Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surtsey

Surtsey Banned

Short Story #metoo

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Surtsey, Jan 20, 2019.

I worry that the majority of readers want comfort stories with clear heroes and villains. And I seriously wonder if an alternative unbiased #metoo story can gain any traction. The story focusses on the victim, and her examination of how she came to be compromised, who or what was to blame, and her role in the crime.

I don't want to be accused of victim blaming.

Thoughts.

2. Odile_Blud

Odile_Blud Active Member

No. There are lots of people who enjoy character driven story that doesn't neccessarily have to have clear heroes and villains. There are lots of books like this that have large fanbases. Different people have different cups of tea. I encourage you to write what you want to write. It will not please everyone, but nothing can. There is an audience for what you want to write.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I would say the majority of short stories don't have a clear hero or villain. Maybe in genre fiction, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are trying to write. The whole "me too" thing is something I've seen in several short stories. But if someone is raped there is a victim, and I would be careful placing any sort of blame on the victim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.