Mental Health Support Thread (NOT for giving medical advice, or debating)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Scattercat, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    ^ Seconded. Same thing here.

But on top of that, I become terribly depressed and angry when it's my lady-time. It's gotten uncontrollable. I get violent and abusive now, and I'm at my worst at times like this. The ridiculous 'S' word starts popping up and I have to have an internal discussion with myself as to whether I even belong on this planet or not. It's a moment of madness, but I deal with it and wait til it goes.

That's the only thing I'd be willing to take medication for, simply because I know it's a chemical inbalance to do with my periods, and so far it's done nothing but get progressively worse.

But as for my down-time, I'm not interested in taking pills for the rest of my life just to change it. I've lived with it for as long as I can remember and I think i'm going to have to accept it.
    Oh, and I don't want councilling either - I just don't. Simple as.

I'm like a toddler - I just have to wait until I burn myself out. Spend a lot of time alone, sleeping and eating comfort food. It's not an ideal solution - but it'll do.

2. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

I think that the Opner should rework the title of the thread.

"is there anybody here who isn't depressed?"

3. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

There is depression as in a mood or state of mind. then there is depression the actual disorder. I have had issues with depression in the clinical sense, although my more pressing mental health concerns are more in the area of anxiety disorders. After I attempted suicide at 14 and went into therapy...we opted against drugs. With time and counseling, I got a lot better and learned how to handle things. I opted to take meds in college when depression and OCD were interfering in my ability to funtcion. I did behavior modification therapy and learned how to cope without meds. Then I had a nervous breakdown in 2006 and have been on meds ever since. I do much better overall on them. Tried going off in December...let's just say people noticed. As for whether or not a doctor will push drugs..there are different treatment plans. Different ones might be appropriate at different stages for you. NO meds...meds while doing therapy until you don't need them, or long term maintenance. That is all stuff to go over with your doctor. Also...finding the right doctor is a challenge. Don't be discouraged if you don't click with the first one.

4. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I had some years with depression, or a depression-like state at least. Mainly it made me feel alienated from the world and prefer solitude. Now, looking back, I think I was just with the wrong crowds, work-wise and such. People I had nothing in common with and never would have. That can have the effect of making you feel at odds with the world.

Knowing that there are people out there who share your understanding of life is a huge help. If I were to offer any advice to my past self, it would have been to go out in the world more.

5. wishyoucould

wishyoucould New Member

The Kingdom of Mandar, overlooking the glistening
    yes i have depression as well sometimes it will get so bad that im starting to think its something more. i am currently seeing a counselor and will (maybe) start on meds this december...grr..

6. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

In my experience, depression is as great as the problems it causes. There's nothing wrong with having the occasional day where you'd just rather withdraw from society and feel 'sad', but when depression begins to affect your ability to function harmoniously in everyday life, then you have a problem that needs to be examined more closely.

Depression has many layers, from the superficial initial layers of feeling blue (and consequentially), a bit withdrawn; to the inner, more complex layers, whereby your depression causes you to become physically ill and you begin to lose control of your emotions and behaviour without even being provoked.
    Often, depression may not even be the cause of how you're feeling; depression has a high co-morbidity with many different mental afflictions, such as bipolar and anxiety disorders, and also physiological problems, like an ill-functioning thyroid, vitamin/mineral deficiency, or an electrolyte/hormonal imbalance.

What I'm trying to get at here is that, and this goes for ANYONE experiencing a problem with their mental health, is that you need to undergo a proper, physical and psychological evaluation by a doctor, before concluding that you suffer a specific problem, and how much control over that problem, you do and do not have.

If you're worried about how accurate a single doctor's evaluation is, go see another one and ask for a second opinion.
    Seriously, it is not wise to just to sit back and let your psychological problems simmer at the brim, thinking that it's something you must accept as a part of you; they'll either manifest into something more severe, or you'll experience a rather hasty mental breakdown (I've seen it happen).

I have awful anxiety problems and for ages I never wanted to take control over them. I'd have moments following a panic attack and think, 'I guess this is just how I am.. I've lived with it this long, I guess I'll have to accept it as an inevitable part of my identity'.. Man, how this notion resonated within me when I first got up the courage to seek help... I suddenly realised that I don't have to live in paralysing fear every day of my life. It may be a part of my identity, but it is a part that I have control over.

