1. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

Method of plotting I've been finding useful...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Dracon, Apr 1, 2017.

I've always struggled with plotting, and ran myself in rings with this story. Constantly confusing myself, forgetting what's going on, leaving plot holes - the whole works. I tried various different methods to help combat it, but never found mapping or sticky notes that effective to use somehow. The plot tree just still remained too complex. Partly my own doing, (and I have done some simplification) and partly by nature of the length of the book. I devised a new way of visualising that places emphasis solely on how the plot unfolds for the reader rather than myself. That way I hope I can get a better sense of what I need to write, what elements of the plot I should reveal and when.

I know everybody has their own methods, but I thought I may as well just share it. If anybody else was struggling, then perhaps its worth a shot. I doubt I'm the only one to have stumbled across it.I've been filling in this table this evening, and already coming to resolve some of the plot-related issues I've had where before I'd failed.

I've made a table with columns:

Chapter:- The chapter number.
    POV:- I have two.
    Revelations:- What new information does the reader learn? What is revealed in this chapter? Each point is condensed down into one sentence, or less.
    New questions posed:- So new information has been revealed in the chapter. What are the natural questions that the characters (and the reader) will ask next? What direction is the story going? Again, no bulky paragraphs, just a bullet point of questions, ideally ones that can be answered as "revelations" later in the table.
    Chapter question is resolved in:- For my own reference, I want to know when that information is revealed to the reader. Most chapters will have multiple questions, and so I've numbered them and they can be easily referenced. What I aim for is some nice progression - so the reader will find something out, which will prompt a question, and then later that question will be answered, and another question prompted, and so forth and so forth...
    Questions resolved in this chapter:- Related to the previous point, but inverted.

Not everything will be related to the main plot, of course. There are subplots and worldbuilding, and so I've used a colour key to set apart in my mind different strands of the story without getting all tangled up. I've mainly concentrated on the main plot, but I suppose you could include some revelations and questions about certain characters as well.

I think the most important thing this way is that it isn't a scene-by-scene breakdown, and makes little reference to individual scenes whatsoever, but still travels through the entire plot. The actual scenes aren't really that important at all when I'm trying to think about the plot. More important is what those scenes are trying to say, what evolves from the scene.

Edit:- Probably more useful for trying to resolve current issues and doing some troubleshooting/revision like I am, rather than starting a new plot from scratch (obviously then, you'd need some good idea of the scene and setting you're writing!)

2. dragonfire309

dragonfire309 New Member

This is really well done. I, too, have had trouble just planning the out the chapter and ironing out the more important details. While this 'outline' does simplify the chapter, it does cut straight to the important stuff. If you don't mind, I'll start using it! Well done :)

3. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Here's a few things that helped me track information in my book.

-Write the thesis, theme, or main idea of a chapter at the top of said chapter. If you ever forget what you're trying to write, you can just look up a few pages, and tada!

-Summarize the end of a chapter with a list of changes that chapter invoked on your setting, so you can track your plot from chapter to chapter.

-Outline your plot prior to writing, and get the outline itself critiqued. Have a clear list of events that people can pick apart before you start writing in detail.

Dracon likes this.
  4. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

I write scenes individually then make them all kiss. See who likes who.

And I also keep track kinda haphazardly with a notebook and some colored sticky notes.

NoGoodNobu and zoupskim like this.
  5. dragonfire309

dragonfire309 New Member

I always outline my plot before I start any writing; it really helps give me a sense of direction and to make sure I don't overgrow the garden. The thesis/theme idea is interesting, I haven't really thought of that!

zoupskim, Dracon and Simpson17866 like this.
  6. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

I know what I'm trying to write and why, but have trouble tying everything together. Hence, having it all scattered around in different files or in lots of different notes just makes things more confusing. Putting everything in one file makes it difficult to break up, so this is why I've been trying to condense it down into the minimum information possible.

As for outlining before writing, I'll know for next time. ;) I didn't have much of a plan going in the first time, and then things developed well out of control in rewriting. You're right - I should have thought about it a bit more. After writing the first draft, I summarised everything into a long word document, got some new ideas out of it and launched straight in without considering potential stumbling blocks.

zoupskim likes this.
  7. Toomanypens

Toomanypens Member

yeah I do this too
    Also I like what is set out in the OP for final edits

8. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I just decide roughly how many chapters I'll want, write a list, like so:
    Then I'll fill in details of what happens in each chapter. I tend to plan stories in my head, so it's more about when stuff happens rather than what happens. I've usually written two or three chapters before I do this. I like your method, it's so organised. I'm definitely a pantser.