1. ravin.sawhney

ravin.sawhney New Member

Missing thing

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ravin.sawhney, Aug 1, 2009.

Hi reader of this post.

Just i want confirm one thing, if we want to write something, we should add and should mix up our thinking and feelings. how many believe this? To write a brainstorming article, post or anything. i want to know your reviews or opinions. :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Huh?

3. FrankB

FrankB New Member

I'll take a stab at it:

The poster might be asking whether we should separate our emotions and logic when writing, or whether we should just let the words flow and sort it out later.

Or not.

4. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Hahahaha, love it.

Frank, I think you've got the right idea - something about a synthesis of rationale and emotion when writing stuff.

Short answer is "depends". Emotions will give your creative writing flavour, but run the risk of ruining a complex debate.

Also - sorry for asking but - I'm under the impression that English isn't your first language. Is that the case?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'd rather wait till we hear an explanation of the statement and question from the poster, than try to translate it ourselves... i work with writers all over the world, many of whom are not fluent enough in english, so am all too familiar with how garbled guesses can get...

ravin... try to tell us what it is you are saying, in more clear/simple english, so we can answer your question properly, ok?

love and hugs, maia

6. ravin.sawhney

ravin.sawhney New Member

yes, you all are saying right. English is not my first language. Actually, i joined this site to make some improvement in my english.

i am asking for creative writing. You know, when we write something it should be able to leave some good impressions on reader. So i was thinking to make it interesting. How can we make it more interesting? I want to talk to someone online, who can help me to learn this.

Sorry for language barrier i put.

Ravin...

7. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

When writing creative fiction, your plot needs logic and your characters need emotions.

This means your plot should work out logically, from point A to point Z, infusing the overall plot with subplots B though Y. You can have one single plot line, with two, three, four...or however many subplots you'd like, but they all have to fit logically into the story, and not just be for the sake of being.

Characters need emotions so that the reader has something to relate to. There is is a finite amount of emotions that humans experience, as such we have a limit with what we can work with. You can have a character devoid of all emotions, but generally they come off like a robot, but that might be a plot point.

Making your story interesting is part of being a writer, and something other writers can't give you. You either write an interesting story that people want to read, or you write a boring piece that no one will read. It's all in the learning of the craft.

Search the web for how to write fiction. There are a ton of websites that have pointers and instructions, basically the same as any "how to" writing fiction books. Also to improve your English, check out English grammar sites. They have a lot of tools for learning proper uses of English.

8. ravin.sawhney

ravin.sawhney New Member

Thank you bluebell80.

9. Cogito

Your personal philosophy will tend to bleed into your story anyway. Any deliberate attempt to "make a point" with your story will likely seem heavy handed (forced and somewhat obnoxious).

A good story comes from the quality of the writing, It comes from the author's ability to make the reader get completely involved in te story, That's not primarily about the storyline. It's mostly the author's ability to paint a picture for the reader, to make the reader fell that he or she is there. It also has to do with the author creating interesting, relatable characters who seem real.

The harder you try to make a story different, or to make it deliver a message, the more that obsructs the telling of the story.

10. ravin.sawhney

ravin.sawhney New Member

hi cogito,

Thank you for helping me. I want now improve it. Does this forum have any practicing area? You know, when i write something it just kills its charm and beauty. I dont know why i feel like this.:confused:

11. Cogito

The weekly writing competitions provide the opportunity to write to a supplied theme. There are also some Word Game exercises that encouirage writing brief passages.

You can also write in your member blog.

It's not uncommon to feel frustrated that the vision in your toughts doesn't sparkle when you put it to paper. Practice. And read, read, read. Pay attention to how other writers use words to create strong images.

It is not a short road to travel, but the sights along the way are incredible.

12. ravin.sawhney

ravin.sawhney New Member

Okay. I will do it and i will make changes in my writing now. :)

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

namaste, ravin...
    i give private 'lessons' when needed, so if that would help, just drop me a line [it's all free, no strings attached]...

many of those i mentor are from your part of the world, so i'm familiar with the syntax problems and can help you with that, as well as with the 'making it interesting' bit...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

14. JavaMan

JavaMan New Member

Are we talking about methods of persuasion to capture a reader's interest? The first post seemed to be talking more about the mercurial nature of rhetoric and sophistry instead.... maybe it's just me.

15. There's writing competitions and you can post your work online, however, I believe there is a rule where, every time you post your own work, you must comment and two other before you do so, and give thorough feed back.
    On your original question: I think one of the most important things is to create things in your story that more than one type of person could relate to. So maybe to do so you can create characters that are different in ways or have interesting sub plots.

16. ravin.sawhney

ravin.sawhney New Member

yes, exactlly. To capture a reader interest, how we can do this?

Thank you to jwatson...