Also, psych. medications have received a fairly harsh wrap in my opinion, especially by people who've never used them. In the beginning I avoided using any psych. medications, I did not like the notion at all... but I'm so glad I gave them a go. I have such a higher quality of life than I did before, and this quality is only improving as I adopt a healthier way of living.

Anyway, apologies for the ramble, I guess this is just a topic I feel strongly about. Haha.

7. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I was reading over all of the former posts and I am surprised that so many people suffer with depression and other mental health concerns. As for me, I think our mental health is as important as our physical health. I will tell my story this time and I most likely wont bring it up again in the public threads. I have talked one on one with a few of you guys about it. I am not one to allow it to define who I am, I have depression, it doesn't have me.

When I was 26, my sever depression, anxiety, and panic disorders came to a head. I was experiencing phantom pain and I couldn't get out of bed, drive, talk on the phone, or even deal with a grocery list. The simple things we so often take for granted had become overwhelming mountains. Somewhere in the middle of all this I began to think of suicide as my only way out. I had attempted it when I was 15 and then again at 16. The idea wasn't frightening to me. My head was a mess.
    I was admitted into the hospital for abdominal pain and after three days of finding nothing, my doctor came into my room, and gently said, "My dear, you have a choice, you can either get help for your depression or I am going to admit you into a mental health facility for up to 60 days." I chose to go to the Psychologist he recommended. It was the best thing for me, honestly, it was the best decision "by force" that I have ever made. Through it all I have learned what triggers my emotional episodes, I discovered that I have a chemical imbalance which causes my highs and lows...yes, I am sure you guys have noticed how I can be sooooo happy one day and then I am completely down the next. The most important thing I have learned about this condition, I will never be "well", it is ever a part of who I am. I can do things to help with the symptoms, like go out for a walk when I want to stay in. I journal down my feelings when I am overwhelmed with something big. Exercise helps as well as meditation. I have to stay on top of what's going on in my head or it will get away from me.

Finding the right doctor can make all of the difference in the world. My therapy was completed without the help of drugs, she chose not to give me the prescriptions the Psychiatrist had prescribed because of my dependence risk as well as my risk of suicide. I am not going to kid you, it was very difficult to work through. I mean when you can't drive or even handle your business over the phone, to go against the grain is hard to over come. But I did get through it, though sometimes that ugly monster tries to rear it's head. I take it day by day, knowing that I have family and friends who love me and will help me through those hard times.

8. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

There is nothing more depressing than being around depressed people who meander around with perpetual grimaces and never quite accept the compliments that you give them. Strangely enough, when I find myself depressed for whatever reason I have the same toxic response to overly happy folk who haven't any room in their cheery little sunshine life for those who are human and react to situations differently than a nervous smile and plenty of bourbon. I think what I am trying to say is that I get depressed from time to time and at times I am absurdly happy for little reason. I do believe they call that being human, but maybe I am horribly wrong.

I've always hated doctors, though. They're experts so you feel as though you have to trust what they say. Instead, I like to find my own happiness and know that I am self reliant. I don't need a pill or a doctor or a friend or my dog or my bike or anything else to make myself happy, I can do it all by myself if I want. And since I am able to do that I surround myself with dozens of individuals and enjoy the fruits of self reliance.

Mind you, I am able to do all of that because I most likely don't have any mental disorders other than a strange bit of anxiety I catch every now and again. Anyone who finds themselves in a state of constant depression that cannot be willingly lifted should probably go and see a doctor of some sort. That's not to say you have to believe that doctor, but it's always good to be safe when it comes to mental health. Then again, if you're a writer it's probably a good thing if you have a nice little gaggle of mental disorders to play around with. Hell, look at the Marquis de Sade... alright, bad example.

Nothing quite says good literature like lunacy.

Good luck either way :)

9. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

I used to be.

And now I work out all the time and have lots more friends.
    So not really anymore.

And my writing sucks now.

10. arron89

arron89 Banned

I used to be really depressed as a teenager...probably not clinically depressed, just really withdrawn, angry, sad. I think a lot of my recovery had to do with rejecting the idea of "self-esteem"...I think there's this mythologising of happiness that says it is purely internal, that it comes from inside and that its just a choice to be happy. I guess that must work for some people, thinking about happiness that way, but it didn't for me. Instead, I came to consider happiness as something that is produced externally, and something that is always relative. I'm not a self-regenerative well of happiness.

