Minimalism or Gimmicky?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by marina, Jul 7, 2009.

1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

No, I was referring to missing commas in The Road. I assumed you were talking about The Road when you said you didn't like reading sentences over again.

2. WashingtonIrving

WashingtonIrving New Member

I really don't like this tagging of McCarthy as a 'literary' writer. This implies that he is aiming at producing a body of work to be pored over by academics, or that you need some sort of 'special' skillset to understand him properly. One thing I think that it is vital to note is that he is working in something approaching a modern version of the oral tradition. At least I've always thought he should be read that way. His books are designed to be spoken to yourself. And, of course, you can get away with a lot more in the way of bending grammatical rules when you speak, because good speaking is all about the effect that you produce.

Obviously I don't mean to suggest that you *should* like him because he's so *important*, but the phrase 'literary' can sometimes be a pejorative term!