Mental Health Support Thread (NOT for giving medical advice, or debating)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Scattercat, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you still need to talk to someone - although again that's a rational anxiety, not an irrational one, so long as it doesnt stifle your every move.

I had the rational anxiety that my boss was going to constructively dismiss me, but that then turned into an irrational anxiety where i felt scared all the time, and was sometimes too scared to even get out of bed in case something bad happened.

eventually i got the irrational thoughts under control, though i'm still dealing with the rational side ( I just keep telling myself that the very worst he can do is take away a job I don't even like)

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

A few weeks ago when I was at my worst--struggling with a lot of things and trying to keep my head above water--my best friend picked a fight with me and wouldn't let it go. I told her to let it go for once (we talked about this before; that she won't stop if she feels the need to 'win' a disagreement) and she hasn't spoken to me since. Right when I most need someone to talk to. I'm still too fragile to get in touch, because I think it would tip me over if she rebuffed me.

So that feels good.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Please remember that offering medical advice in this thread is not permitted. No one here is a vetted medical professional and the forum will not condone the offering of medical advice for this reason.

Also, as a general note: If you are going to report a post, please don't quote the post or engage it in further conversation. This only complicates the moderation of said posts, which, honestly, is a PITA.

Thank you.

4. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

One of my friends who has been the most supportive person ever started being all weird about my gender and I don't know why. He's known since about a week after we met (flippin August now) so it ain't new info and now has taken to ignoring me since I confronted him about it (he kept nearly outing me in games we play online so I told him that shit does not roll with me). But now I regret confronting him and I don't know what to do. I just want to melt away right now.

5. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Seems like we're all having a rough go right now.

I'm homesick. All-encompassing, stomach-turningly homesick. I just want to be in Illinois. I want my restaurants. I want my zoo. I want my friend. I want a house with a yard and grass and a fence. I want a screened in patio where my cats can play and big windows to let in the light. I want big trees and a small kitchen and a spare room to call my own. I want the quiet of living without a roommate. I want to spend time with just my husband. I want the security that comes with living in a small town where the housing market is cheap and the cost of living won't destroy our savings.

I just want peace. And I don't know when I'll ever have it again.

6. Tenderiser

If we all club together, maybe we can rent an island for a week and do nothing but chill and be kind to each other. :)

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Or come to my house. It's not an island but it's on a river in the middle of endless woods and mountains with none of that modern life bull crap (except Netflix and Wifi :)). And it's a writers' paradise except for the whole Shining insanity potential. I also have an excellent selection of wines and whiskeys and can cook just about anything you can think of! Bring a friend. Bring the kids. The more the merrier!

8. Tenderiser

Sounds perfect!

Homer Potvin likes this.
  9. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

I'm perfectly fine with being the kid in this situation if it means semi-solitude and mental peace. (I can cook pasta for people! :p)

Homer Potvin likes this.
  10. Wreybies

I make a mean curry, both Indian and Thai. :)

Skye Walker and Homer Potvin like this.
  11. Homer Potvin

We make our own pasta where I come from, but you are more than welcome to throw it in the water :D:D:D

12. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

Fuck yes. Sign me up. Thai food and me agree. I'll bring the fish sauce and sticky rice.

Wreybies likes this.
  13. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

I can't even cook pasta. :( But I have cheesecake and pizza. Could use a Shining-style retreat after the week I've had with my mental issues. I'll just be at my typewriter...

14. Tenderiser

Seems like we have food covered. I do Indian head massages... very calming.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  15. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

I know how to do a little bit of acupuncture. Calming points and all that. My mom jumped at the chance to teach me how to stab people helpfully. :)

Homer Potvin and Tenderiser like this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Well, my wife is a nurse with a complete wound care kit in her trunk if any injuries result.

17. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I can umm.... bring candles? No... Not around all that writing equipment. Ummm..... Cats! I can bring cats. They cuddly and sweet and loveable. Plus, their purrs have healing properties. =]

Tenderiser likes this.
  18. Tenderiser

We definitely need cats.

19. Homer Potvin

I'd love to but my wife is allergic to cats. And we have a soon-to-be-neutered puppy that will hump anything in sight (including this laptop as I write this post).

ETA: how about bears? They're starting to wake up. Just leave some food on the porch and you'll have a circus of them in no time.

Skye Walker likes this.
  20. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I assume - "go and talk to someone , dude, seriously" doesn't really qualify as medical advice ? ( I know that isn't what you are refferring too, but just to be clear)

Wreybies likes this.
  21. big soft moose

Hugs Tenderiser ... I have to wonder about the definition of 'best friend' here.... My best mate, I slept with his girlfriend once (we were very much younger than we are now , I was drunk, and stupid).... when he found out he decked me, then we made up ... I can't imagine not talking because of a little difference of opinion.. may be you need a better best friend... and may be she should be the one worrying about you rebuffing her.

Tenderiser likes this.
  22. big soft moose

Sounds like a plan ... i'll bring the miniWMS and smoke some shit .... umm that came out wrong, I'm talking about bbq ing not recreational drug abuse ;)

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  23. Wreybies

No, it does not. Mentioning that perhaps the trained ministration of someone in the medical field is what's wanting, is not in itself medical advice. ;)

Tenderiser likes this.
  24. Homer Potvin

I got you covered. And it's legal :superyesh::cheerleader::supertongue:

(technically not yet in NH, but Maine is a mile down the road!)

25. big soft moose

what ?? BBQing isn't legal in New Hampshire :eek:

Homer Potvin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.