11. Vapor

Vapor New Member

The term is bandied about so much that it's hard to know what anyone means when they say "depression". Doctors are not infallible either. Some people have good experiences taking meds but I would like to warn that for some it is a horrible experience with terrible consequences (I love how increased risk of suicide is labeled a "side effect"). If something feels wrong then don't do it, no matter how much doctors and family tell you you are sick and can only be cured by taking meds for your "chemical imbalance". I would say exhaust all options within your control first, like clean diet, exercise, adequate rest and social activities. Then, see a priest or a therapist and only as a last resort let them flood your brain with drugs.

12. Eoz Eanj

Doctors don't 'flood' your brain with drugs (responsible doctors that is). Farrout, over-reaction much? This is why I was so hesistant to take medication, because of its bad (overkill) reputation. I take an extremely low dose of medication, and it has done wonders for myself. Yes, there were side effects for the first three weeks I took it, but they were far from anything severe. Although, with this said, I do agree that other non-drug therapies are required in order for a long-term intervention to be effective. Also, to add, sometimes medication just happens to be the facet that is most significant factor in the effectiveness of an intervention (such as in my case).

13. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Saw a doctor just over month ago, found out I have Bi-Polar, type two (not primary because I have no voices talking too me). Was put on a few meds and 15 free counselling sessions free thanks to Medicare

Talking is better than meds in most cases, but talking couldn’t help me fracture two fingers and smash up my laptop and a handful of other items, so I’m pretty much stuck on them 9though I still talk). 4 weeks later I’m feeling something I have hardly ever felt. Human.

If you know a good doctor see them, if not ask round, some doctors WILL just put you on meds without spending time to find out what’s up. I spent 45 minutes with my doctor when I first went in.

One will do what one must.

Do some research, there are also lots of local events for people who are depressed, or think they are. People get together and just talk, or listen. Maybe if you live in or near a decent sized town you can ring up community centres.

14. elephantmango

elephantmango New Member

Occasionally

Not that much, but when something really bad happens my depression can last for a lot longer than normal, especially if someone has died. I'm surprised I was never diagnosed with minor autism, because I can form unnatural connections to certain things.

15. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Good for you that you had a good experience, but in this thread at least the negative side is quite underrepresented. My experience on them was sheer hell, and it pains me to read countless stories online of people being prescribed huge cocktails, with drugs continually added to deal with side effect complaints. I don't see what "bad overkill" reputation you are talking about; every night on the network news there are drug commercials for depression. Also the majority of doctors I've seen, with all their authority of knowledge (hence feel trustworthy), totally downplay the possible bad effects and speak of it like a benign thing. People *should* be hesitant that a drug is going to have just a specific, desirable effect on a system as complex as emotion and cognition.

16. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Well i was thinking suicidal thoughts myself, and well the side effect to that could have been death. maybe not, but its not a fun game.

I'm not pro drugs at all, but it depends what level of depression your on.(and this is where so many doctors fail)

For me real dwepression is something thats with you, not something that comes and goes when life throws you a curve ball and gores away in a few wr=orking days.

People who get depressed through such means as thngs like a death, bad grades, lack of sleep etc etc should be seeking other means than pills anyway IMO.

THOUGH i must say i was given a few under the counter sleeping pills to help me, which im still not truly sure why. I took one and slep 33 hours straight (was half a pill and i was given 3), just for a quick reboot i think, but i wasent pleased about that (sorry rambling)

17. Eoz Eanj

You misunderstand. I'm saying the negative side effects of psych medications are over-represented in this thread, (and, arugably, in other mediums of the media). Yes, I believe the majority of doctors do not evaluate their patients properly and therefore put them on medication that they don't actually need to be on, and also prescribe medication as a 'quick' fix for their patients problems; the bandaid solution as one would say. It's not neccessarily all the doctors fault (although, I do believe some are just plain irresponsible), as the majority of them do have good intentions, but either do not have the resources or energy to conduct a thorough examination of their patients (at least in Australia that is, our health system is falling apart), or , are prescribing medication with uterior motives, such as through financial benefit on behalf of drug companies. I'm certainly not ignorant as to the controversy behind the use of psych. medications, all I'm trying to say is that it's a very good idea to recieve a proper medical examination before one abandons the notion of using psych. medication completely. I think you'll find that sure, the majority of those whom report being affected by depression, are not so severely affected by it that they need to resort to medication to help restore their neurochemical function, but rather, need simply to make alterations to their lifestyle and cognitive practices (ode to the power of positive thought, for one).. but sometimes, in the minority of cases (such as myself).. medication is actually worth a shot, and can (actually) yield profoundly positive results. Oh, and another thing, I believe it's a misconception that once someone begins taking a medication, that they're stuck with it for the rest of their lives.. yeah, not true. Sometimes, in extremely severe cases, the person in question does need to be on medication.. but in others, once the person feels as if they're psychologically recovered, then so begins the process of removing medication from their lifestyle.

