. Anyone could do the trick but its the way the magician does it that is impressive.
    I hope that this made sense and wasn't just another one of my confusing metaphors that don't apply to the situation that I'm referencing them to.

5. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

It's really up to you. I have no problem with brainstorming but I don't want to write it for you.

Okay so here's some questions for you to think about with both sides of this and the story in general.

General Story-
    What's the goal of book? What do you want to convey to the reader?
    How can you make the characters relate-able?

Side One, It wasn't anything bad.
    How does this affect him and the woman? (Throughout the story and by the ending of it)

Side two, same questions as above.

6. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

True, it has all been here before. It's up to you how to spice it up.
    Again, it depends on the purpose of the story. If it's just a hobby work then you don't need to care much about what the people think, if it's for sale then you need to put a lot of work into it and take your time. But you definitely shouldn't ask people what they think about the story before you write it. Write without influence and only what you like.