Tags:
  1. Timothy Schablin

Timothy Schablin New Member

mentioning your book on forums

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Timothy Schablin, Mar 6, 2018.

I've gotten a lot of advice about mentioning your book on forums that align with the particular type of book. From my experience, most forums frown on that. I've even gotten kicked off of forums for doing so.

Is there an acceptable way of doing it?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

spam is never going to be acceptable ... but if you join forums as a genuine member, once you've been there a while you could mention you book in passing .... its not a viable marketing technique though

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Probably not. When a forum starts allowing marketing, that forum tends to collapse and die. Many forums do allow you to have a link to your website in your profile. Some may allow it in your sig. But blatant marketing in the body of a post is going to be an issue.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

We do have a Member Publications section. I don't know where it appears on everybody's screen, but for me it's the large sidebar box at the right side of the window, just below the menu bar. It features a little blurb about each book and a picture of the cover, as well as links to the Amazon site where you can buy it, etc. I am not sure how you get your book in there, but do look into it.

5. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Information on getting your book promoted on the site can be found in this topic. There are membership requirements outlined in the initial post.

There's also the WritingForums bookstore, as well.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I don't think he meant on this forum - I read it as being about interest forums to do with his book ... like the MC is a kitesurfer so you mention it on a kite surf forum

7. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

Pretty sure you just message @Wreybies.

Having said that, OP, we don't mind (so much) when you talk about how you, as a writer, approach a topic in a book you've written in a thread about something specific. What, I gather, we do disapprove of, is going into threads and saying, "Hey, I wrote a book about this, it's called Title of Something I Wrote and it's on Amazon for [a reasonable amount of money]!" This site isn't about promotion, even though it has an avenue for that. We're writers helping writers (and sometimes, people who want to be writers pretending they know what they're talking about, like me!) to be better writers. The end goal, for most of us, is writing a book, or helping someone else do so. Not necessarily promoting our own. For instance, I adore Iain as a person. No idea what he's written. (I looked at his blog once, it's scary.)

8. big soft moose

if you want to get a book in upload it to resources (under member publications) once a month or when daniel can be found they find whats been uploaded and load it up

9. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I belong to a couple of forums devoted to the work of a certain classical composer, whose work I quote in my novel (in fact, I use one of his compositions as a kind of leitmotif). I once asked the admin of one of them if I can mention the book once it's published. She said I might, but that was a couple years ago, and I'm going to run it by her again before I do it. In general, anything is permitted that redounds to the greater glory of said composer, but something commercial like this may go too far.