Anyway, you get the picture, sorry for dribbling on.

18. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Well I'm glad they helped you and I'm certainly not saying no one should ever use them. I just think it should be the very last thing a person tries after less invasive means of combating depression (or anxiety, ADD etc). It just frustrates me the prevalence of prescriptions these days. As Mercurial said, it's more unusual now to meet someone who's NOT been on some kind of psych med than one who has. When I was facing a very hard time in my life no one told me that the meds might be harmful; doctors, counselors and family all tried to assure me despite my misgivings. It was a big mistake for me to ever take those meds, so I wish I'd had someone who gave me a "farrout over-reaction" as to their danger, because in my case it would not have been an exaggeration.

19. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

What follows is a lengthy post containing:
    - What a depressive disorder is.
    - A list and explanations of depressive disoders.
    - Typical treatments for the various disorders.
    - Controversy over medicine.
    - My own story.

Mixed in, of course, is my opinion. My opinion is not an expert opinion --I am an 18 year old high school senior. However, I did have a form of depression years ago. (I no longer need medicine or counseling.) I do intend to become a psychiatrist. I take undergraduate courses in biology and psychology currently. I work closely with a mental facility. I interview medical officials often for two separate newspapers I work for. And I have grown up in the psychiatric field my entire life.

I felt necessary to post this, even though it took quite some time to write out, because I feel the source of the disagreement on this thread stems from people drawing from their own experiences --but failing to realize that we all (everyone on the planet, really) have different forms of depression from time to time.

While I am appalled at the overprescription of drugs, I would hesitate to say that it's the medicine you should fear --it's the person prescribing them. And it's not necessarily the doctor / pharmacist at fault. We live in a world where lawsuits are skyrocketing. Any doctor looking to protect his own life and career would want to prescribe too much than too little, thereby endangering a patient's life.

Let's first examine the differences between all of us that is leading to some of the debating here. There are many different forms of deppressive disorders, at many different levels.

There is general depression which comes in mild, moderate, and major degrees. Mild depression is fleeting and may prohibit the patient from doing day-to-day activities. It does not prohibit the patient from small tasks, like getting out of bed. Mild almost always has a recent source for the abnormal behavior --job loss, a death in the family, even sending the first child off to university are all typical sources for mild depression.

Moderate depression typically lasts from weeks to months and sometimes does affect a person's day-to-day tasks like getting out of bed.

Mild to moderate depression is often synonymous with the term dysthymic disorder, but you have been informed: They are not the same. Dysthymic disorder is a mild to moderate depression, but it affects a person all day, every day and has been doing so for over two years.

Then there is major depressive disorder (MDD) which is often in a class all its own because of its severity. This is when a person is usually classified as clinically depressed. It's usually diagnosed when a patient becomes a danger to himself or others (suicidal or homicidal ideations or attempts are most common), and shows signs of lasting depression.
    There is often confusion between those with MDD and those who have suicidal ideations (and nothing more). Someone who jumps from a building because of a lasting mental fog and shows signs of depression probably has MDD. Someone who just lost his job but previously showed no signs of depression is not likely to be depressed, but distressed.

Bipolar disorder is another depressive disorder in which a patient will suffer from manic and depressive episodes and rarely feels what society would consider "normal." These swings up or down can last as shortly as hours or as long as months. Bipolar disorder is treatable but very few accept medication when they most need it. While people with depression are more likely to think rationally (because they are depressed and therefore generally slower to act), someone with bipolar is much more dangerous to themselves because they are much more impulsive. There is still a lot of work to be done in the field of bipolar medicinal research.

Then there is Seasonal Affective Disorder (appropriately abbreviated as S.A.D.). SAD is typically the reason behind the increase in admittants to mental facilities and stress centers during the winter. Winter robs us of endorphines, and people with generally low endorphine levels already are likely to enter a state of extreme depression. For the record, this can be prevented almost instantaneously with a natural lamp. The only time a lamp wouldnt work is if someone with SAD also has another depressive or anxiety disorder, which is very common.

Mild depression usually needs no treatment and can be resolved with time. Mild depression is common when a loved one dies, for instance. Time generally heals these issues.

