1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Mrs Malaprop has a serious scene

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Aug 23, 2010.

One of my characters I have used as my Mrs Malaprop she now has a serious scene (been arrested for poisioning the king). I'm inclined to make her malapropisms more frequent but more serious but I am not sure if that would be annoying?

Has anyone had a similar situation and how did you handle it? I have seen some dramas where this has been handled with great pathos but never seen it handled in a novel.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

My roommate malaprops all the time, but when he's under pressure, he doesn't do it as much. Maybe he's more focused on what he's saying in a tense situation. Your character's malapropisms might become LESS frequent in the situation you describe.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Thanks Minstrel - I think you are right when my ME is bad I malaprop left right and centre but fear sends me one of two ways completly sensible or so completely to pieces I can't get anything out straight I get my words muddled and in the wrong order.

Think I am after your post leaning to her not saying anything and then spewing out a bunch of things that don't make sense. I want my MC to feel really sorry for her, I don't want her to come across as a nasty character.