Moderate depression can be treated without medicine but will oftentimes require a lifestyle change. Exercise, eating right, putting yourself in healthier situations (IE: your peer group has major influence over your state of mind, whether you want to realize it or not). It will sometimes be treated medicinally and should be treated with verbal therapy.
    MDD is almost always treated with medicine and therapy.
    SAD can be absolved with a natural light lamp, unless there is another contributing source to the depression.
    Bipolar disorder, at this stage, should be treated with medicine. Generally, these sufferers are very impulsive. While the medicine tends to elicit lethargy, I'd rather be a live, sedated person than a dead one, dont you agree?
    Dsythymic disorder suggests that there is a minor chemical imbalance and short-term medicine is sometimes all a person needs.

Now to move on to the controversy over treatment.

It would be downright irresponsible and stupid for both the professional and the patient to reject medicine if the patient has bipolar disorder or MDD. No matter how much progress is made via verbal therapy, these people have chemical imbalances which can be helped with verbal therapy, but not cured. Medicine can cure MDD and monitor bipolar disorder. It's very unlikely for someone who is sick to heal themselves without medicine in these circumstances. Besides, it should be noted that verbal therapy is often very distressing to a patient for the first few times and can even be a catalyst for a suicide attempt. Medicine is absolutely necessary in these cases (in my non-expert but extremely well informed opinion), at least for a while.

I'll reiterate: Medicine saves lives. Of course there are risks --there are risks with benign medications like birth control! Remember that people are vastly different from one another! That's why more than one medication exists for a certain problem, and it's also why doctors monitor their patients extremely closely in the first few weeks of medicinal treatment.

Am I saying that medicine is the only way? No. Read my post on page one. Therapy saves lives as well, and statistically speaking, treatments that include medicine and psychotherapy are the most successful.

Am I saying that the world is not overmedicated? No. Read my post on page one. I could add that it is partially the patient's ignorance in the medical field that contributes to this. A general practitioner is more likely to prescribe medicine blindly for a condition than a specialist in the field of said condition. A government paid doctor, or any doctor that is suffering financially, is more likely to prescribe medicine quickly because it is cheaper. Use your head.

And while doctors are not idiots in the previously established vein, they are also not idiots in the way that psychiatrists will not prescribe medicine for someone with mild depression but will for someone with MDD. And when they do, they generally prescribe medicine in very low doses and watch cautiously. It would be irresponsible and very risky for a psychiatrist not to prescribe medicine quickly because they are then responsible for the patient's death, if he chooses to end his life! You can always take someone off of medication, but you have limited chances to save them by putting them on it.

I for one would have died without Lexapro, a medicine used to treat both MDD and general anxiety disorder. Believe you me, I was very hesitant to take the medicine, and would have rejected it had I not been a minor at the time. The state forced me to take it. Even while depressed, I was a rational thinker and under different circumstances would have accepted the medicine and help, but the reason I was landed there, doctors say, is because of another medicine which was used to treat a much more benign problem.

Medicine is certainly imperfect, but it's not a bad thing either. It saves millions of lives every day; It's designed to help you! Do some research before taking a medicine you're unsure about. I always do (especially now, when the health insurance field is in a frenzy). But dont reject it simply for what it is.

Hopefully this has cleared some things up.

20. Eoz Eanj

Thankyou Mercy, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Man, I need to work on my articulation, haha.

21. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I probably do. I've had suicidal thoughts during junior high school, even now I usually swing between severe highs and lows over the course of several weeks, and my mother has needed medication for depression so it runs in the family. During the lows I frequently find myself unable to do simple things that are nessecary for my own well-being, sort of a super laziness. I haven't ever been to a doctor for diagnoses though. There's no point because I couldn't afford either councelling or medication even with my insurance.

22. Seniorladyvideogamer

Seniorladyvideogamer New Member

I started getting depression with the change of life. I can remember the first time I got it quiet bad. My mind started racing back over my life and I came to ther realisation I acheived nothing in this life. I guess that is one reason why I started writing a book. I am just glad I do not get depression all the time. It seems to come and go. The change of life in women can cause numerous problems including depression.

23. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

If so, you can just ignore him or her. You don't need to go see that particular doctor again. You can either decline the prescription, or take it and never use it.

Some people find that medication helps, others that it does nothing, and yet others that the side effects are worse than the condition it's supposed to treat. It's very individual. Try it for a few weeks, and if it helps you, fine. The modern type of anti-depressants (SSRI:s) is a relatively cheap and easy way to treat depression. If they don't help, try therapy, or changing those things in life that are making you feel bad.

A new, expensive anti-depressant doesn't need to be more effective than a cheap generic that the patent has run out on. Once again, it's individual; different people get best results with different substances.

Not necessarily. Depending on the medicine and the patient, the side effects may be so serious and anxiety-inducing that life becomes unbearable. Being dead may be preferable to living under torturous circumstances.

I was treated for OCD and anxiety for several years, with minimal improvement. As soon as I stopped taking the medication, without my doctor's recommendation, I quickly started getting better, and the OCD was soon completely gone. Some time after, I visited another doctor who informed me that the medication I had received was the wrong one for my condition.

The side effects were close to unbearable, and some side effects gradually got worse over time, like the worsening of my short-term memory and the cramps in my facial muscles. The medication gradually made me more handicapped while I suffered through life. If I hadn't stopped taking it, dying early would probably have been preferable.

24. Rotten Timbits

Rotten Timbits New Member

I suffered from depression for a solid year. The next year I felt like a zombie, I couldn't feel sad or happy, any feelings really. It was worse than depression. I don't regret it, I learned a lot about myself from those experiences.

I still sometimes lapse in and out of depression but for short periods of time. I find that I have a lot of emotions built up inside that I don't express and often I let people walk all over me. Unconsciously I've been starting to be use sarcasm in a joking matter to express when someone is being a ****head. I blame this on watching too much Daria. I've been noticing I do not have those built up emotions lately. I suppose in some sick way this has been helping me.

Well I guess I have a cartoon to thank for my happiness, now all I have to worry about is my insanity.

25. mummymunt

mummymunt New Member

I was first diagnosed with depression when I was 14, hardly surprising since not long before that my father was diagnosed with a terminal illness.
    I battled depression on and off for years after that, with no treatment (I think I was too young and stupid to realise I needed it, lol). After my daughter was born when I was 26 I suffered severe post-natal depression, bordering on psychosis. I didn't want meds but I really needed them then, and after a few false starts I got myself better. I was better for one whole week, actually, then I fell pregnant with my son and crashed again. The depression was even worse that time, and medication didn't help much so I gave up.
    In September 2008 I caught the last bit of a segment on a tv show about bipolar disorder and nearly fell over. I listened to what the lady said, then wrote down everything I'd been experiencing over the past few years then rushed down to my GP that day to talk about it. I was consequently rushed off to a meeting with no less than five psychiatrists at Mental Health Queensland, and diagnosed that afternoon with Type 2 Bipolar Disorder. Yay.
    The meds for BD are freakin' awful, and had almost no positive effect while pummelling me to near death with disgusting side effects.
    My nanna and a family friend died within a week of each other in February this year, so of course I completely flipped out and crashed into another depression. I immediately began weaning myself off the meds and have been off them ever since. I'm doing pretty well most of the time, but during the recent school holidays, having the kids at home full time was too much and I started a downhill slide, which doesn't bode well for the upcoming Christmas/summer holidays!
    I in no way suggest you should not try medication - it saved my life more than once. I do suggest, though, that as well as exploring the right medication for you (which can take time to find), you look into the benefits of a good diet, regular sleep and regular exercise. Taking a daily walk has had a profound impact on my mental health, all of it good. Add to that the fact that I've lost 10kg so far (the mood stabiliser I was on helped me gain 30kg in record time, a side effect I wasn't made aware of until I'd been on it for two months and had expanded considerably) and can now spend quite a lot of time each day listening to audiobooks on my iPod, and I'm a much happier gal :) I hate exercise with a passion - I'm a very lazy person - but I'm hooked on walking now. I feel all wrong if I don't get a walk in every day.
    I also suggest you get your hormone levels tested, as well as things like blood sugar. That same mood stabiliser that turned me into a walking tent also sent my testosterone levels through the roof and I lost about a third of my hair. But anyway, hormone imbalances and dietary deficiencies (or sometimes too much of a vitamin or mineral) have a huge impact on mental health and need to be looked at. From what I've read recently, there seems to be a link between mental health problems and hypoglycemia (certainly in my case), so learning how to stabilise your blood sugar (like with walking) can really help level out your mood.
    I could go on for hours, but if you'd like to talk more about it just send me an email or something and I'll see if I can bore you to death :)
    I hope you feel better real soon, hon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.